Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,488 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Dardis. What journo wrote that he was an outside bet to get a call up for the Lions back in the day?

was that one of will greenwoods whoppers??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

sydthebeat wrote: »
    was that one of will greenwoods whoppers??
    No. Definitely was an irish journo. Think it was Tony Ward. Didnt he also compare Dardis to Christian Cullen at his peak?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

No. Definitely was an irish journo. Think it was Tony Ward. Didnt he also compare Dardis to Christian Cullen at his peak?

https://www.joe.ie/sport/powerade-one-to-watch-billy-dardis-44525

Conveniently the journo name has been removed

• Registered Users Posts: 24,235 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It was Tony Ward alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I thought there was something even more full-on than that, when Dardis was getting periodic games for Leinster?

Or maybe I'm getting mixed up with Greenwood, who wanted Adam Byrne starting in the Lions 15.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/will-greenwood-shocks-us-uncapped-irish-choice-lions-110472

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

I thought there was something even more full-on than that, when Dardis was getting periodic games for Leinster?

Or maybe I'm getting mixed up with Greenwood, who wanted Adam Byrne starting in the Lions 15.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/will-greenwood-shocks-us-uncapped-irish-choice-lions-110472

Dardis never played for Leinster.

Larmour was also compared to Cullen. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

To be fair I remember Tony Ward writing an article on a Blackrock Junior Cup match years and years ago and at the end of it he said something along the lines of "Remember the name...Andrew Conway"...think he did something similar with Luke Fitzgerald...so he gets it right some of the time.

Players like Billy Dardis and Jack Kelly are probably evidence that being king of Schools doesn't get you into the door, it might get you within sight of the door, but its a big jump to AIL and U20s, never mind provincial A rugby.

Any Ulster fans remember Jamie Smith? What a schoolboy talent he was, sure he played a few games for Ulster and the Dragons and fair play to him, but I remember watching him in a Schools Cup Final back in about 2008 or so, and thinking he was the next big thing.

To me now, I try to get hyped only about players standing out at U20s level for Ireland, before that they are just playing against their national peers really. Few exceptions obviously like Aaron Sexton...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,235 ✭✭✭✭Buer

People get completely blinded by their affection for schools rugby (which is pretty damn weird in itself). Some cannot separate the player on show with the crest they wear and what it represents to them (which is also pretty damn weird in itself). I recall a poster on this forum suggesting a number of years ago that a top schools game was of a higher standard than a low level Pro14 match (which is pretty damn....you get the point).

There's few things weirder than the adoration and fascination with schools rugby on this island. It's far more intense within the Leinster region than elsewhere but there's certainly a similar sense with a few of the bigger schools in Munster and Ulster. They're kids who haven't finished growing both physically and mentally. Grown adults in their thirties and forties following their results, friendly matches, injuries etc. is just bloody odd at best.

Buer wrote: »
    People get completely blinded by their affection for schools rugby (which is pretty damn weird in itself). Some cannot separate the player on show with the crest they wear and what it represents to them (which is also pretty damn weird in itself). I recall a poster on this forum suggesting a number of years ago that a top schools game was of a higher standard than a low level Pro14 match (which is pretty damn....you get the point).

There's few things weirder than the adoration and fascination with schools rugby on this island. It's far more intense within the Leinster region than elsewhere but there's certainly a similar sense with a few of the bigger schools in Munster and Ulster. They're kids who haven't finished growing both physically and mentally. Grown adults in their thirties and forties following their results, friendly matches, injuries etc. is just bloody odd at best.

it happens everywhere, looks at the states and american football/basketball recruiting.. or the coverage academies get in the UK. etc. etc.

• Advertisement

Agreed. Anyway, Ulster vs Dragons...

any chance Sexton plays?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

bayern wrote: »
    any chance Sexton plays?

A lot of hype around Sexton, is he actually deserving of it? or is it just because of his sprinting backround?

serious question i've never seen him play,

But not even guys like Lyttle whos outstanding got talked about as much as Sexton who hasnt really done anything yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

all are ex-leinster underage, some ex-academy bar O'Sullivan..

Leinster squad is meant to be leinster academy & senior players but given injuries they can't field.

Yep have been through the Leinster system bar O'sullivan

A lot of hype around Sexton, is he actually deserving of it? or is it just because of his sprinting backround?

But not even guys like Lyttle whos outstanding got talked about as much as Sexton who hasnt really done anything yet...

Sexton scored 7 tries in 5 games (I think) for the Ulster A team as a 17/18 year old schoolboy so he clearly has potential.

I think he played a bit at 10 at school for what its worth. Again...schoolboy rugby is all well and good...but he seems to be more than just a fast runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Just had a week off, now we have 6 weeks of rugby (+euro?). Still have a reasonably strong squad in comparison to some other teams over international window.

Would maybe roll the dice a little more with the Dragons at home and have a stronger bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

any chance Sexton plays?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Definitely has some super strengths but maybe wait and see a bit longer.

Would rest Coetzee, start Lowry and McCann or Rea. Maybe start Milasinovich. Treadwell deserves a start over Carter. Continue with Moore and Hume.

Ludik looks done - can anyone else play 15 to let Lowry start at ten? Faddes? Madigan?

Would rest Coetzee, start Lowry and McCann or Rea. Maybe start Milasinovich. Treadwell deserves a start over Carter. Continue with Moore and Hume.

