Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Just watched the Clermont game there in YouTube. What a game Jordi Murphy had. Hadn't appreciated watching it live how good he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Players and staff all negative for Covid after round of testing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It appears Ian Madigan is off to Ulster:

https://twitter.com/Ian_madigan/status/1278962088132710404

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

aloooof wrote: »
    It appears Ian Madigan is off to Ulster:

https://twitter.com/Ian_madigan/status/1278962088132710404

announced months ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

announced months ago.

Completely missed that in the height of the Covid goings on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

aloooof wrote: »
    Completely missed that in the height of the Covid goings on!

How could you miss one of Ireland's superstars back home??

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Who's that now? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

He didn't........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Wait. What! Zebo's back??!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Yeah_Right wrote: »

Wait. What! Zebo's back??!!

Ah! Your thinking of 'supper star'...

The SA's press has the Bull are signing..........Cooetzee

The SA's press has the Bull are signing..........Cooetzee

Been going since March. He's signed with Ulster til 2023, I think.

End of the 21-22 season, actually

Been going since March. He's signed with Ulster til 2023, I think.

End of the 21-22 season, actually

Yeah two seasons left, the SA's are saying Bulls can buy out because seemingly 2 billionaires have bought them

Personally I think it is cow poo but you never know.....if they want to pay stupid money the IRFU and Ulster might need to take after the Covid lockdown

On one hand, I'd be gutted. But yeah, money generally is going to be an issue, and if money for Coetzee smoothed Ulster's way during lockdown, it might simply be the wisest thing to do.

He's always spoken about how much he owed Ulster for sticking with him when injured, and he was getting picked for the national team anyway, so I don't know what his motivation would be particularly. And I remember being categorically guaranteed that when Tommy Bowe was coming back to Ireland, he was signing for Munster, we were signing Stephen Donald after Christiaan Lealifano, and a million other transfer rumours that needed to be taken with a shovel-load of salt. But we'll see.

Presumably Ulster hold the aces given Coetzee has two years left on his contract. If Ulster need to offload him from their wage bill then so be it, like Paul I'd be gutted, but it's more important we keep the IQ players. If Ulster don't need to offload him then you'd think he won't be going anywhere.

Unfortunately Covid has changed everything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

If true? Season is over already!

I suppose a lot depends in reality on how Leavy is recovering. If Leavy is back and firing then the overload at Leinster in backrow will be high

Deegan, Doris, Ruddock, Conan, Penny, VDF, Leavy, Fardy, Connors

Something will have to give, so if Coetzee did leave then the IRFU would probably look to move someone up to replace, plus getting a potential pay day for Ulster as the Bulls need to pay serious money to release from contract

All speculation of course

The 2007 Super Rugby final is in Sky Sports Action (Sharks v Bulls) at the moment.

Just saying because both Pienaar and Muller both playing for the Sharks and Pedrie Wannenberg playing for the Bulls.

South Africa had some talent back then, of course they went onto to win the world cup later in the year.

Edit - I didn't realise Brad Barritt played for the Sharks back then

https://www.the42.ie/ulster-depth-chart-2020-5162997-Jul2020/

Useful breakdown.

Madigan and especially Mathewson really add a lot, provided they continue to play as they can do. Being able to play Alby in Cooney's absence instead of Shanahan could be massive. Our game against Clermont and the European game against Leinster last season illustrate quite vividly what our biggest Achilles' heel is - penalties in the last twenty minutes as the concentration goes or a lacklustre bench is being sprung. Hopefully Mathewson and Milasinovich will help substantially. I love O'Toole, but cold off the bench against gnarly French props, he gets ground down in the scrums.

McBurney really has to start playing using his head - the pressure will be on, with Herring often away with Ireland. We'll be relying on him, not bringing him in to up the aggro at the end of games.

Back row is our weakest area. Coetzee is monumental, Murphy and Reidy good, Rea worth his place and then it's unconvincing. Hopefully Rea Jr and Allison step up.

Backs is a different kettle of fish. I'd say we have the most exciting young talent of any of the provinces at centre, and the most depth in the back three. I'd put a combination of Gilroy, Lyttle, Faddes and Lowry against any other second choice provincial back three (once Kearney says his goodbye).

Roll on the next game!

• Advertisement

Useful breakdown.

