Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Are we really imagining that we'll have the money for established NIQs in the next year or so? We may very well have to cut our cloth to suit, and he'd be on a fraction of what Carter's on. I'm only ruminating, but money is going to be the IRFU's priority over the next couple of years.
    I'm not suggesting we swoop for him, but the NIE situation is not going to be what it was. With less money about, some players might choose not to go pro.
    Equally, if a few clubs go to the wall, we might be awash with journeymen prepared to play for less. Difficult to predict.

Also, on the 42 report for last night, it tells you who came on when in the team list. Interestingly,Callum Reid played the whole of the second half. Hayden Hyde was on after 20 minutes because of an injury to McIlroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Are we really imagining that we'll have the money for established NIQs in the next year or so? We may very well have to cut our cloth to suit, and he'd be on a fraction of what Carter's on. I'm only ruminating, but money is going to be the IRFU's priority over the next couple of years.
    I'm not suggesting we swoop for him, but the NIE situation is not going to be what it was. With less money about, some players might choose not to go pro.
    Equally, if a few clubs go to the wall, we might be awash with journeymen prepared to play for less. Difficult to predict.

Also, on the 42 report for last night, it tells you who came on when in the team list. Interestingly,Callum Reid played the whole of the second half. Hayden Hyde was on after 20 minutes because of an injury to McIlroy.

Agreed, beggars can’t be choosers and I’d say these conversations have already been had! Especially with the chat of integrating more academy over season. Wouldn’t be surprised if IRFU have already sent orders to start using home grown talent. Whilst money for marquee signing will be limited going forward. Integrate them now before we fall of a cliff.

When we’re so bear in the row and backrow, definitely worth keep an eye on him.

Re. Subs seems odd not to use more of the bench in an A game. Real shame it wasn’t streamed!

The only subs that might have benefitted us to use would have been the scrumhalves, as we know Shanahan is not a long-term answer. The starting back row were all young and trying to break through, Callum Reid got a half, Hyde got an hour.

Milasinovich is getting up to speed, as are McBurney, Shanahan, Gilroy, Johnston so they can be used in the upcoming games. I wanted to see young kids start to be blooded, but I understand why the team was what it was.

As tough as the end of that season was, I suspect we might be in a stronger position going into this season than a lot of other teams - less rusty, and with A games to bed in new players

So. What sort of side do we think for Friday? Treviso have been no slouches this last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

So. What sort of side do we think for Friday? Treviso have been no slouches this last couple of years.

Strongest available side surely, players have had plenty of rest and the break was probably treated as a preseason basically. Not sure who's injured - Baloucoune, Addison, Coetzee possibly, Hume took a knock against Toulouse didn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Would love to see so we thing like

1 O’Sullivan 2 Herring 3 O’Toole 4 Treadwell 5 Henderson 6 McCann 7 Reidy 8 Coetzee 9 Cooney 10 Burns 11 Stockdale 12 McCloskey 13 Hume 14 Lyttle 15 Lowry

16 McBurney 17 McGrath 18 Moore 19 O’Connor 20 Murphy 21 Mathewson 22 Madigan 23 Ludik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    Would love to see so we thing like

1 O’Sullivan 2 Herring 3 O’Toole 4 Treadwell 5 Henderson 6 McCann 7 Reidy 8 Coetzee 9 Cooney 10 Burns 11 Stockdale 12 McCloskey 13 Hume 14 Lyttle 15 Lowry

16 McBurney 17 McGrath 18 Moore 19 O’Connor 20 Murphy 21 Mathewson 22 Madigan 23 Ludik

I'm in two minds about Stockdale's place in the team...do we try to play him into form or give him a few weeks on the sidelines training hard?

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    I'm in two minds about Stockdale's place in the team...do we try to play him into form or give him a few weeks on the sidelines training hard?

Same or come from the bench! Think it’s time for some continuity at fullback als. Either let Stockdale lock it down or let Faddes actually have a run off games there without chop and change.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Some players have played a lot of rugby recently...McCloskey and Stockdale (Hume as well possibly) have played every minute I think...or had before McCloskey went off in Toulouse.

Its Benetton at home...I think we can take one or two risks in selection. Get Moore in the centre, start Lowry at 10 and at least put McCann or Rea Jnr on the bench.

Out of all that the only thing I see happening is Moore getting a shot, but we'll see.

bilston wrote: »
    Some players have played a lot of rugby recently...McCloskey and Stockdale (Hume as well possibly) have played every minute I think...or had before McCloskey went off in Toulouse.

Its Benetton at home...I think we can take one or two risks in selection. Get Moore in the centre, start Lowry at 10 and at least put McCann or Rea Jnr on the bench.

Out of all that the only thing I see happening is Moore getting a shot, but we'll see.

Milasonvich could do with a bench spot, needs game time! Likely chance of losing O’Toole to Ireland in coming weeks also.

Think Murphy might be given a break also, so Rea/McCann might get the nod! All depends on Coetzees fitness!

Looking at the fixtures 2 weeks, break, then 7 straight! Time to get some squad rotation/experience.

• Advertisement

Utah_Saint wrote: »

If we were still In last season I would drop him but with this being a new season I’m tempted to just have it a clean slate and give him a chance to show us what he’s got. He’s still young and for someone his age form is everything, if he is given a chance to find that form he might get back to his best soon.

