Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭theVersatile

It would make a mockery of the 20s if they pulled Richie out mid tournament. Waiting is the right call.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

That's fair enough if Murphy doesn't want to leave before the end of the 6N but then the IRFU should be looking for someone else. He's got going to be able to do much in his first week as much of it will be spent travelling to SA and then standard match preparations. After the two games there, they have to fly home and then get ready for a game in France.

Time on the training pitch will be very limited and presumably will be mostly spent preparing for the next opposition. As good as Murphy is, no coach would be able to adapt systems or introduce new things in that time. At least if someone came in now, they'd have time to change some things, for better or for worse. There may be a bounce from McFarland being gone and a new face there instead but anyone would get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Ulster head coaches since 2001

2001 - 2004 Alan Solomons (quit while he was ahead)

2004 - 2008 Mark McCall (sacked because of poor results)

2008 - 2009 Matt Williams (jumped before he was pushed)

2009 - 2012 Brian McLaughlin (sacked)

2012 - 2014 Mark Anscombe (sacked)

2014 -2018 Les Kiss (resigned)

2018 Neil Doak (sacked), Jono Gibbes (resigned)

2019 - 2024 Dan McFarland (resigned?)

Ulster. Where coaching careers go to die. Richie Murphy be warned.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

McCall's career certainly didn't die but his tenure is maybe a sign that the best of coaches may fail up North.

Yeah, there probably should be an irony emoji after the "poor results" reason. Probably one of the more successful tenures in Ulster rugby history.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,470 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Kiss and Gibbs have gone on to have decent coaching careers to date and are still coaching.

There was a suspicion at the time that Gibbes was in the frame for La Rochelle when he went home to NZ. A suspicion borne out when he was appointed head coach a few months later. So yeah, it appears he left for that reason. Les Kiss may have been something similar as he joined LI a couple of months after leaving Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I hope Murphy stays until the 6nations is over. Development is very important and there's not much he can do over the next couple of weeks. In the long run, he'd be a good appointment for Ulster, imo. Ulster are in a situation where there's a group of young lads holding tackle pads and not being developed. Meanwhile the stalwarts are repeatedly selected while under no pressure to improve. I think the squad is good. There's talent strewn around in there with some good depth. The coaching or perhaps the general attitude/ culture is the problem. Without blowing up the squad immediately, I think the coaching team needs an overhaul. There's no point in continuing with the same dreck and just replacing the chief! Interesting times in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭conncussed

The u20s players deserve to keep their coach until the end of the 6N.

IMHO this "temporary" appointment is being made so Ulster, the IRFU, and most importantly Richie Murphy himself can assess whether he's the right fit to take on the role permanently, and what other changes might be needed over the Summer to bring back success.

Ulster wrote off the season when they parted with McFarland. Now they need to hope that the player attitudes get enough decent performances within the existing structures and tactics to guarantee Champions Cup rugby next season. Anything else is a massive bonus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

When he got the job he was still pretty inexperienced as a coach, let alone a head coach. By the time he became Director of Rugby at Saracens he was a much more experienced coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

That's pretty embarrassing and highlights maybe the players are as much to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Just a point or two of correction or clarification.

McCall had never been a head coach or operated at a high level before being appointed. McCall was dropped in it to a certain degree by Solomons and was too close to the players as he had been teammates with many. He simply was not the man for the job at the time. Solly recognised his talent and that propelled him into the job way before his time.

Brian McLaughlin had never been a head coach before being appointed and was given the job over others who had. He was a school teacher, not a professional coach at that time. In fact one English coach left Belfast in the belief that he had been given the job. McLaughlin was given the job because he was cheap. He wasn't a bad coach at Inst but again should not have been given the job at that time.

Brian McLaughlin was not sacked. He was offered a different position. He wanted it to be guaranteed for life basically like his job at Inst from which he had taken a 3 year sabbatical and when this was not agreed he left.

Anscombe was removed but not for the team being crap but for non-rugby reasons. He liked a drink or two.........etc

Kiss was mince. He was foisted on Ulster by the IRFU as they wanted rid of him. He was awful. Furthermore, he had never been a head coach but somehow Ulster were again expected to make do with an unproven and useless coach.