Ludik looks done - can anyone else play 15 to let Lowry start at ten? Faddes? Madigan?

Wouldn’t mind seeing a Reidy, Murphy, Allison backrow. With Coetzee (used depending on score), Rea/McCann, Treadwell on bench to add some tempo from bench.

Can’t decide about loosehead to Stick with Mcgrath/O’Sullivan or go with a O’Sullivan (60Mins+) then blood Reid. Really depends how much risk we take with back row.

• Advertisement

I don't think we ca go too biccies. I'd rather have experienced heads on the bench in case a rescue is required. Personally, I'm not sure why McGrath is starting ahead of O'Sullivan generally.

I'm not sure what the crack is with Murphy. But I would be a bit concerned by a Rea Sr - Reidy - Allison backrow. Maybe that's not fair - Rea Sr is our first choice blindside now.

I don't think we ca go too biccies. I'd rather have experienced heads on the bench in case a rescue is required. Personally, I'm not sure why McGrath is starting ahead of O'Sullivan generally.

I'm not sure what the crack is with Murphy. But I would be a bit concerned by a Rea Sr - Reidy - Allison backrow. Maybe that's not fair - Rea Sr is our first choice blindside now.

Agree with the rescue plan, few changes to starters with a few big hitters for a rescue.

Not sure Murphy has been right since that HIA, so few weeks of would of done him good! Just think against the dragons we might need Reidys work rate, especially if Coetzee is rested.

A backrow of Reidy, Timoney, Murphy in the past would of been expected to compete against the Dragons and win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

launish116 wrote: »
    Wouldn’t mind seeing a Reidy, Murphy, Allison backrow. With Coetzee (used depending on score), Rea/McCann, Treadwell on bench to add some tempo from bench.

Can’t decide about loosehead to Stick with Mcgrath/O’Sullivan or go with a O’Sullivan (60Mins+) then blood Reid. Really depends how much risk we take with back row.

I like the look of that. Allison was up and running in the sevens and Rea + McCann got their minutes already, so I wonder if he's in line for a game. Might start Coetzee as we've had a week off but there is a run of games coming up and I guess it just depends which teams we want him playing against the most.

I wouldn't be resting Coetzee...he could be gone until Christmas very soon, plus he just had a week off.

First choice props, McBurney at Hooker, Super Al and Treaders in the row. Coetzee at 8, bring Jordi back, and maybe rest Matty Rea and start Reidy at 6.or possibly even Greg Jones. I'd have Allison on the bench to get him 20 minutes.

Cooney at 9, its probably Bill Johnston's turn to start at 10. I wonder if McCloskey will be available? Either him or Moore at 12. Hume at 13. Lyttle and Gilroy on the wings and I'd maybe have a look at Madigan at FB.

bilston wrote: »
    I wouldn't be resting Coetzee...he could be gone until Christmas very soon, plus he just had a week off.

First choice props, McBurney at Hooker, Super Al and Treaders in the row. Coetzee at 8, bring Jordi back, and maybe rest Matty Rea and start Reidy at 6.or possibly even Greg Jones. I'd have Allison on the bench to get him 20 minutes.

Cooney at 9, its probably Bill Johnston's turn to start at 10. I wonder if McCloskey will be available? Either him or Moore at 12. Hume at 13. Lyttle and Gilroy on the wings and I'd maybe have a look at Madigan at FB.

To be fair never even considered Coetzee being called up. McCloskey being back could really help the case for academy backrowers getting abit more game time.

Would Milasonvich maybe get the nod to start, in case Moore gets called up for Ireland in next few weeks? He needs game time and brought up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Sexton is a big guy who does this.

He ran the 100m in an astounding 10.49 seconds and followed it up with another Ulster schools' best time of 21.20 seconds in the 200m. He has gone faster than that in the 200m, clocking a time of 21.06 at the World U20 Championship last year.

One thing that can't be coached is pace like that. Imagine the hype if he played at Leinster.

jacothelad wrote: »

One thing that can't be coached is pace like that. Imagine the hype if he played at Leinster.

I’m looking forward to seeing him coming of the bench against a tiring team with space opening up.

• Administrators Posts: 53,748 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

jacothelad wrote: »
    Sexton is a big guy who does this.

He ran the 100m in an astounding 10.49 seconds and followed it up with another Ulster schools' best time of 21.20 seconds in the 200m. He has gone faster than that in the 200m, clocking a time of 21.06 at the World U20 Championship last year.

launish116 wrote: »
    I’m looking forward to seeing him coming of the bench against a tiring team with space opening up.

All Sexton has to do is find a forward that he can beat on the outside and the southern rugby media will have him labelled as the greatest thing since sliced bread*.

* this may only happen to Leinster players.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about Coetzee being called up as well. But my wanting to "rest" him was poorly phrased regardless - it's more about getting McCann, ReaJ or Allison more embedded in the team.

To be honest, I'd forgotten about Timoney, which pretty unfair given what a stalwart he's been over the previous couple of seasons.

All the Dragons' talk about coming over and beating Leinster was bullish and way off, but I am concerned that they're not the walkovers they have been.

• Advertisement

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby/ulster-rugby/ulsters-young-midfield-pair-have-proven-quality-ahead-of-jamie-roberts-test-says-dwayne-peel-39649067.html

Marshall and Billy Burns back in training as of yesterday. Name checks Stewart Moore, Hume and Lowry as "ready to step up".

Advertisement