Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's tough to see Wilson competing with McGrath and French. They're ail level. I rate Wilson from what I've seen. I hope he gets an opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Its really hard to rush THPs. It might be the hardest position to develop. You almost need to have 2/3 always in the academy.

I like French in the loose quite a bit. Its based on one game ( i think it was the wasps one) but he is definitely more athletic than the typical THP. However, he is not a urc level scrummager.. which is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Connacht looked decent in both outings so far, still vulnerable to maul as Glasgow showed last week but protected their ball well and committed to the rucks. Ulster's issues at 3 might see Dooley get the start as a slightly more aggressive lh than Buckley who is also playing great stuff. May also see Dowling start ahead of Murray if Connacht decide to try to fix maul issues but then again Murray's defensive lineout work might be of higher value.

A chance to look at 2 super no 2's compete with DTM and Stewart looking like they will be provincial rivals for many years.

Really looking forward to seeing McCann and timoney battle with Prendergast, Oliver and Hurley Langton who is looking like the find of the season already for Connacht.

McCann looks bulked up, Sheridan is as combative as ever and izu looks like he has plenty to offer.

I'm less impressed with Doak who looked brilliant at under age but seems to have slowed everything down. Blade on the other hand has picked up where he ended last season an all-rounder, perhaps without the finesse required for international level but a constant thorn in every opposition at URC.

Watch out for Connacht's Cathal Forde at 12 a real standout in the first 2 games.

Connacht to take advantage of home setting to win ugly by 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

The frustrating thing about Doak is that he's entirely capable of playing a fast, accurate game. He just seems to default to a slower game more often these days.

Here's the team, and much more concerningly, the list of unavailable/injured players.

Connacht v Ulster, Saturday 4 November, The Sportsground, 7.35pm, BKT United Rugby Championship (Live on TG4, Viaplay and URC.tv.

(15-9) Will Addison, Aaron Sexton, James Hume, Stewart Moore, Ethan McIlroy, Jake Flannery, Dave Shanahan;

(1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, John Andrew, James French, Alan O’Connor (C), Harry Sheridan, Matty Rea, Reuben Crothers, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: Tom Stewart, Andy Warwick, Greg McGrath, Joe Hopes, David McCann, Nathan Doak, Billy Burns, Ben Moxham.

Squad Unavailability list

Steven Kitshoff (RWC Recovery)

Rob Herring (RWC – IRFU Player Management Programme)

Tom O’Toole (RWC - IRFU Player Management Programme / Groin Surgery)

Iain Henderson (RWC – IRFU Player Management Programme)

Stuart McCloskey (RWC – IRFU Player Management Programme)

James McCormick (Shoulder)

Marty Moore (Knee)

Kieran Treadwell (Hip)

Cormac Izuchukwu (Concussion)

Dave Ewers (Concussion)

Sean Reffell (Foot)

Greg Jones (Shoulder)

John Cooney (Calf)

Angus Curtis (Concussion)

Luke Marshall (Concussion)

Rob Baloucoune (Hamstring)

Jacob Stockdale (Ankle)

Mike Lowry (Groin)

Jude Postlethwaite (Hamstring)

• Advertisement

Ouch! Can't see anything but a loss here.

Yep. Go all out, try and get four tries and a TBP.

I'd worry that team don't have it in them to finish within seven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Marshall, Baloucoune and Stockdale's injuries are especially bad in light of them have those particular issues before.

Yeah. I hope this isn't to do with the new playing surface.

We have three first choice players starting - Addison (assuming he gets back to where he was), Hume and Timoney. Timoney out of position.

You could make an argument for O'Connor, but Treadwell/Henderson would be my preferred second row.

Either way, we can make a significantly better team out of our unavailable players.

You'd think that Stu Wilson would have been an option.

• Advertisement

Don’t like our chances in this but hope flannery and crothers play well especially.

True. Upsides are -

More gametime for Flannery.

First cap for Crothers.

First cap for Hopes.

Maybe Sexton will have kicked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Stockdale hurt his ankle after making a break early in the second half, he played kn afterwards and only came off in the last few minutes. I'd hope it's just precautionary and actually most of them are precautionary.

I think it will be a long night, but it will be good to see Crothers, Flannery and Sexton and hopefully Joe Hopes gets a decent run. Hopes seems a pretty decent prospect, wasn't he involved in the Ireland 20s last year while a year young?

He stood out a mile in the last but one Schools Cup Final. How's his progress been at AIL level?

I’ve only seen bits and pieces. I thought he looked good in u20.

I think someone else made the point that THs take a bit longer to develop. That said O'Toole was playing at 20. Hopefully Wilson is developing nicely behind the scenes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Wilson is the same age as Rory McGuire, who only has a couple of caps, so I don't think he is necessarily behind the curve. Sam Illo is a year older and has one senior start, heading into his third year as a pro. Would be good to see Wilson get minutes this season though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Shehal

I also just love how Addison has done everything in his power to screw Ulster the last 2 games he still gets picked. Almost like they'll keep selecting him until he finally costs Ulster a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Almost like they're trying to give him game time to get back up and running after missing so much rugby the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Nothing like academy players getting first caps away from home, in an inter-pro, supported by a pasted together team. The Ulster way!

Character building...

Ideally Reuben Crothers plays at 7 with Ewers at 6 and Timoney/McCann at 8 and Henderson and O'Connor/Treadwell in the row and Kitshoff, Herring and Moore/O'Toole in the front row. I'd have thought that was the best to introduce a young player into the team, but I suppose it isn't always possible.

While I completely agree with your scepticism about how we introduce youngsters, the only player that could possibly be swapped for an uninjured player with more experience in the 23 is Crothers for Marcus Rea.

Their hands are tied and I appreciate the injuries but this is Ulster all over though. It has been for how many years and was always going to come to a head. Our pack situation is as bad as ever!

Standing corrected! I'd take this half of play any day of the week! some serious defensive commitment.

Very unlucky for Crothers

Gutted for Crothers, hopefully he’ll have more opportunities this year.

McCann has been immense, we needed this type of leap from him this year. Sheridan and Timoney playing well also. Flannery has had some nice touches, he’s taking his chances this year.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

McCann, Sheridan and Flannery have been great.

I swear if McFarland drops them next week…

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ulster are missing first up tackles now. Let Connacht in for two simple trys.

• Advertisement

All falling apart a little bit, flannery missed kick, missing tackles, Hume off, scrum penalties, Mcilroy butchering a try

Advertisement