Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

3 less senior players and 1 less academy player versus 2019/20. Always likely given Covid and the past season being a RWC year.

I haven't watched a lot of Ulster in recent seasons, I didn't realise how little Angus Kernohan played in 2019/20. I'd like to think one of the other provinces would pick him up, he only turned 21 in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Muligatawney

A lot of potential in that academy. Izuchukwu could end up the Irish Nakarawa.

• Administrators Posts: 53,735 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Front row still a bit worrying as I reckon both Warwick and Kyle McCall will be shown the door at the end of their current deals. John Andrew not likely to be extended either. Ross Kane needs to start showing an upward trajectory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

A lot of potential in that academy. Izuchukwu could end up the Irish Nakarawa.

don't hold your breath.

3 less senior players and 1 less academy player versus 2019/20. Always likely given Covid and the past season being a RWC year.

I haven't watched a lot of Ulster in recent seasons, I didn't realise how little Angus Kernohan played in 2019/20. I'd like to think one of the other provinces would pick him up, he only turned 21 in March.

Kernohan joining ealing apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

don't hold your breath.

What's the story with him? Is he any good? I suspect from your post that you have 'reservations.'

jacothelad wrote: »
    What's the story with him? Is he any good? I suspect from your post that you have 'reservations.'

He is an athlete, long way away from being pro 14 ready.

He is an o.k. player. I have seen a lot worse play a lot of games for Ulster.

He is an athlete, long way away from being pro ready.

Is he big enough or at least capable of filling out enough to be a pro lock? If he attended Roscrea how did he end up here?

Is he big enough or at least capable of filling out enough to be a pro lock? If he attended Roscrea how did he end up here?

He is 6'7 or so.. certainly tall enough..

He played centre in school.. became involved with irish 7's as a u19, played leinster 20's last summer, didnt make leinster sub academy, played irish 7's again and presumably was approached by ulster from there.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,735 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Kernoghan had the potential to be a decent player, but that was about it.

Maybe they plan on giving what would have been his game time to Sexton this year.

He is 6'7 or so.. certainly tall enough..

He played centre in school.. became involved with irish 7's as a u19, played leinster 20's last summer, didnt make leinster sub academy, played irish 7's again and presumably was approached by ulster from there.

At least he sounds as though he has plenty of talent. Ulster have signed so many duds over the years. We all know that talent isn't always enough, especially in the forwards. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I think the writing was on the wall for most of those academy players tbh.

Hall - Never really recovered from injuries and fell off after coming back.
    Dunleavy - Progress stalled. Not the most athletic player so was always going to be limited.
    Agnew - Too small really and was injured a lot.
    Curtis - Brought in as a scrumhalf but seemed to play everywhere but scrumhalf.
    Hughes - Never really given a shot. Too small and there are better players in his position. Brought in when Bowe, Trimble retired and we had a few injuries. Always though he was more of a 'in case of emergency' player.
    Dalton - Never really used his athleticism effectively and wasn't the brightest player. Failed to properly improve imo.
    Reagan - Never given much game time really and David O'Connor went straight ahead of him which is a little telling.
    Kernohan - I think I posted before that I didn't see him having much of a career at Ulster. Not a great defender, prone to mistakes, doesn't have the attacking threat to make up for it. Too many good young players ahead of him and the likes of Sexton, McIlroy and Hyde coming through as well. Glad he's found another club in this environment.

I think Houston might be a little worried as well tbh, but our 10's are all sicknotes.

Izuchukwu seems like a massive project and I'm not sure it's because we have faith in it. Not sure I have faith in our coaches to develop a 2nd row from scratch given our track record either. Seems a little desperate on our side but best of luck to him.

Ulster had two locks involved with Ireland u18 this easter - Charlie Irvine and Paddy Browne.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Did anyone watch that online chat with Petrie and McFarland?

Someone on the Rugby Planet Forum did and here are their observations:

" Michael Lowry is in the Ulster Leadership Group. McFarland absolutely loves him.

-Earliest date rugby will be back is August 10th, though obviously this is subject to change. Will need around a month of training to be ready for matches.

-Will probably start with an Inter-pro championship, purely for logistical reasons, then go into Pro14 and finish Europe in October.

-Unclear yet what form finishing the Pro14 will take, lots of different scenarios."

-Faddes, Coetzee and Carter are currently in their home countries. Will have to start looking at recalling them if/when the 14 day quarantine is introduced

-There are no 2 metre behemoths in the Ulster system. Though McFarland doesn't really mind this as he still wants to focus on collective speed and is more interested in the handling abilities of our forwards. Is really excited over what is coming through.

-All signings were completed pre-Covid so hasn't affected anything that was in the pipeline. In the immediate future you probably will have a pretty settled squad over the next 2-3 seasons. Though with Ulster having such a young squad isn't necessarily a bad thing.

-Petrie didn't seem too concerned over the financial implications at the moment, thinks they are on a pretty sound footing but of course this depends on how long lockdown lasts and when rugby comes back. 70% of staff currently furloughed. Know Ulster have to stand on their own 2 feet but know the IRFU are there if necessary.

