Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd imagine there's a big difference between stepping down and being sacked in terms of payouts. I'd imagine there is some level of compensation agreed though. Hopefully nothing that restricts Ulster in the coming months regarding contracting but it sounds like the damage is already long done there.

Now for Cunningham.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Jared Payne to be sprung from his life of misery in France

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

? He's in Wales, coaching a hopelessly misfiring Scarlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Richie Murphy and Willie Faloon combo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Carolan? Would be a good signing. Richie Murphy would be too.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Richie Murphy has the gig at least temporarily.

Delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

ROG for 3 years and then he can replace Farrell in 2027

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

it'll take a brave coach to take us on long term.

In the short term, many of our players aren’t up to standard (some of our favourites are not exempt from this), we are over reliant on a couple of players, we have a scrum that goes backwards quicker than our props can run, wingers that drop balls like they’re betting on the game an age-grade setup that is seemingly falling behind our provincial rivals.

Long-term, we are apparently cash-strapped which will hinder big signings. Regardless, if whoever has had a say in our signings over the last few years continues to do so then a new coach will be limited in what he can do. Nobody down south wants to move up here, quite rightly, so our IQ options will be of limited quality.

it’s all a bit bleak really.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭conncussed

I don't think it's anywhere near that negative. Ulster have a great stadium, and a huge home support base who will be packing Ravenhill as soon as there's some positive rugby developments. McFarland was given six seasons, recruited some big name players (even if the money isn't there right now), and appeared to be moving Ulster's game in the right direction until Jarrad Payne and Dwayne Peel left. Right now Ulster seem like less than the sum of their parts but a lot of the same promising players are still there if a head coach gets the environment right again.

It's far from perfect but there's a long list of positives for a coach there.

Richie Murphy in the interim! That's great news. If he does get the job, I hope he gets to pick his own staff.

Exactly this, and you're 100% right - we are considerably less than the sum of our parts.

But the parts are there. And two/three years ago, they were part of a slick, sharp team. We own our own, modern stadium. We do have the players to achieve considerably more than we currently have. And if a coach can come here and start to turn this team's fortunes around, he will have an avalanche of goodwill from the supporter base.

Munster were dire a couple of seasons ago, until their flailing head coach abandoned them (one to whom they had recently given an extension) and it turned out Rowntree was a much better fit. It's unlikely we'll get as lucky as them with our next head coach, but we're due some good fortune.

There's a turnaround anonst the squad also. There's aging players like Warwick, Hendo, A.O.C that won't be around for very much longer. I think the remainder of the season should be used to get playing time for Sheridan, Wilson and Postlethwaithe. There needs to be a balancing act to grow younger lads and stay competive.

MacFarland after a decent start was abysmal the last year. Ulster did the right thing. Also cutting the salary implies that they will rely on young players.

• Munster were dire a couple of seasons ago, until their flailing head coach abandoned them (one to whom they had recently given an extension) and it turned out Rowntree was a much better fit. It's unlikely we'll get as lucky as them with our next head coach, but we're due some good fortune.

It's the IRFU that hire, extend or ultimately let go the provincial head coaches. I do think its up to the provinces (in conjunction with the head coach obviously) that hire the assistant coaches.

The hiring of a head coach will be interesting, especially as Leinster are on the hunt for a new attack coach. Could someone like McNamara, who would be a live option for Leinster, be an option for the Ulster gig? I think he's contracted until the end of next season. Nigel Carolan is another that may fit the bill.

Yea I'm probably over pessimistic.

Every now and again I think back to a couple of years ago in the urc quarter final when we tore Munster apart in the midfield and wonder why we can't produce any open play magic like that recently. All the players that caused them bother that day are still around - McCloskey, Hume and Baloucoune.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

If the team and set up doesn’t improve under Richie Murphy the issue lies elsewhere. He is a great coach with a great way about him.

Q&A with Jonny P for season ticket holders

• Advertisement

5 1/2 years of Dan McFarland and it should be remembered that for the first 3 years of his time here he definitely brought Ulster forward. We were one Jacob Stockdale fumble from a European semi final in 2019 and as recently as April 2022 were desperately unlucky against Toulouse and rhen in the URC semi final in SA. There was also a URC or Pro 14 final during the Covid period as well which was a good achievement.