Madigan and especially Mathewson really add a lot, provided they continue to play as they can do. Being able to play Alby in Cooney's absence instead of Shanahan could be massive. Our game against Clermont and the European game against Leinster last season illustrate quite vividly what our biggest Achilles' heel is - penalties in the last twenty minutes as the concentration goes or a lacklustre bench is being sprung. Hopefully Mathewson and Milasinovich will help substantially. I love O'Toole, but cold off the bench against gnarly French props, he gets ground down in the scrums.

McBurney really has to start playing using his head - the pressure will be on, with Herring often away with Ireland. We'll be relying on him, not bringing him in to up the aggro at the end of games.

Back row is our weakest area. Coetzee is monumental, Murphy and Reidy good, Rea worth his place and then it's unconvincing. Hopefully Rea Jr and Allison step up.

Backs is a different kettle of fish. I'd say we have the most exciting young talent of any of the provinces at centre, and the most depth in the back three. I'd put a combination of Gilroy, Lyttle, Faddes and Lowry against any other second choice provincial back three (once Kearney says his goodbye).

Roll on the next game!

I've always liked McBurney but he needs to speed up his development a bit because very soon he is going to see Tom Stewart catching up in his rear view mirror. That kid is a serious prospect at hooker.

Who knows what the next few weeks or months have in store but if nothing else we should have the August Inter Pros and it will be good to see the boys back on the pitch.

They'll need to hit the ground running as well if they want to secure a semi final spot.

Back row is our weakest area. Coetzee is monumental, Murphy and Reidy good, Rea worth his place and then it's unconvincing. Hopefully Rea Jr and Allison step up

If Rea Jnr, Allison or McCann never manage to make the step up, we may just give up! Just can’t fathom why we can’t produce backrows!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

launish116 wrote: »
    If Rea Jnr, Allison or McCann never manage to make the step up, we may just give up! Just can’t fathom why we can’t produce backrows!

Whats the feeling on Jones ability to nail down a starting spot? Timoney?

Jones is 6’5 and mobile, just don’t see that translating to the pitch. Albeit thats harsh and he’s hasn't had alot of Senior game time. No reason why he shouldn’t be competing with Rea for the 6 shirt! If he doesnt push on this season id say he’ll be moving on.

Timoney has gained and suffered a little from his versatility. Think he needs the opportunity to lock down one position and get continuous game time there.

Foresee Ulsters big issue is versatility after Coetzee (8) and Murphy (7) no one really has a position completely locked down. I appreciated that there is numerous reasons for that best players on pitch/injuries/rotation/game plan etc. But a quick look at the last 10 games and we had 5 or 6 different starting backrow line ups, with some players playing completely different positions each game bar Coetzee.

Rea Snr needs to lock down blindside, when he stays injury free and gets a run of games he can! Hard to remember he’s only really 1.5 seasons into senior rugby.

Reidy is the only player versatility works in his favour as he really does give it all regardless of position. Though we do lose carrying ability.

Allison/Rea jnr/McCann the opportunity is there, hopefully there adjusting to senior rugby and preseason. Have high hopes for Allison(8) and McCann(6)

Rant over!

Timoney would have been a regular starter when Coetzee was out for basically a whole season, and Murphy hadn't yet come North Of The Wall. Athletic, and great at getting up in the lineout. But I've never seen him impose himself on the opposition. Perfectly good bench material.

Jones is fine, not much else. Really can't see him ever having a starting spot.

I might be being unfair. Neither is Deegan or Doris, but they don't need to be. If one of them turns out to be another Chris Henry - very smart, tough, a good leader - then they may well be first choice in a couple of years. But I haven't seen anything to indicate it.

Jones has usually done quite well when he has got a chance, Timoney has always been close to the starting XV.

It depends on who is fit.

If everyone is fit then my preferred back row is Rea, Murphy and Coetzee with Reidy on the bench. Timoney would come next.

bilston wrote: »
    Jones has usually done quite well when he has got a chance, Timoney has always been close to the starting XV.

It depends on who is fit.

If everyone is fit then my preferred back row is Rea, Murphy and Coetzee with Reidy on the bench. Timoney would come next.

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Heard on the grapevine Rob Lyttle is still having problem with recurring injuries. Real pity as he's a flyer with genuine pace and always a threat.

Heard on the grapevine Rob Lyttle is still having problem with recurring injuries. Real pity as he's a flyer with genuine pace and always a threat.

That's a real disappointment - injuries seem to have been a serious issue for him, and part of the reason he hasn't gotten more gametime.

• Advertisement

Sean Farrell has an intriguing article in the 42.ie that is basically all the metaphors he knows that involve dogs and something to do with Ulster. If anyone makes any sense if it, I'll be right here.

Advertisement