Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Amazingly similar sounding story from Connacht's Shane Delahunt also, he's only 29, retiring to go farming, but the IRFU definitely playing hardball with contract renewals across the provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Tom O'Toole was holding crutches there - not good at all, especially as he's just gained some great form.

Not an overly convincing win for me, despite the scoreline. Stockdale looks a lot sharper and McCann had a positive outing.

Hopefully Munster do us a favour tomorrow.

40-19 now, have to be delighted with that score line given the competition at the top of the table, and Glasgow in a dogfight now.

6 points above Glasgow so guaranteed 3rd place, with potential to get up to 2nd place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Some nice rugby with ball in hand mixed with some average defending.

Is McCann starting to realise his potential? He was my man of the match. Stockdale had a strong game too.

May be my imagination, but I always feel we are a bit slicker in attack with Cooney at 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Also thought McCann was MOTM, coaches starting to realise continued game time benefits players in his case?

Actually thought the Dragons backline was firing nicely, just unable to finish. Had a few nice phases of going wide!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Yeah, for me McCann and Stockdale were the two best performers.

Gilroy is shot. Remember the fella that used to pirouette out of tackles every game? Lyttle would have done serious damage with the ball Gilroy was getting.

The Dragons had a couple of great individual performances - just don't look well coached, particularly.

Is Gilroy still signed on for next year? Either way our wings are lacking some depth in quality with Lyttle moving on. Stockdale and Baloucoune I'm happy enough with but they're injury prone, McIlory is good but may have to fill in at fullback. After that we're scraping the barrel a bit with Sexton and Moxham have yet to convince at all really and Telfer was, concerningly, about the 6th choice back three player for the u20's. I imagine Postlethwaite will fill in if need be but he's fairly slow, so I'd rather he stick to centre.

Can't fathom why we didn't manage to re-sign Lyttle, if Gilroy gets an extension that's criminal.

Our squad looks very shallow next season and as you mentioned sexton/Moxham haven't really done anything special. Though be surprised if their not on pennies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I wonder if Ulster or Lyttle himself decided that he had enough injuries over his career.

He has been injured a lot and maybe it was an issue. Rumours say he intends to go back to the family farm post retirement. Thats not a career that would be particularly forgiving of an abused body.

They'll probably try and move Postelwaite to wing which would be a huge shame as I think he has the makings of a top centre.

But it's true we've no real quality depth next season.

Maybe Ulster should try and sign McErlean. Whether he'd want to leave Leinster is another matter.

Postlethwaite did play wing for Ireland u20's in his first stint, but then again so did James Hume. He's too slow for wing at the top level imo, and although Marshall and McCloskey have a couple of good years left yet, he'll be needed in the centre with Moore being moved around and Hume dipping in form.

Up to second, baby

In our hands now. No excuses now.

Play to our potential and we may get a second seasonal battering at the Aviva by Leinster in a month or so

And I'll be there, front and centre once again.

Less rain please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Cooney is simply a better player than Doak. Doak is o.k. but Cooney is capable of playing at a much higher tempo and this energises the rest of the team. I still feel Cooney should be in the Ireland set up. If your life depended on it, who would you rather have, Cooney or Casey. I know which one I would pick.

This will be gilroy's last year with us. He was never really the same player since his back(?) injury but he's been on the end of some memorable moments for us - his try against Munster in the Heineken Cup back when Thomond was still a fortress has always been one of my fondest rugby memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭jacothelad

He also scored the first ever try at the 'New' Lansdowne stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's sad to see how Gilroy was impacted by his back injury. He was quality.

Great to see Sheridan get a contract!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Big fan of Cooney. Little harsh on Doak there! He's a different SH to Cooney. But the 21 year old Cooney wouldn't be fit to lace his boots!

Massive potential and is going to go on to get 50 plus caps for Ireland.

• Administrators Posts: 53,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

were very underwhelming so far!

We're soft in the tackle and they're causing us bother at the breakdown, same as usual.

Didn't deserve that but boy did I enjoy it.

Toomaga-allen not being resigned is a crime and someone should be sacked!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Good win for Ulster.

2nd locked in.

Home for QF and SF assuming they win the QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

That was a physical match, Edinburgh competing at every breakdown in the 1st half. TBH not sure how Ulster got the upper hand, but 2nd in the league is not to be sniffed at. As on paper there are plenty of teams below Ulster with more star players...

Really enjoyed that game. A real "dig deep" win - last ten (?) minutes with Timoney at wing, Gilroy at 13, Doak at FB. None of whom have played professionally in those positions.

That tackle by Treadwell to deny the try - absolutely superb. Sheer desire.

Slow start, but I think we showed a great deal of character in the last twenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Shehal

Well then we should reevaluate if those star players really are star players!

• Advertisement

Anyone who criticises Ulster after that win tonight needs to remember the 6Ns. Ireland beat Scotland in the 6Ns and there was nothing but universal praise of Ireland having had won with a flanker playing hooker. Well Ulster got over the line despite a very understrength line-up tonight. So credit where it's due.

A flanker playing wing and a 9 playing full back...

Advertisement