Jonno Gibbs had never been a head coach etc, etc, etc. The clowns in the Ulster Committee have their heads up their fundaments.

Dan did a good job in his early seasons but lived past his use by date. Things got stale and his team became weighed down with dross.

Post edited by jacothelad on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Is that not how all coaches finish? Sacked or leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

But genuinely looking at that list how many of them left on good terms, leaving ulster in a better place? all bar Salomon (before my time, so hard to comment). None of them movements say a coach progressing, either sacked or jumping a rotten ship.

The Real question should of been why was Dan extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Did you just say McLaughlin "wasn't a bad coach" at Inst?

Believe me when I say he was an absolutely fantastic coach at Inst!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Looking at that list of coaches I reckon Anscombe could have been the best. But his nickname "the cowboy" tells you all you need to know. But Ulster were outstanding in his first season. Northampton away being a real high point for those that remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Ulster Development XV v Welsh Crawshays (Friendly), Friday 23 February, Shaw's Bridge Sports Complex, 7pm.

(1-8) Jack Boal, James McCormick, Cameron Doak, Adam Montgomery, James McKillop, Josh Stevens, Reuben Crothers, James McNabney

(15-9) Rory Telfer, Aaron Sexton, George Pringle, Rory Ellerby, Ben McFarlane, James Humphreys, Conor McKee.

Replacements: Zac Solomon, Flynn Longstaff, Tom McAllister, Mark Lee, Billy Allen, Olly Smyth, Clarke Logan.

Is Lukas Kenny still injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭conncussed

Murray Kinsella wrote an in-depth piece on Ulster for The 42. Here's a syndicated link for the same article without a paywall:

The tl;dr is very tight budget constraints, multiple senior players potenitally exiting to save money, minimal outside recruitment, and the potential for Doak to play ten regularly.

The bit about Doak disappoints me. Between the failing backline structures and switching between nine and ten he seems to have lost his identity as a player.

Maybe we could get some of our wages topped up with IRFU money a la Zebo, or some exhibition matches, or the U20s Six Nations.

The whole "we need a strong Munster" vibe would be nice turned our way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 magic mike

Didn't they pull him out of the lagan one night or something?

Down by Cutters' Wharf, apparently. There's also scurrilous rumours about being out drunk in Belfast that aren't quite so light-hearted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 magic mike

• Nothing stopping Ulster organising exhibition matches. If you had a player that Nucifora & Farrell thought warranted an IRFU top-up, Ulster would get it. How long did Stockdale have a central contract and couldn't get a whiff of a game?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Forgive me if my memory is not what it should be, but Ulster have a bit of a habit of looking much improved under a new coach before it all kind of goes tits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭StormForce13

I would certainly support the proposal that would see the U20s being rotated annually between the 'other' three provinces. Athlone had them and now Cork has them, so surely Ulster deserves them next?

That said, do they actually make money for the host province? Oh and might there be some problem with anthems or flags in Ravenhill?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Im not sure how much money theyd make if any as crowds arent massive with tickets quite cheap but we do need more internationals and get them played around the country. Different times of course but i used love in early 90s and how youd have loads of irish games and teams playing and thw games as result had to be played across a few venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Deramore

8 and a half thousand tickets sold for match tonight, would be very surprised if Munster weren’t making a few quid from it. We’ve had women’s internationals and flags/anthems weren’t an issue

• From what I've heard, its requirement of the PWC sponsorship of the U20's for them to be hosted in Cork.

The IRFU take the gate and provide event related costs to the Munster Branch (security etc.). Branch staff used to run the match day are IRFU staff so no additional payment is made and same is seen as part of their duties. The province themselves makes next to nothing from the game, only keeps them in the good books with the IRFU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I'm fine with Murphy as an interim coach but i'd rather a more experienced team came in in the summer. McCall would be easy first on my list. Pair him with Payne or McNamara in a cullen/lancaster set up.

Advertisement