Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

I thought it had been cancelled because of the outbreak in the Ulster Academy? Although that was a few weeks ago now.

Irish Independent reporting it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Any sign of some fixtures being announced for the Pro X competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I thought it had been cancelled because of the outbreak in the Ulster Academy? Although that was a few weeks ago now.

Almost a month ago now, I'd say everyone's probably tested negative multiple times at this stage

bilston wrote: »
    Any sign of some fixtures being announced for the Pro X competition?

Announced tomorrow I beleive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

• Advertisement

What we thinking? Few seniors involved as well? Who needs game time?

Assuming no-one from Sunday... I'd go very heavily on youth.

The only non-Academy players I would want to see are some lads getting up to speed - David O'Connor, Milasinovich, Johnston.

Maybe Shanahan, if they don't think Finlay will make it to third choice this season, and maybe Greg Jones.

I am on the fence about having McBurney or Gilroy there - I don't know that both won't be leapfrogged by academy players this season - Stewart and Sexton/McIlroy? On balance, probably not.

Other than that, youngsters.

launish116 wrote: »
    What we thinking? Few seniors involved as well? Who needs game time?

Could be literally anything. If Dan is going to use the broader squad against Benetton (who we think we start against next week), then he might want to use this as a warm up match

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Munster and Connacht played a mixture of senior and academy players.

1) Callum Reid
    2) Tom Stewart
    3) Gareth Milasinovich
    4) Cormac Izuchukwu
    5) David O'Connor
    6) David McCann
    7) Reuben Crothers
    8) Azur Allison
    9) Finlay Lewis
    10) Bill Johnston
    11) Aaron Sexton
    12) Hayden Hyde
    13) Stewart Moore
    14) Ethan McIlroy
    15) Conor Rankin

That's just a spurious team. I don't know that either O'Connor or Izzy is big and heavy enough to play TH lock - might be Conor McMenamin, but I don't think he's a heavy one either?

Back row - seems mad not to have Rea Jr there, but I don't know where he would fit. Not clear at all yet what positions these guys are being seen in. Maybe McCann at seven, Rea Jr at six?

Don't know either which of Rankin and McIlroy should be FB.

Anyway, my tuppence-worth, Obviously, the bench is Everyone Else.

• Advertisement

1) Callum Reid
    2) Tom Stewart
    3) Gareth Milasinovich
    4) Cormac Izuchukwu
    5) David O'Connor
    6) David McCann
    7) Reuben Crothers
    8) Azur Allison
    9) Finlay Lewis
    10) Bill Johnston
    11) Aaron Sexton
    12) Hayden Hyde
    13) Stewart Moore
    14) Ethan McIlroy
    15) Conor Rankin

Happy enough with that team, trying to think what others seniors need game time. Is Sexton back focusing on 15s?

launish116 wrote: »
    Happy enough with that team, trying to think what others seniors need game time. Is Sexton back focusing on 15s?

Training with seniors, apparently.

Munster and Connacht played a mixture of senior and academy players.

I'd rather go heavy on academy - our seniors have been playing hard-earned knockout rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭rayd3

our seniors have been playing hard-earned knockout rugby.

They’ve been involved in hard-earned knockout rugby fixtures. Wouldn’t say they were playing much knockout rugby though.

Either way, Munster and Connacht have been involved in hard-earned scratching of collective holes, so the point stands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭rayd3

Munster and Connacht have been involved in hard-earned scratching of collective holes,

Scratching holes is much more of an athletically engaging endeavour than playing golf like Munster and Connacht have been doing.

I'd rather go heavy on academy - our seniors have been playing hard-earned knockout rugby.

Would it do any harm to throw Carter, Faddes, Gilroy in for more game time as a reminder where they could end up. McCall probably needs game time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Has there been any update on McCloskeys injury?

