Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

That would be a good unit, throw in Crothers also.

Sheridan has some dog, thought McLoughlin had a little more.

Would prefer a Sheridan being allowed to focus on blindside. But would sacrifice him in row for a Crothers, McLoughlin and McNabney back row. Hopefully the latter three can step up to next level of phsyicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I think it'll be more established.

Warwick / Stewart / French

Sheridan / Treadwell

Ewer / McCann / Timoney

And then the back line as suggested previously. We aren't going to have our team against Bulls at home come in completely rusty. With the SA players away it's a fantastic opportunity to win at home against a very good team.

belt-tightening ahoy!

And presumably part of the reason we can't afford Rob Lyttle.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The biggest difference appears to be that our "professional rugby expenses" increased from 4.1 million to 6.5 million.

That's a 60% increase in professional rugby expenses, what on earth did that money go towards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Does anyone know what Professional Rugby Expenses includes? Assuming Wages and travel expenses for away games?

As i posted a few days ago. Get all the young upcoming players into the first team. Much cheaper....we are not winning anything this season or next. So might as well lose while bringing through the next generation. I'd actually be excited to watch them develop.

Post edited by Utah_Saint on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I think Ulster got their squad composition quite badly wrong last season, as evidenced by the fact that 8 players played less than 80 minutes over the whole season (including two scrum halves), with a further 8 playing less than 200. By shaving 5 salaries off the wage bill, and taking Petrie's figure of 700k lost due to the cancelled game at face value, they should break even this year.

Dan McFarland and Dan Soper have actually been relatively honest in a few interviews and social media videos in the last couple of months.

After the collapse in form starting with half-time against Leinster, the coaching ticket panicked (not their word, but it's fairly apparent that's what happened) and began to implement a much more conservative game plan - less young players, much more mauling (for which URC record try scorer Tom Stewart will be ever grateful.) It turned the season around and got us wins, but it was painful to watch at times - our backs play was stifled, as was the progression of young players into the senior team and, indeed, some of our players into the wider Ireland squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Honest yes, and fair play to them, but perhaps more evidence that the squad needs new ideas?

I don't disagree. Dan has done a fantastic - and crucially important - role in picking us back from form a very low place. Soper was a genuinely brilliant skills coach, much less impressive as an attack coach. Newby i dunno... Roddy has turned around our set-piece. Before he came in, our lien-out could be a lottery. But we need an influx of new talent. Or ideas at least.

Aren't both the Portuguese and Fijian coaches moving on? I wonder if Jared is looking his first head coach job...

This will be McFarland's 6th season, and it's almost certainly to be his 6th trophy-less season. Oddly enough I think our best performance of the McFarland era was the close defeat to Leinster in the Heineken QF, and that was in his first season!

I think that is arguably the last big knockout game that Ulster actually put in a really good performance for 80 minutes, and didn't either roll over, fail to show up, or strive to lose from a winning position.

McFarland's time is up for me, I think this season is one too many and I am worried we'll pay a price for this.

• Advertisement

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that if Dan had got the Leicester job that Ulster would have wanted Payne to come back. Alas Leicester went another route and as evidenced today Ulster are in no position to pay him off.

Not like me to be the negative ninny in the house (normally your job awec!) but I agree with all of this.

I think last season was one too far never mind this season.

Dan has done a great job overall, he's moved us forward, but I really hope he doesn't ruin his legacy.

Ulster Rugby: W Addison; M Lowry, J Hume, A Curtis, J Stockdale; J Flannery, N Doak; A Warwick, T Stewart (c), G McGrath; Matty Rea, K Treadwell; D Ewers, Marcus Rea, David McCann.

Replacements: J Andrew, C Reid, J French, C Izuchukwu, N Timoney, D Shanahan, B Burns, S Moore.

Areas of Interest: Lowry on the wing. New guy McGrath starting at TH. Curtis starting at 12 ahead of Smilin' Stewarty Moore. For distribution? Stewart as captain.

Areas of Despondency: Matty Rea starting ahead of Izzy.

Areas of Cheer: Flannery starting. Timoney on bench letting McCann start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

It's not like we have any other options but actually seeing McGrath and French on the first teamsheet of the season really does suck the life out of you.

Why is Matty Rea starting ahead of Izuchukwu?

Why is Angus Curtis starting ahead of Postlewaithe or Stewart?

Where is Sheridan?

Where is Baloucoune?

It's Zebre. I'd be worried about players going into the Bulls game rusty, but as and of itself, there's literally no better time to start non-front line players.

Never mind the Bulls given how we finished last season and how pre season has gone and what is a bit of a mixed bag selection I'd be pretty concerned we may come 2nd tomorrow.

Greg McGrath and James French may turn out to be great signings, but at the moment I'm left scratching my head at why we can't produce our own fecking players and have to rely on 4th or 5th choice players from other provinces. That said good luck to them I want to be proven wrong there.

Not sure why we are resorting to Matty Rea in the second row, it's really disappointing that Harry Sheridan isn't even in the 23. Is he injured?

The backs are grand but I'm a bit surprised Curtis is starting, but it would be good to see him a get a run without injury although thought Postelwhaite would be involved somewhere..

On the upside, Stewart is skipper which is great to see, McCann starts at 8 in what is a huge season for him, Flannery gets the nod at 10, Addison is fit and I'm intrigued with Lowry on the wing. We know Ireland like to use Hansen at first receiver a lot so perhaps this is a nod to that.

So I suppose there are a few things to keep an eye on.

New season...New hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

any streams for this?

edit: nevermind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭OldRio

Zebre making holes in Ulster defence. Lovely try. 14 v 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well this is fun. End to end.

• Advertisement

Ulster good on the ball, not so good in defence so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Great to see Addison back. Was like an early version of the Hansen/Lowe-type of back three player for Ireland, in terms of popping up as a playmaking option.

Ridiculous offload there from Flannery before the turnover.

OK, so we can't defend ourselves, in fact our defence is shambolic...BUT...there are some subtle changes here to how we are attacking. Of course Zebre can't defend either. Flannery doing pretty well so far.

Gonna be a long season ahead...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭StevenToast

How long before Dan is given the bullet?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

I get it's first game etc.

But this is unacceptable defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭supernova5

sweet jesus lads I just saw the score on BBC online, how many minutes are left in this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Shehal

I know its only 1 selection but I felt leaving Izuchukwu out and picking Rea out of position in the SR that a omnishambles like this was going to occur. When Ulster selecta mediocre player like Rea out position in the row just because he is less likely to F up you tend to get shambles like this, to the point I'm not even surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Shehal

My jaw is genuinely dropping with some of this from Ulster. What an absolute shambles.

Advertisement