-Ludik has also signed a contract for next season

-Alby and Madigan were signed for half back depth. Obviously Cooney and Burns have been brilliant but will be away with Ireland alot so needed more experience. Johnston is coming along better but still needed more bodies.

-McFarland doesn't want to shoehorn Lowry into one position yet, would be abit behind in his development at 10 but still has alot of improving to do. Dares anybody to watch his game against Racing last season if they have any doubts.

-Currently looking into what a social distancing Ravenhill will look like. Depends on how many would be allowed in, how would the gates work etc.

- Petrie would be a big supporter of the BBC showing Ulster matches in the current climate, especially as the choice of actually going to a match isn't currently there.

-Beaumont is really pushing to get a global season sorted."

Ulster had two locks involved with Ireland u18 this easter - Charlie Irvine and Paddy Browne.

Both still in school and a lot can change from u18 to u20 level. Then there's the step up to senior level which has to be managed and I'm not sure our academy in the best place for developing them anyway.

Irvine's a huge lad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

At least he sounds as though he has plenty of talent. Ulster have signed so many duds over the years. We all know that talent isn't always enough, especially in the forwards. Thanks for the info.

He's definitely a superb prospect in terms of his athleticism, but he probably needs to put on about 10kg to fill out his gangly frame and it's yet to be seen how he'll go in the pack considering he played centre in schools. If he can put the weight on and get to grips with the set piece he definitely has potential to be a star considering he has pace and decent handling skills.

Both still in school and a lot can change from u18 to u20 level. Then there's the step up to senior level which has to be managed and I'm not sure our academy in the best place for developing them anyway.

Irvine's a huge lad though.

yep, but if you don't have them at u18 level you are unlikely they will suddenly appear at u20 level. Irvine looks like a better prospect, you'd hope he develops.

6. David McCann
    7. Rueben Crothers
    8. Azur Allison

Decent balance to that backrow, be years before it could potentially lineout for Ulster though.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

I think the writing was on the wall for most of those academy players tbh.

Hall - Never really recovered from injuries and fell off after coming back.
    Dunleavy - Progress stalled. Not the most athletic player so was always going to be limited.
    Agnew - Too small really and was injured a lot.
    Curtis - Brought in as a scrumhalf but seemed to play everywhere but scrumhalf.
    Hughes - Never really given a shot. Too small and there are better players in his position. Brought in when Bowe, Trimble retired and we had a few injuries. Always though he was more of a 'in case of emergency' player.
    Dalton - Never really used his athleticism effectively and wasn't the brightest player. Failed to properly improve imo.
    Reagan - Never given much game time really and David O'Connor went straight ahead of him which is a little telling.
    Kernohan - I think I posted before that I didn't see him having much of a career at Ulster. Not a great defender, prone to mistakes, doesn't have the attacking threat to make up for it. Too many good young players ahead of him and the likes of Sexton, McIlroy and Hyde coming through as well. Glad he's found another club in this environment.

I think Houston might be a little worried as well tbh, but our 10's are all sicknotes.

Izuchukwu seems like a massive project and I'm not sure it's because we have faith in it. Not sure I have faith in our coaches to develop a 2nd row from scratch given our track record either. Seems a little desperate on our side but best of luck to him.

Still few good 2nd rows in under age system.

• Advertisement

6. David McCann
    7. Rueben Crothers
    8. Azur Allison

Decent balance to that backrow, be years before it could potentially lineout for Ulster though.

Allison is rangy with good pace, McCann is an absolute workhorse and a leader. Don't know enough about Crothers.

Allison is rangy with good pace, McCann is an absolute workhorse and a leader. Don't know enough about Crothers.

I’d worry about Crothers size, but he’s supposed to be a decent player. Great work rate.

I’d worry about Crothers size, but he’s supposed to be a decent player. Great work rate.

Crothers is at 7 because of his size. Obviously massively rated joining academy straight from school as a u18 forward.

Crothers is at 7 because of his size. Obviously massively rated joining academy straight from school as a u18 forward.

After releasing so many players you'd hope they are being careful about who is joining straight from school, so it's certainly a vote of confidence. Talent ID is one thing, but the development side is another and I'm not sure the coaches have really shown they can develop competitive forwards regularly. Hopefully small steps in the right direction are being taken now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Kernohan is unlucky...but we have Stockdale, Balacoune, Lyttle, Ludik, Gilroy with hopefully Sexton and McIlroy to come through so it was always going to be a tough ask for him. If he has got a contract at Ealing then maybe it was his choice rather than Ulster's?

Good luck to him.

Shame about Hall, he was meant to be promising, but injuries did for him. Sounds like Dalton didn't have it upstairs. The rest were probably always outside shots to make the grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

Hearing rumours from some Mexicans that Porter's coming north?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Scythica wrote: »

That would mean Leinster losing 3 THs in one summer that would seem very unlikely.

Simply not true.

• Advertisement

That would be a few days entertainment sorted. I'd pour myself a few drinks and refresh the Leinster thread every few minutes.

Advertisement