ROUND 1 FRI 02 OCT · 20:15 ULSTER VS BENETTON
    ROUND 2 SAT 10 OCT · 17:15 OSPREYS VS ULSTER
    ROUND 3 SUN 25 OCT · 15:00 ULSTER VS DRAGONS
    ROUND 4 MON 02 NOV · 18:00 CARDIFF BLUES VS ULSTER
    ROUND 5 MON 09 NOV · 20:15 ULSTER VS GLASGOW WARRIORS
    ROUND 6 MON 16 NOV · 18:00 ZEBRE VS ULSTER
    ROUND 7 SUN 22 NOV · 19:35 ULSTER VS SCARLETS
    ROUND 8 MON 30 NOV · 20:15 EDINBURGH VS ULSTER
    ROUND 9 SAT 26 DEC · 00:00 CONNACHT VS ULSTER
    ROUND 10 SAT 02 JAN · 00:00 ULSTER VS MUNSTER
    ROUND 11 SAT 09 JAN · 00:00 LEINSTER VS ULSTER

Monday night games, very odd!

• Advertisement

A start that allows us to get the weans on-pitch.

Ulster ‘A’ team to play Leinster ‘A’ at RDS Arena, Friday 25 September, kick-off 7pm:

(15-9) Ethan McIlroy, Craig Gilroy, Matt Faddes, Stewart Moore, Aaron Sexton, Bill Johnston, David Shanahan.

(1-8) Kyle McCall, Adam McBurney (Capt.), Gareth Milasinovich, David O’Connor, Kieran Treadwell, David McCann, Marcus Rea, Greg Jones.

Replacements from: Tom Stewart, Callum Reid, Ross Kane, Azur Allison, Reuben Crothers, Lewis Finlay, Bruce Houston, Conor Rankin, Hayden Hyde.

Hope this has a live stream! Be keen see how they get on. Few interesting selections!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Looking forward to this

Interested to see how back row perform.

Also will they play 'Give it to Sexton'

Bit disappointed, to be honest. Probably more sensible than a mostly academy team. But still...

Interesting that McBurney is captain, just as I was wondering if Dan didn't like his attitude, or just didn't rate him.

McIlroy has looked like he has something special, so delighted to see him as fullback, particularly. He could be a long-term answer there.

Some interesting positional choices - didn't know if we'd see him at loose or tight, but hopefully that's the start of Milasinovich fighting his way into some senior 23 appearances. Rea at seven - thought he was more of a six/eight. Also Stewart Moore at inside centre - had thought he was more of a thirteen.

Everyone else is just getting up to speed for the start of the ProWhatever, I suppose. No second rows on the bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Bit disappointed, to be honest. Probably more sensible than a mostly academy team. But still...

Interesting that McBurney is captain, just as I was wondering if Dan didn't like his attitude, or just didn't rate him.

McIlroy has looked like he has something special, so delighted to see him as fullback, particularly. He could be a long-term answer there.

Some interesting positional choices - didn't know if we'd see him at loose or tight, but hopefully that's the start of Milasinovich fighting his way into some senior 23 appearances. Rea at seven - thought he was more of a six/eight. Also Stewart Moore at inside centre - had thought he was more of a thirteen.

Everyone else is just getting up to speed for the start of the ProWhatever, I suppose. No second rows on the bench?

Yes thought the same about McBurney.

Moore could be a great 12, in the Darcy mould. Maybe trying him there if Hume is set at 13

Leinster’s side is strong!

Back row gonna be up against it v Murphy, Penny, Deegan.

Was expecting to see Allison start over Jones tbf.

In fairness, Leinster have gone locked and loaded. No point fielding the youngsters to get a shoeing from the likes of Ruddock, Deegan and Josh Murphy.

In fairness, Leinster have gone locked and loaded. No point fielding the youngsters to get a shoeing from the likes of Ruddock, Deegan and Josh Murphy.

Ruddock only on the bench, is a scary barometer of where Leinster are currently!

Bit of a mixed team.

Part me questions why Faddes, Gilroy and Treadwell are playing, but then the likes of McIlroy and Sexton will benefit having Gilroy in the team. Faddes (as underwhelming as he may or may not have been) should be useful to Moore because of his experience. Treadwell maybe needs the gametime.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    Bit of a mixed team.

Part me questions why Faddes, Gilroy and Treadwell are playing, but then the likes of McIlroy and Sexton will benefit having Gilroy in the team. Faddes (as underwhelming as he may or may not have been) should be useful to Moore because of his experience. Treadwell maybe needs the gametime.

Agreed little bit of senior experience will help!

Think Faddes has suffered a lot from lack of continuity, constantly being rotated and starting in different positions. He was our top try scorer last season? Would love him to come good, but so much quality in academy he’s blocking.

Treadwell looks like he has almost fallen out of favour, but he does need game time.

Advertisement