Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby/ulster-rugby/ulsters-young-midfield-pair-have-proven-quality-ahead-of-jamie-roberts-test-says-dwayne-peel-39649067.html

Marshall and Billy Burns back in training as of yesterday. Name checks Stewart Moore, Hume and Lowry as "ready to step up".

Marshall could of been handy. Roberts could give us a few issues in midfield if it’s a Lowry, Stewart, Hume, partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Yeah, I might have Lowry at fifteen. Roberts is still a beast, and there's not much experience between 10-12 with Lowry and Moore.

Yeah, I might have Lowry at fifteen. Roberts is still a beast, and there's not much experience between 10-12 with Lowry and Moore.

No doubting them going forwards, be just worried defending. Would expect Roberts to be used to grab a foot hold and set some go forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not sure I'd be keen to split up the Moore/Hume partnership, but then I think we've games every week for a while now, so they will have to do it at some point.

McCloskey could yet be available as well.

• Advertisement

It probably wouldn't have been a good look given the situation at present, but as I've said before I was at the game two weeks ago and it felt perfectly safe to me...a lot safer than Tescos or any other shop I've been in recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

bilston wrote: »
    It probably wouldn't have been a good look given the situation at present, but as I've said before I was at the game two weeks ago and it felt perfectly safe to me...a lot safer than Tescos or any other shop I've been in recently.

Obviously social distancing rules could be better enforced in shops, but I think the main point is that a trip to watch the rugby is an entirely unnecessary risk (unlike shopping), and the lockdown is supposed to be minimising this. Some people might be alright with taking that risk, but a pandemic is a social issue and it affects everyone else - going to a rugby match requires travel and encourages friends to meet up (despite not being allowed to), both of which facilitates the spreading of the virus.

If kind of waffling on but we can't think of just going to a rugby match as a singular event that seems safe enough. Keep in mind that everyone in the country has an event they'd like to just pop out to each week and things don't seem too safe again.

Anyway, I've got confidence that our squad is strong enough to deal with the dragons...I'm less confident about our government and the virus.

Obviously social distancing rules could be better enforced in shops, but I think the main point is that a trip to watch the rugby is an entirely unnecessary risk (unlike shopping), and the lockdown is supposed to be minimising this. Some people might be alright with taking that risk, but a pandemic is a social issue and it affects everyone else - going to a rugby match requires travel and encourages friends to meet up (despite not being allowed to), both of which facilitates the spreading of the virus.

If kind of waffling on but we can't think of just going to a rugby match as a singular event that seems safe enough. Keep in mind that everyone in the country has an event they'd like to just pop out to each week and things don't seem too safe again.

Anyway, I've got confidence that our squad is strong enough to deal with the dragons...I'm less confident about our government and the virus.

I'm not denying all that

Anyway as you say just hope Ulster get 5 points on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

I can't understand people just giving up on all normal life including this sort of thing. The IRFU and UR are going well beyond Govn requirements and being very careful in training etc etc. No evidence that I know of saying watching UR last game was spreading virus.

"Not a good look" etc is all part of the same mindset. Freedoms easily given up will be hard to regain. Schools clubs etc will be lucky to have any kind of season if we all go above and beyond what the Govn is asking.

Obviously anyone who is nervous or chooses to shield can stay home as they see fit.

Very disappointing decision.

A family member plays at a good level and is very depressed about it all. Can see a lot of guys packing it in. Hearing reports of school coaching staff quite enjoying not having to stay after school to coach and regaining their time on Saturday mornings. Friend at 1 of the big 3 rugby schools in Belfast reckons he won't get all his coaches back now. Ballynahinch head coach packed it in earlier than planned last week. I can see the sport really suffering for an illness that barely affects the u40's who are statistically more likely to die in an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I don't think the actual match is the issue

Locally in Dublin parents on school run are hanging around chatting in groups of 5-10

Group training has gone to one parent bringing multiple kids to/from at local GAA club. No masks being worn

HSE contact tracing made 23000 calls last week. How many of those are actually following isolation guidelines? Dungarvan GAA, Fermanagh (?) I think also. The Garda at the Dullard Press conference

Only 50% of those who take a test as a result of being a close contact return for the 2nd test 7 days later. They have a 2% positivity rate. So if they aren't self isolating according to guidelines.

I was on a bus to work yesterday morning. About 12 people on it (7am). I counted 7 or 8 with the mask not even covering their mouths properly.

Everything that increases close contacts numbers is now a major problem.

• Advertisement

So South Africa aren’t defending the Championship and it’s looking like Coetzee will be available throughout international window, News Letter reporting.

Dragons have lost 5 to Wales, with fullback Holmes returning and now available.

launish116 wrote: »
    So South Africa aren’t defending the Championship and it’s looking like Coetzee will be available throughout international window, News Letter reporting.