Unfortunately the last season and two thirds has been poor and has got worse as time has gone on. Last season fizzled out and actually ended really poorly against Connacht. This season hasn't got going at all. We've got worse and the last 3 games have been really poor.

So it was definitely time for a change. But I think a few of the players need to look at themselves as well. There seem to be a few Billy big balls in the team who in reality have achieved feck all. They just don't have the winning mentality of the other provinces and I'm not sure that can be blamed on Dan McFarland.

Oh come on.

McF has been a travesty for the last 18 months, but "the winning mentality of the other provinces"?

The absolute hysterical forelock-tugging is hilarious.

I'm angry at Dan as well, but wise up. You can be coherently angry without being in thrall to nonsensical hyperbole about our neighbours.

I think Ive been watching Ulster play long enough to be pretty pretty wise to the situation thanks very much.

What have Ulster won in the 18 years? Feck all!

What have Leinster, Munster and even Connacht? Plenty.

Ulster have a losers mentality in that they just accept mediocrity. Just watch the players when they make a mistake, they run over and give each other high 5s. The Ulster players were fecking smiling to themselves when they made mistakes on Sunday. I don't see O'Mahony or Sexton (when he played) doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

He has a point, Ulster are mentality soft! That starts with attitude, I've seen more fight from Sheridan than I have in a handful of games than some of the seniors in the last couple of seasons.

I've said it before there are teams out there with half the talent and better mentality/attitude who with Ulster resources/fan base would make a mockery of us.

I absolutely don't disagree that our mentality is off. It's the facile "everyone else is brilliant" tone that I find so tiresome.

Munster haven't won "plenty" in the last fifteen years. Not have Connacht. Unless one trophy apiece is "plenty".

There was no winners' mentality when we cut Munster to ribbons a couple of seasons ago, nor when they meekly surrendered to Glasgow at the final in Belfast. I've seen Connacht implode just as extravagantly as us many times in the last few years. I've seen both teams take losses that would have embarrassed Ulster - losses where there was no passion, no fight, no leadership.

We need new coaches and a new mindset. We have done for a while now. But spare me the "the other provinces are so much more mentally stronger than us" nonsense. I've seen all three of them wilt and become cowed, especially Munster and Connacht. It wasn't that long ago the hot topic was Leinster's lack of leadership in the last ten minutes of finals

I don’t disagree that we’re a soft team and I’ve complained a lot about how we can’t deal with pressure, but I’m not sure what those examples are supposed to prove. We have made semi finals and finals before which is no small thing.

Are we supposed to just put on angry faces or something? Don’t lift a teammate up when he makes a mistake? I watch a lot of American sports where there is a whole lot more high-fives and smiling faces during losses, and those sports are incomparably further ahead than rugby in just about every facet of professional sport.

NZ players tend to play with a lot more joy on their faces than O’Mahony or sexton and look what happened there. James Lowe plays with the biggest smile in professional rugby and people (even in Ireland) hate him for it but I don’t think anyone is arguing that he’s a worse player for it. In fact, I’d bet it’s quite the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

If Murphy is coming in as interim coach, is that before or after the U20 6N?

If he leaves the U20s now, he would have some time to work with the Ulster squad and implement some changes. If he finishes out the U20 6N first, he won't have any time to change anything before flying to SA. He should be leaving the U20s after this weekend, giving him time to work with Ulster and targeting the SA tour.

I think it's after - think it's Soper until he arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Hard to see him having much of an impact in that case. Maybe the lads will get a boost from not having to listen to McFarland and there'll be a better atmosphere but he won't be able to change much in terms of tactics or systems.

His first week will be spent travelling and its off to Monti when they get back. Seems a bit unfair on both Ulster and Murphy doing it this way, the IRFU are admitting that the season is a write-off and Murphy is literally just keeping the seat warm. I'm not sure it's actually worth sending Murphy there unless he has some time to implement things.

The U20s would be fine for their last two games if he stepped back and maybe was just there for match days. The rest of the coaching team is still there and most of the good work for the U20s has been done already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Murphy doesnt want to leave the 20s until the 6 nations is over.

Advertisement