I'm kind of torn. Benetton are a decent team and you have to ask how much home advantage will actually count for, with no supporters in. If we lost this first game, it would really be a serious kick in the ballicks.

On the other hand, I do think we need to continue getting Milasinovich, Shanahan, McBurney, Gilroy etc up to speed, and not flog Coetzee and McCloskey. There's already niggles starting to set in. And I think one of our starting Ulster A back row should be lining out instead of Murphy or Rea Sr.

Everything you read about McFarland references his interest and studies in psychology. I am going to defer to his wisdom in dealing with the Stockdale Problem. Dan will have thought long and hard about how dropping Stockdale would work in terms of getting the best out of him. I trust him to know how to make our players tick - he dropped Cooney and Cooney looked to be improved when he started again.

I'm hoping we're a lot more battle hardened than Treviso, who had a couple of games against Zebre last month, I presume?

hoping we're a lot more battle hardened than Treviso, who had a couple of games against Zebre last month, I presume?

Treviso have had a mixed bag at the end of August lost 13-17 at home to Zebre then won 9-16 away to Zebre. There not the team they were 2 seasons ago though!

“I feel it’s great we’ve had games, our bodies are hardened, it allows you to get into a routine, a rhythm of how you want to play,” says Grant, whose pack this week may well contain many of the men who helped Ulster A beat their Leinster counterparts on Friday.

https://www.the42.ie/ulster-new-season-benetton-rugby-roddy-grant-5216824-Sep2020/

Bigging up McCann, and Milasinovich sounds likely to feature.

" "He's still a young player, so there are things for him to work on - consistency (for one), but that comes with age.

"Especially as a flanker, you want a lot of involvements, the good players do, and you want those involvements to be positive. All of us know the best guys are the ones that can do it consistently.

"He's competitive, he's got good footwork in attack, he's coordinated, which sounds obvious but you look at him and you can tell he's athletic and efficient.

"There are a lot of aspects for him to work on but I'm really enjoying coaching him, he's a really intelligent guy. He seems like he's receptive and picking things up quickly.

"But you can't get experience without experiences. You need to build it up. That will come but he's certainly got the ability."

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby/ulster-rugby/david-mccann-backed-to-lead-next-generation-as-ulster-prepare-to-blood-more-young-stars-39570724.html

Ulster Rugby will welcome 600 supporters to the 18,211-seater Kingspan Stadium on Friday night for the first game of the 2020/21 Guinness PRO14 season.

https://www.ulsterrugby.com/2020/09/ulster-rugby-to-trial-safe-return-of-supporters-this-weekend/

Ulster Rugby will welcome 600 supporters to the 18,211-seater Kingspan Stadium on Friday night for the first game of the 2020/21 Guinness PRO14 season.

https://www.ulsterrugby.com/2020/09/ulster-rugby-to-trial-safe-return-of-supporters-this-weekend/

thats great news. I suppose the lucky attendees will be picked from the season ticket holders

From that Ulster Together promo.

From that Ulster Together promo.

Is this going to be a regular thing for all home games?

They will probably spread it out 200 in East and West stands. With 100 each in Family and Memorial end.

EDIT: Just checked the article. They will only be using 3 stands (Not the terrace)

After the Ulster A victory last week and the disappointment of no stream available (to witness an Ulster win over Leinster). Ulster (and all Provinces) should move to a box-office style payment for Ulster A and Academy games this season.
    We are going to lose huge sums of money through lack of crowds so they might as well try and re-coup a small portion via people paying online to view a stream of Ulster A and Academy games. Keep the fee small enough and you would get at least a few hundred people wanting to watch.

• Advertisement

Great news. Hope I'm one of the lucky 300 (to get two tickets)...

I think it's a test event, so won't necessarily happen at all home games.

But hey it's £20 a ticket, so £12k in ticket sales...hopefully that will cover overheads, maybe not, but it is a step in the right direction, and if it works, then maybe down the line 600 fans will be come 1,000 fans and then 2,000 and so on. Obviously there is a limit as to how high they can go, but even 25% capacity in a few months time would be good to see.

The guy in the know on The Other Forum flagging an "exciting" team. McCann/Moore?

Addison out for several months following back surgery.

The guy in the know on The Other Forum flagging an "exciting" team. McCann/Moore?

McCloskey and Burns both ruled out. I'd say Moore will be starting

McCann and Moore I would love to see but another I would love is Sexton/McElroy!

McIlroy is injured

Bound to be Moore then. With McCloskey, Marshall, Curtis and Addison out the only other players who can play in the centre are Madigan, Ludik and Faddes.

Burns injured as well - Coetzee seems to be okay, but surely we can't send him out again?

Bound to be Moore then. With McCloskey, Marshall, Curtis and Addison out the only other players who can play in the centre are Madigan, Ludik and Faddes.

Burns injured as well - Coetzee seems to be okay, but surely we can't send him out again?

Coetzee will have had 3 weeks off so might be OK.

As discussed before if McCann or Marcus Rea are starting, ideally they would have the likes of Coetzee and Henderson on the pitch with them.

bilston wrote: »
    McIlroy is injured

Ah ****e :/

Sexton will have to do so!

• Advertisement

Quite a few injuries building, although forcing our hand to blood some new players might be a blessing in disguise! Personally looking forward to some of these academy players getting some experience!

Advertisement