Dragons have lost 5 to Wales, with fullback Holmes returning and now available.

Could give Coetzee a week off I suppose. Cardiff away (randomly at 6.15 on Mon 2nd November) is up next where we will definitely need him. But if Coetzee doesn't play against the Dragons then Murphy probably needs to come back in.

Shame about the Springboks though, but good news for Ulster...and Munster...

Could give Coetzee a week off I suppose. Cardiff away (randomly at 6.15 on Mon 2nd November) is up next where we will definitely need him. But if Coetzee doesn't play against the Dragons then Murphy probably needs to come back in.

Shame about the Springboks though, but good news for Ulster...and Munster...

Dragons & Zebre are two games we could potentially rest Coetzee, without flogging for 6 straight. Having McCloskey for Sunday would really help.

Would love to see 6/2 split

1. McGrath
    2. McBurney
    3. Milasonovich
    4. Alan O’Connor
    5. Tread well
    6. McCann
    7. Murphy
    8. Coetzee
    9. Cooney
    10. Lowry > Johnston
    11. Little
    12. McCloskey > Stewart
    13. Hume
    14. Gilroy
    15. Madigan > Faddes

16. O’Sullivan (If he starts, bench Reid 20mins)
    17. Andrew
    18. Moore
    19. Carter
    20. Reidy (2nd half @ 6)
    21. Allison (last 20-25 mins @ 8)
    22. Mathewson
    23. Faddes

Think 10 & 15 could dictate the team. Appreciate a lot of academy there. Biggest concern would be that 12 channel against Roberts! Not a lot of experience without McCloskey. If we go for a 5/3 split bring sexton on to bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Dragons & Zebre are two games we could potentially rest Coetzee, without flogging for 6 straight. Having McCloskey for Sunday would really help.

Would love to see 6/2 split

1. McGrath
    2. McBurney
    3. Milasonovich
    4. Alan O’Connor
    5. Tread well
    6. McCann
    7. Murphy
    8. Coetzee
    9. Cooney
    10. Lowry > Johnston
    11. Little
    12. McCloskey > Stewart
    13. Hume
    14. Gilroy
    15. Madigan > Faddes

16. O’Sullivan (If he starts, bench Reid 20mins)
    17. Andrew
    18. Moore
    19. Carter
    20. Reidy (2nd half @ 6)
    21. Allison (last 20-25 mins @ 8)
    22. Mathewson
    23. Faddes

Think 10 & 15 could dictate the team. Appreciate a lot of academy there. Biggest concern would be that 12 channel against Roberts! Not a lot of experience without McCloskey. If we go for a 5/3 split bring sexton on to bench.

Roberts is not the biggest issue for Ulster, Roberts is a fraction of the player he was and did a total of sweet damn all against an 85kg Timmy O'brien for 70 minutes againste Leinster- ulster shouldnt be worried about a young gun like Moore going up against an aged Roberts on his last couple seasons of pro rugby - this is the exact kind of growth and learning experience you want him to have...against an old wise head like Roberts, but hardly a terrifying prospect that he should be shielded from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Roberts is not the biggest issue for Ulster, Roberts is a fraction of the player he was and did a total of sweet damn all against an 85kg Timmy O'brien for 70 minutes againste Leinster- ulster shouldnt be worried about a young gun like Moore going up against an aged Roberts on his last couple seasons of pro rugby - this is the exact kind of growth and learning experience you want him to have...against an old wise head like Roberts, but hardly a terrifying prospect that he should be shielded from

Tommy O'Brien is not 85kg

bayern wrote: »
    Tommy O'Brien is not 85kg

Regularly seen him in person I'd be extremely skeptical about his Leinster profile listing of 95kg which i doubt hes even close to,

Still doesnt change my point in the slightest of trying to shield S.Moore who is the same size as T.o'BRIEN from an aged Jaime Roberts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Regularly seen him in person I'd be extremely skeptical about his Leinster profile listing of 95kg which i doubt hes even close to,

Still doesnt change my point in the slightest of trying to shield S.Moore who is the same size as T.o'BRIEN from an aged Jaime Roberts

No way he's 95. But definitely more than 85 alright.

Given he's 6'0" I reckon he's at about 90. Similar frame to Keenan and that's what Keenan is billed as

No way he's 95. But definitely more than 85 alright.

Given he's 6'0" I reckon he's at about 90. Similar frame to Keenan and that's what Keenan is billed as

yep about that Mullens Billed ad 90 and so is Frawley, here is is with both of those:

?width=630&version=3331015

No team announcement yet?

Normally at 12 the day before (Friday for a Sunday match)
    ..I don't like change!

No team announcement yet?

