Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

That would be a few days entertainment sorted. I'd pour myself a few drinks and refresh the Leinster thread every few minutes.

you'll be waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

you'll be waiting.

You're a cheerful one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,234 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It wouldn't make sense purely from a personnel perspective for either side. Furlong only has about 150 minutes more rugby than Porter this season and the gap between them now is quite small. They're both untouchable in the Leinster 23 right now.

For Ulster, they already have a very solid tighthead who established himself in green already and a very good prospect who has been called up to the Irish squad. It doesn't make any sense for Ulster or the IRFU to have Porter in Ulster at this point as it would damage the development/availability of other strong options.

It would make more sense for Porter to be linked with Munster as they've two tightheads who are both 32 and the cupboard is pretty bare behind them. Keynan Knox is a good prospect but still a very unknown quantity.

With that said, I'd be flabbergasted it Porter was to leave Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Scythica wrote: »
    Hearing rumours from some Mexicans that Porter's coming north?

Why would he? He'd need to have some sort of massive brain fart to even think of it. Besides, great as that would be, Ulster are reasonably well stocked at TH. Moore looks to be getting better and better. TOT is a really good prospect, Milasinovich is a bit of an unknown quantity and there is Ross Kane who hasn't kicked on as much as was hoped.

Maybe they heard he was coming North to get a proper breakfast. He looks like he enjoys a decent plate of grub.....

fry.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Hearing rumours from some Mexicans that Porter's coming north?

I think Ulster have said that our squad is completed for next season.

• Advertisement

Definitely, he'd still be playing now if it weren't for injuries. In the end his loss was Chris Henry's gain though and he didn't do too badly!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Has anyone watched the Ulster webinar series on different aspects of the sport in the province from womens and girls game to schools to club youths to talent id.
    https://ulsterrugby.com/webinars

• Registered Users Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Willie Anderson retiring as academy/elite forwards development officer.

David Humphreys leaving Glos.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

jacothelad wrote: »
    David Humphreys leaving Glos.....

I really hope he does not find his way back here.

Why do you say that?

I don't think there is an opening for him anyway, unless he takes control of the Academy or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

He done an exceptional job at Ulster. After he left it went downhill and was a mess for a number of years. They have only started to recover

I remember he was on the TV before he left saying that Ulster had an issue with young players and finding them He wanted to go out to the entire province of Ulster, Cavan/Donegal etc and get players from those counties. Otherwise in a few years they would be left with very few Ulster young players.

He left, none of that was done and what he said was 100% right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Err... Pretty sure quite a bit of that was done? There's been a rake of young lads from Letterkenny in the academy in recent years that just haven't managed the step up.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    He done an exceptional job at Ulster. After he left it went downhill and was a mess for a number of years. They have only started to recover

I remember he was on the TV before he left saying that Ulster had an issue with young players and finding them He wanted to go out to the entire province of Ulster, Cavan/Donegal etc and get players from those counties. Otherwise in a few years they would be left with very few Ulster young players.

Err... Pretty sure quite a bit of that was done? There's been a rake of young lads from Letterkenny in the academy in recent years that just haven't managed the step up.

There were actually a number of initiatives including moving the team training around all the counties, having open training nights for example for tall players etc. employing a number of coaches to go in to primary schools, introducing more competition for junior club sides.

One thing they didn't do was make schools and clubs liase with each other. That is a huge stumbling block still.

Shefwedfan wrote: »

plenty was done. There was a documentary on tg4 on the donegal lads earlier in the year.
    take is a bit ptt but theres been Dunleavy, mcmenimen
    Youths rugby improving out there. They even got the refs dinner to be held in republic for first time recently. Might seek nothing but that's a big step forward. Another club in cavan/Monaghan would be great

plenty was done. There was a documentary on tg4 on the donegal lads earlier in the year.

Youths rugby improving out there. They even got the refs dinner to be held in republic for first time recently. Might seek nothing but that's a big step forward. Another club in cavan/Monaghan would be great

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of clubs per county in Ulster, I might have a go when I get a spare half hour today.

It would be great to see another club in Fermanagh as well.

Off the top of my head Armagh and Derry/Londonderry have one senior club each in Armagh and City of Derry.

Antrim and Down are difficult to separate in South and East Belfast. I'm not really sure if Quins, Queens and Malone qualify as Antrim or Down. I usually use the Lagan as the border in Belfast, not sure if that is technically correct or not! That being the case Malone would be in Down and Queens are Quins would squeeze in Antrim by a few hundred metres!

Obviously there are loads of Junior clubs, I'll maybe do a breakdow later.

bilston wrote: »
    Off the top of my head Armagh and Derry/Londonderry have one senior club each in Armagh and City of Derry.

Antrim and Down are difficult to separate in South and East Belfast. I'm not really sure if Quins, Queens and Malone qualify as Antrim or Down. I usually use the Lagan as the border in Belfast, not sure if that is technically correct or not! That being the case Malone would be in Down and Queens are Quins would squeeze in Antrim by a few hundred metres!

Obviously there are loads of Junior clubs, I'll maybe do a breakdow later.
    Derry has 2. Rainey also there

True, I keep thinking of Magherafelt as being in Tyrone, I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion before!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,735 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Dungannon's in Tyrone. mfceiling won't be happy that you forgot about them.

Omagh too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Yeah, maybe over-egged it a tad. But certainly there's been a tonne of things organised to raise rugby's profile outside the heartlands, as others have pointed out.

The confusion between Antrim and Down and the Lagan is that the Post Office treats all of Belfast as Antrim, so that's what you'll see in official forms etc. But actually Malone is Down.

Limavady.... Strabane...Coleraine.....

DONEGAL...Inishowen, Donegal Town.. Letterkenny...Ballyshannon.

MONAGHAN.. Monaghan.

MONAGHAN.. Monaghan.

We were specifically talking about senior clubs, but yep there are a few other Junior clubs there.

Is Virginia still going? I think it's in Cavan?

Also does Clogher Valley count as Tyrone or Fermanagh?

Other than Enniskillen are there any other Fermanagh clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

MONAGHAN.. Monaghan.

Cavan Virginia?

True, I keep thinking of Magherafelt as being in Tyrone, I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion before!
    we have

MONAGHAN.. Monaghan.
    we had been talking about senior clubs but good to point out junior clubs as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You're dead to me bilston.

Clogher are indeed Tyrone. The far end of fivemiletown is the border between Tyrone and Fermanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

A teacher at the school I played rugby at told me many moons ago that there was once an inter county rugby competition played in Ulster but I never came across any evidence of this.

mfceiling wrote: »
    You're dead to me bilston.

Clogher are indeed Tyrone. The far end of fivemiletown is the border between Tyrone and Fermanagh.

Anywhere west of Lisburn is all the same culchieness to me!

In fact that's probably pushing it:D

• Advertisement

I was listening to Baz and Andrew's House of Rugby yesterday and they were interviewing Jacob Stockdale.

Stockdale got some terrible stick on Twitter after the WC and it obviously affected him.

Also both Trimble and Stockdale were both singing the praises of Stewart Moore big time.

Advertisement