Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Heard on the grapevine Rob Lyttle is still having problem with recurring injuries. Real pity as he's a flyer with genuine pace and always a threat.

In the latest training pics, holding a bib, so I'm going to say he's okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Addison is luckless. Henderson is touch and go for the finish of the Six Nations then.

Hendo out is a big blow to our Pro14/European ambitions, and does that mean that for the Six Nations we're looking at Toner + 1 for the second row? That is not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,234 ✭✭✭✭Buer

James Ryan will be back well in time for the 6N.

I'd have real concerns over Addison at this point. I'm a big fan but the guy simply cannot keep fit for more than a month. The back is notoriously problematic to get right but he has just had 7 months without a match and is injured again.

If fit, he's in the Irish 23 for me but 19 Ulster appearances in almost two seasons is a fairly problematic return for a guy who is still relatively young.

• Advertisement

Thank God on Ryan, and yeah, agreed on Addison.

Carbery as well -:you just wonder are they reading the same writing on the wall you can see ..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Hendo out is a big blow to our Pro14/European ambitions, and does that mean that for the Six Nations we're looking at Toner + 1 for the second row? That is not good.

If Ryan is fit then his partner will probably be Toner or Kleyn. Neither are great options really. I'd love to see Farrell be brave and select Baird instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Timoney would have been a regular starter when Coetzee was out for basically a whole season, and Murphy hadn't yet come North Of The Wall. Athletic, and great at getting up in the lineout. But I've never seen him impose himself on the opposition. Perfectly good bench material.

Jones is fine, not much else. Really can't see him ever having a starting spot.

I might be being unfair. Neither is Deegan or Doris, but they don't need to be. If one of them turns out to be another Chris Henry - very smart, tough, a good leader - then they may well be first choice in a couple of years. But I haven't seen anything to indicate it.

Deegan and Doris are streets ahead of Henry at the same age.

Jones is bang average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The Ulster update says Henderson is expected back 'mid to late' October so he might be available for the finish of the 6N - of course he won't have played a game in eight months at that stage which isn't ideal.

I think Addison is on borrowed time tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Toner and Kleyn for the Lols please

• Advertisement

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Deegan and Doris are streets ahead of Henry at the same age.

Jones is bang average.

Yeah, I was saying that they don't need to be the same level as Deegan or Doris, they could "only" be at Henry's level, to be a useful player. Unclench, my man. Breathe.

But that's my gut feeling about Jones as well.

Carter in for Hendo and, for me, Lowry in for Addison.

Yeah, I was saying that they don't need to be the same level as Deegan or Doris, they could "only" be at Henry's level, to be a useful player. Unclench, my man. Breathe.

Ah ok fair enough. apologies

The thing about JOnes is the amount of players i've seen come and go that are streets ahead of him. HE is tall and somewhat athletic.

But i played once and trained with Timoney, he was always a standout. Not so with Jones. To me it boggles the mind how guys like him get a shot. And i watched a fair bit of UCD back when he was playing for them. He played a good few twenties games where he did well. But he's 24 with 11 games needs to push on or be cut. Imo Irish rubgy needs to get ruthless with this sort of player. Move a Leinster guy with a decent shot at making it if Marcel is gone. Leave the risks to Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Carter in for Hendo and, for me, Lowry in for Addison.

Ludik at full back. Lowry is a luxury Ulster can't afford to carry until he....develops an Iron Man suit.

Lowry is class and a guy Ulster and Irish rugby need to be playing at ten

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Lowry is class and a guy Ulster and Irish rugby need to be playing at ten

Lowry is great but he is really small. Paul Marshall looked big beside him. I'm not sure if he'll make it due to his size. Hopefully I'm wrong but the days of the Shane Williams seem to be gone.

Well Henry didn't have the benefit of professional coaching, weights and diet management etc while at school nor did he have the benefit of the developmental path of a fully professional, well funded and competently staffed academy. The fact that he became as good as he did without what is available now speaks volumes for him. I think if he could have undergone what is now commonplace in rugby schools and the academy in Leinster, he would absolutely have excelled to an even greater degree. Consider Joe Schmidt's opinion of him. He really made the most of what he had without the leg up players get today.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,234 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If Deegan or Doris reach a level where they're starting every game in a winning 6N campaign, they'll be doing very well for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

mfceiling wrote: »
    Lowry is great but he is really small. Paul Marshall looked big beside him. I'm not sure if he'll make it due to his size. Hopefully I'm wrong but the days of the Shane Williams seem to be gone.

Damien McKenzie and Cheslin Kolbe would like to have a word with you.

McFarland is a huge fan - unless I'm mistaken, he's put Lowry in the leadership group?

• Advertisement

McFarland is a huge fan - unless I'm mistaken, he's put Lowry in the leadership group?
    ...as a mascot........:D

jacothelad wrote: »
    ...as a mascot........:D

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Anyway:

https://www.the42.ie/henderson-hip-operation-addison-back-struggle-5173153-Aug2020/

Hendo's surgery was planned, has been needed for a while, but was pushed to this awkward period by Covid. Addison has only been ruled out for Connacht so far.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Anyway:

https://www.the42.ie/henderson-hip-operation-addison-back-struggle-5173153-Aug2020/

Hendo's surgery was planned, has been needed for a while, but was pushed to this awkward period by Covid. Addison has only been ruled out for Connacht so far.

I have given up on Addison being a major influence despite his ability. He is just too fragile...........sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

jacothelad wrote: »
    I have given up on Addison being a major influence despite his ability. He is just too fragile...........sadly.

What was his injury record like before he started playing for Ulster/Ireland? Curious if he has always been injury prone or is it something that has become more of an issue since he started playing on this island. PS not trying to suggest that something in the way Ulster/Ireland use him is causing the issue, just curious

I think it was an issue before as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

b.gud wrote: »
    What was his injury record like before he started playing for Ulster/Ireland? Curious if he has always been injury prone or is it something that has become more of an issue since he started playing on this island. PS not trying to suggest that something in the way Ulster/Ireland use him is causing the issue, just curious

I remember a quote going around on here from someone in the know when he was first signed, something along the lines of “incredible player, if he can stay fit”.

• Administrators Posts: 53,736 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If he didn't have injury problems he wouldn't be playing for Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »
    If he didn't have injury problems he wouldn't be playing for Ulster.

True...he'd probably still be playing in white though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So no Hendy or Addison for Connacht (and beyond)...I assume we will go in fully loaded for the first game, win that (or even get 2 points) and we are in the play offs and van send the kids out against Leinster.

Possible team for Connacht then?

1 McGrath
    2 Herring
    3 Moore
    4 Carter
    5 Treadwell
    6 Rea
    7 Murphy
    8 Coetzee
    9 Cooney
    10 Burns
    11 Gilroy
    12 McCloskey
    13 Marshall
    14 Balacoune
    15 Stockdale

Bench
    McBurney
    O'Sullivan
    O'Toole
    O'connor
    Reidy
    Matthewson
    Madigan
    Ludik/Faddes/Moore/Hume/Lowry

No.23 could be anyone, personally I'd get Moore in there ASAP, but in terms of versatility the smart play is Ludik or Faddes.

Even without Henderson and Addison that's a good squad.

Advertisement