Normally at 12 the day before (Friday for a Sunday match)
    ..I don't like change!

Was wondering that also

• Advertisement

Bit of press for ReaJea over the last day or so wouldn't be surprised to see him start again.

Bit of press for ReaJea over the last day or so wouldn't be surprised to see him start again.

Treadwell also.

In fairness Rea Jnr looked eager and aggressive.

Have been doing a bit of thinking this morning. (Unprecedented times, unprecedented measures.)

I watched a toothless Scarlets struggle against the absolute bare bones of a Treviso team last night.

We were finalists last season in the ProWhatever, and during this international window (which runs for over a month, am I right?) we are missing no more than four players to international call ups. Less than the Dragons.is there any other team less impacted?

I have been saying for the last week that I want to see young lads bedded in. And I still think that's critical... But what an opportunity to try and establish an early lead in the league. Personally, I think it's a mistake not having Cooney in camp, and I'd also make the case for EOS. But as long as they're home with us... We should be pushing to absolutely maximise our points over the next month and a half.

We're away to Cardiff on the 2.11, at home to Glasgow the 9.11, away to Zebre on 16.11, away to Scarlets 22.11, and at home to Edinburgh 30.11. That could be quite the run. Go much more locked and loaded against Cardiff, Glasgow and Edinburgh, we still get to let a younger team have a crack at Zebre. If we're canny, we could make a real push. Especially with Burns, Marshall and TOT at least returning from injury.

I'll say it again though, we need Lewis Finlay to be there or thereabouts at the end of this season. Otherwise, that's a crucial area where we haven't progressed. Anyway, team at 12:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I'll say it again though, we need Lewis Finlay to be there or thereabouts at the end of this season. Otherwise, that's a crucial area where we haven't progressed. Anyway, team at 12:00.

Half-back stocks are looking a little problematic aren't they? Don't see Matthewson staying another year, and I'd be worried if we go into next season with Shanahan as our main back-up scrumhalf.

Johnston doesn't seem to be highly thought of by the coaches as they parachuted Madigan in, Lowry is probably too small, and Burns is inconsistent. Houston the only academy fly half and I'm uncertain he has a future here tbh.

Half-back stocks are looking a little problematic aren't they? Don't see Matthewson staying another year, and I'd be worried if we go into next season with Shanahan as our main back-up scrumhalf.

Johnston doesn't seem to be highly thought of by the coaches as they parachuted Madigan in, Lowry is probably too small, and Burns is inconsistent. Houston the only academy fly half and I'm uncertain he has a future here tbh.

Less worried about outhalf. I think Madigan's there to allow Johnston and Lowry to grow into it over this year. For Lowry, that's already started to happen (he might be too small at international level, but club level I'd be markedly less concerned). But we'd already be better off there than when Madigan arrived. Not so at nine.

• Administrators Posts: 53,748 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There are no excuses for Ulster not to rack up the points during the international window.

Ulster team to play Dragons, Guinness PRO14 Round 3, Sunday 25 October 2020, at Kingspan Stadium (kick-off 3pm, live on Premier Sports):

(15-9) Rob Lyttle, Matt Faddes, James Hume, Stewart Moore, Louis Ludik, Ian Madigan, John Cooney.

(1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, John Andrew, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor, Sam Carter (Capt.), Sean Reidy, Jordi Murphy, Marcell Coetzee.

Replacements: Adam McBurney, Kyle McCall, Ross Kane, Kieran Treadwell, Nick Timoney, David Shanahan, Bill Johnston, Michael Lowry.

Disappointed, honestly. Five points should be possible, though.

Lyttle at fullback.

Ulster team to play Dragons, Guinness PRO14 Round 3, Sunday 25 October 2020, at Kingspan Stadium (kick-off 3pm, live on Premier Sports):

(15-9) Rob Lyttle, Matt Faddes, James Hume, Stewart Moore, Louis Ludik, Ian Madigan, John Cooney.

(1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, John Andrew, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor, Sam Carter (Capt.), Sean Reidy, Jordi Murphy, Marcell Coetzee.

Replacements: Adam McBurney, Kyle McCall, Ross Kane, Kieran Treadwell, Nick Timoney, David Shanahan, Bill Johnston, Michael Lowry.

Disappointed, honestly. Five points should be possible, though.

Also disappointed no youth getting an opportunity.

• Advertisement

Also disappointed no youth getting an opportunity.

I was about to post "completely agree"... But then Stewart Moore is on his third cap, I think. It is possible we're being... hypercritical?

This approach will be worth it if we come away with five points.

Let's see what Lyttle's like at FB. And please, if Carter doesn't stand out, as a multi-capped Ozzie international against the Dragons, can we please just start Treadwell in the future?

Advertisement