Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

For one of the benetton tries, previous ruck Carter gets hand-offed from a standing position at a ruck, falls on his a****. Gets up, moves to blindside, jogs over to openside when benetton attack. Attempts tackle when they score. No video analysis will do anyone any favours. Perhaps we are harsh here some times, but if you are a NIQ the expectation is higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

bilston wrote: »
    Very impressed with them both. Moore just has it. McCann was very impressive...if only he'd beaten the last man for his break...what a try thay would have been!

Overall a good night, agree with the sentiment on Carter. O'Connor or Treadwell should be ahead of him. The prop "Gareth" put himself about as well when he came on.

Carters attempted tackle on the line break prior to their third score was shocking.

Albeit set piece went smoothly whilst he was on, rolling maul was some weapon. He could take some credit in that.

The only other thing I can think of is Dan is trying to play him into form before Henderson goes to Irish camp. We already know what Treadwell and O’Connor bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Carter is here as a Ozzie team captain, and someone with international caps. He has delivered very little.

• Administrators Posts: 53,748 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I can't remember when it was but there was one line break in the first half when their player literally sauntered past a half-arsed Carter who barely raised a hand to him.

If he's not fit enough to attempt a tackle, don't play him. If he's not arsed enough to attempt a tackle, don't play him. Ulster caps should not be wasted on trying to play players into form.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Stockdale was very good going forward tonight, especially early on, but his defensive game looks to be getting worse rather than better.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,748 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Stockdale was very good going forward tonight, especially early on, but his defensive game looks to be getting worse rather than better.

Pretty sure Stockdale last completed a tackle in 2018.

awec wrote: »
    I can't remember when it was but there was one line break in the first half when their player literally sauntered past a half-arsed Carter who barely raised a hand to him.

If he's not fit enough to attempt a tackle, don't play him. If he's not arsed enough to attempt a tackle, don't play him. Ulster caps should not be wasted on trying to play players into form.

The penalty that he gave away for sealing just before he was subbed was criminal.

That's the one that decided it for me. Totally unnecessary, completely turned around a good, fast Ulster attack. It's well beyond that point at which he should have proven his worth.

Also - Marty Moore. Folk can laugh because he's a big pudding - but he's actually been very good in the loose. Genuinely - pop passes, jumping back up to tackle again. He works very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

awec wrote: »

Especially when playing players into form worked so well for Ireland in 2019...

• Advertisement

Also - Marty Moore. Folk can laugh because he's a big pudding - but he's actually been very good in the loose. Genuinely - pop passes, jumping back up to tackle again. He works very hard.

Was thinking that tonight. Other than Cooney, I'd say Moore has been our best ex Leinster player signing (not including Alan O'Connor who didn't play for them).

There was one phase in the game just before he was subbed that he was tackled and offloaded to Henderson. Henderson was tackled and Moore was immediately up and clearing out. For all the grief he got for Covid bulk, his work rate was exceptional last night I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

degsie wrote: »
    Give me a 'V'.
    Give me a 'P'
    Give me an 'N'
    Whatcha got? A rugby game!

I had express VPN but didn't actually use it as often as I thought I would.

I know I could get a workaround for it, i could also get rid of Sky and get IPTV but I like having the Sky set up and interface, it's just a pain in the arse that rugby is spread across so many channels.

So. Loss for Glasgow, win for Ospreys. Edinburgh and Scarlets both looked poor. First game back, but the relative balance of the conferences won't be the same as last season.

So. Loss for Glasgow, win for Ospreys. Edinburgh and Scarlets both looked poor. First game back, but the relative balance of the conferences won't be the same as last season.

In a good way or a bad way?

Ospreys supposedly were very good yesterday? Be a step up next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

launish116 wrote: »
    In a good way or a bad way?

Ospreys supposedly were very good yesterday? Be a step up next week!

Will be a step up as Edinburgh looked poor but it will be good test also for Ulster to see exactly where they are at in the early stage of the season. Despite yesterday's defeat I still think Scarlets will be there or thereabouts at the business end of the season.

Is it still a conference system or is it a straight league this season?

Is it still a conference system or is it a straight league this season?

Conferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

https://www.the42.ie/david-mccann-ulster-dan-soper-5224675-Oct2020/

I wasn't aware McCann was a Centre up to lower sixth ? Hopefully he keeps progressing and uses those handling/Vision skills more often in the back-row

Four of the Master Race in Saturday's team. Wish I'd known..

• Advertisement

Callum Reid in the Academy as well...Inst had some team a few years ago under Soper. There were a few other good players in that team as well, Rhys O'Donnell being the obvious one. Still not sure how he hasnt had a look in with Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Callum Reid in the Academy as well...Inst had some team a few years ago under Soper. There were a few other good players in that team as well, Rhys O'Donnell being the obvious one. Still not sure how he hasnt had a look in with Ulster.

They had Mark Keane as well who’s actually played for ulster as well (against the barbarians).

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

The Force Awakens

What is the story with Azur Allison? Injured?

Don't think so? Didn't he play for Ulster A?

Don't think so? Didn't he play for Ulster A?

Just curious appreciate McCann seems for greatness and starting to get exposure.

Rea jnr is getting pushed by Ulster’s press.

Jones starting for A

Not much mention of him since his senior appearance last year. He’s a propper 8 and did well for Ireland u20s.

Could really do with a natural 8 to shadow Coetzee.

launish116 wrote: »
    Just curious appreciate McCann seems for greatness and starting to get exposure.

Rea jnr is getting pushed by Ulster’s press.

Jones starting for A

Not much mention of him since his senior appearance last year. He’s a propper 8 and did well for Ireland u20s.

Could really do with a natural 8 to shadow Coetzee.

Yeah - agreed. But bear in mind this is the second game and there will be plenty of time. Ospreys don't look like being the push-overs they were last season. There'll be Zebre and Dragons games and games against teams stripped of international players later in the autumn. Playing Edinburgh, for example, during the extended international window, would feature a radically different team sheet to to our SF game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

1 senior & 1 academy player have now tested positive for Covid-19.

• Advertisement

Is there even any point trying to guess the squad for this weekend, with Covid wreaking havoc?

Given the disruption to training and so on, I wonder would it be better to view this game as a squad-building opportunity? Are the international players available this week, or does camp start next week?

Advertisement