Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Lads what is going on with FB?
    I see Larmour on the wing again for Leinster.
    I thought the Stockdale FB thing was dead.

At least Carter isnt playing this week!
    Liking this Moore fella at 12. 13 Humes best position?

Stockdale was very good going forward at 15 last week...poor defensively though...we might as well stick at it...Addison is injured...Lowry I guess is being rested...McIlroy maybe isn't ready and Ludik is on the wind down...so no harm.keeping Stockdale at 15.

• Administrators Posts: 53,748 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

At least there's no Carter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

awec wrote: »

Ye good see Treadwell back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

i really want to see something from Treadwell this week.
    What has been going on that Carter is getting game time ahead of him?

Roux looks to be Ireland third choice lock. Quinn Roux!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

awec wrote: »

Does Sam Carter have a twin?
    Because there is a Sam Carter who has won multiple caps for Australia and then there is the Ulster Sam Carter who walks, flaps his arms out, flops and then walks slower again.
    He makes Kane Douglas's performances look hard working and resilient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

FrannoFan wrote: »
    I would have had moore and mcgrath in for scrum alone.

last 20 mins in france with Ed Byrne and Belaham doesn't bode well

Cooney unlucky. i'm hoping marmion and gibson park point towards and higher tempo ireland rather than a slight on the player.

Stu very unlucky. Center just so competitive with aki/henshaw/ringrose

There's nothing to suggest Moore is a significantly better scrummager than Bealham though... Connacht have had a rock solid scrum for years with Buckley and Bealham at 1 and 3, they've regularly been near the top of the league for scrum success.

Marcus Rea is looking the part so far.

Pretty scrappy stuff in what seem like tough conditions

bilston wrote: »

Agreed, has been good so far!

Decent half from Ulster. The pack in general have been excellent. Coetzee and Marcus Rea going well...Matt Faddes has done well in the backs and Stockdale has looked more like himself on both sides of the ball.

Tight scoreline though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Honestly, a lot better than was expecting. Was wondering why McCann didn't get another run out, but Rea's been good.

Lineout working well and building phases properly, we're playing pretty well. Still not protecting ball brilliantly and a few passes going astray though. Osprey's haven't gotten into it at all really, too many mistakes from them.

Stockdale back to doing some stockdale-of-old things as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

What even was the point of that from Henderson. Silly silly stuff.

What even was the point of that from Henderson. Silly silly stuff.

Moronic.

Moore is a very exciting prospect at 12. What McCloskey brings in brawn Moore brings in guile.

I am not sure if Moore and Hume will work against better teams but it’s sure fun to watch.

Lot's to be positive about from that - some individuals put their hand up and the team played well together in bad conditions against a decent ospreys side. Backrow was the standout to me, Rea brothers put in a shift and it allowed Coetzee more room to show off. Hume ticking along nicely as well and stockdale can be happy with that.

Some negatives, our hands let us down some times and we gave away brainless penalties. Thought Stewart Moore had a poor game and his defence needs a lot of improvement (much like Hume when he started) but the mistakes he made today were uncharacteristic, he'll bounce back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Really like the look of Moore, kicked a lot out on the full and his defense needs to improve but he just look very classy and you always feel when he gets the ball that something might happen. Encouraging to see so many 1999 group players breaking through across the province’s already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

A messy win away from home. Should have got the TBP, I felt. Some observations:

Hendo - what was that about? Simmer down, big fella. Think he was getting frustrated with the ref, but what an idiotic way to respond.
    The Ospreys' lineout is woeful. I mean, awful. Made it easy for us. Handed us the game.
    The Ospreys never looked like scoring. Maybe, just maybe, playing Leinster, Toulouse and Benetton on the bounce has made people think we're worse than we are. We're not at the top table, but we're not Ospreys' level.
    Marcus Rea - busy, skillful, aggressive. Welcome to the club.
    And you know what? Marty Fecking Moore as well. He's the same. Fair play, big lad.
    Our forwards are - whisper it - all actually pretty skillful. Handling in the frenetic loose, tip on passes - we actually look comfortable. Soper has worked wonders.
    Thought Stewart Moore showed the some great stuff mixed with some tough errors. He got away with it tonight and will improve.
    Stockdale starting to get a bit of confidence back? Cooney still struggling - some of those kicks and slow service, I thought. He's not back there yet.
    Faddes looked like he was trying. Thanks, Matt.
    A couple of times we went for points off a penalty. Of course, Cooney missed them.

Not great at all - some teams will mince the Ospreys, and I genuinely felt like we left a point out there, as opposed to being grateful for the win.

Defender of the night Mike Adamson!

Jokes aside, Ospreys really didn’t offer much in attack! Ulster left a point behind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Has Henderson been banned before, recently?

Likely to miss Italy I guess, France too maybe?

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Has Henderson been banned before, recently?

Likely to miss Italy I guess, France too maybe?

He got a red card many moons ago, but it was over-turned. It was absolutely a red tonight, but the Ospreys player was fine, doubt it will be anything too extreme.

He got a red card for the same offence years ago against Munster, Nigel Owens sent him off.

But then Nigel Owens went to the citing hearing and admitted he got it wrong.

Jordi might properly struggle to get back into the first choice 15/23.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Did Jonny Stewart leave Ulster over the summer?
    Thought he was an exciting prospect but seemed to disappear without mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Purist98

Did Jonny Stewart leave Ulster over the summer?
    Thought he was an exciting prospect but seemed to disappear without mention.
    According to his Instagram he's at Utrecht University

Just read a tweet by Murray Kinsella that Jack Willis is IQ and Ulster allegedly examined the idea of making an approach a while back...if only...pretty sure that ship has sailed now!!

Not sure if I was transported back to 2018 last night (...if only...) but Jacob Stockdale looked a different player last night. The Ospreys couldn't handle him at all. Great to see.

Just read a tweet by Murray Kinsella that Jack Willis is IQ and Ulster allegedly examined the idea of making an approach a while back...if only...pretty sure that ship has sailed now!!

Aye he’s been unreal for Wasps and likely English Honor’s coming shortly.

Though good to see we’re targeting good players.

• Advertisement

9 points from 2 games, including an away win to a team that beat us on their own grounds season...so we're in credit from last year already...on paper that's a decent enough Ospreys team...

However the two biggest plusses for Ulster over the last 2 games have been David McCann and Marcus Rea. Two homegrown back row forwards who look the part at Pro 14 level against admittedly middling opposition. But you've got to start somewhere.

McCann, we talked about last week, but Marcus Rea was really impressive last night. He makes his tackles, he is a good line-out option, he has a low centre gravity and uses it in effectively in the carry and he is a nuisance at the breakdown. He was also talking a lot last night as well. The only thing I want to know is why we haven't seen more of him already!

Advertisement