Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

I was about to post "completely agree"... But then Stewart Moore is on his third cap, I think. It is possible we're being... hypercritical?

This approach will be worth it if we come away with five points.

Let's see what Lyttle's like at FB. And please, if Carter doesn't stand out, as a multi-capped Ozzie international against the Dragons, can we please just start Treadwell in the future?

Stewart Moore definitely caters to the hypercritical argument! My issue is the forwards! We have a habit of giving academy backrow a game then not to be seen for months!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

launish116 wrote: »
    Stewart Moore definitely caters to the hypercritical argument! My issue is the forwards! We have a habit of giving academy backrow a game then not to be seems for months!

Yeah. I genuinely thought ReaJea would feature again. Looks like we're trying to get our experienced, if unflashy, second teir back up to speed - Shanahan, Kane, Timoney, McCall, Andrew. Most teams since August have been first-teamers and exciting kids. We don't want these guys - who we will have to rely on during the season - to be needed and not have had any game time.

Yeah. I genuinely thought ReaJea would feature again. Looks like we're trying to get our experienced, if unflashy, second teir back up to speed - Shanahan, Kane, Timoney, McCall, Andrew. Most teams since August have been first-teamers and exciting kids. We don't want these guys - who we will have to rely on during the season - to be needed and not have had any game time.

I’ve noticed this season the PR mid week is no longer matching the team. You coulda almost mortgaged the house last year on it.

Appreciate the need for regular time for squad players. Just feel you couldn’t get a better time to give some more exposure to our young forwards than dragons minus their internationals.

I’ve noticed this season the PR mid week is no longer matching the team. You coulda almost mortgaged the house last year on it.

Appreciate the need for regular time for squad players. Just feel you couldn’t get a better time to give some more exposure to our young forwards than dragons minus their internationals.

Would have been my take as well. Need to take Dan aside and have a word.

So. The hors d'oeuvres are done. Today the main event. Anything less than a good victory will be properly disappointing, given the team were putting out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

I'd be pretty dissapointed with that selection...

Not sure if selecting a guy like Reidy over Mcann is changing this result either way, yet the benefit you could potentially gain from the experience Mcann would get....

Also not sure why a guy like Andrew who will never be anything more than a journeyman is in the team ahead of arguably the best underage hooker I've seen in years in T.Stuart,

Leinster have proven the model of blooding youth, Ulster dont have the resources to chuck as many young guys in but they absolutely have guys that should be getting bench spots like Mcann, Allison and Stuart

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The centres and FB are very young. No harm in having an experienced pack out there. Sam Carter as captain though...

Not sure if selecting a guy like Reidy over Mcann is changing this result either way, yet the benefit you could potentially gain from the experience Mcann would get....

Also not sure why a guy like Andrew who will never be anything more than a journeyman is in the team ahead of arguably the best underage hooker I've seen in years in T.Stuart,

Leinster have proven the model of blooding youth, Ulster dont have the resources to chuck as many young guys in but they absolutely have guys that should be getting bench spots like Mcann, Allison and Stuart

Was genuinely disappointed as well! Really thought we’d see at least McCann/Rea/Allison get some minutes from the bench! Was quite surprised to see Gilroy miss out as well.

T.Stuart is injured I think?

Guess it’s head over heart, we have a lot of 3rd choice players lacking game time, which is a factor. I was probably more excited about seeing the academy talent showing what they can offer.

On another note also thinking with the on going Covid/financial climate, you’d think there would be a little more emphasis on building a home grown squad as money for NIQ players going forward is surely gonna be tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I get why people view the team selection as disappointing, but guys like Jordi Murphy need more game time. He's a quality operator who we need at his best. He won't get there twiddling his thumbs. I would have liked to have seen McCann or Allison on the bench though to replace Coetzee at No.8 if the opportunity arose.

Loads of games coming up though so I'm sure there will be plenty of chances for guys coming up. I get the impression that there is a plan in place, next weeks team is probably already picked!

Out wide Faddes is belatedly starting to show some decent form, so let's hope he can continue with that. I've always been a big fan of Louis Ludik's, but I'm not sure why he would start on the wing over Gilroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Don't disagree, but McCann, Moore and Marcus Rea have all had a shot in the first couple of games.

I believe Tom Stewart is injured, but agree he is quality. That said I think he still has another year with the 20s. He might even be in the running to captain then as well. The point being he has loads of time on his side.

• Advertisement

Was genuinely disappointed as well! Really thought we’d see at least McCann/Rea/Allison get some minutes from the bench! Was quite surprised to see Gilroy miss out as well.

T.Stuart is injured I think?

Guess it’s head over heart, we have a lot of 3rd choice players lacking game time, which is a factor. I was probably more excited about seeing the academy talent showing what they can offer.

On another note also thinking with the on going Covid/financial climate, you’d think there would be a little more emphasis on building a home grown squad as money for NIQ players going forward is surely gonna be tight.

Yeah, as I've said above I presume it's to stop us having to rely suddenly on players who haven't played since last March.

Dragons have improved - maybe the coaches don't want to underestimate them. Maybe they reckon Glasgow and Cardiff will be more weakened by international call-ups. (Even with the likes of Jones Glasgow last night did not look convincing.)

Maybe the likes of ReaJea and Allison will feature for the Academy 7s over that comp, and they have a reasoning for that? (We know Dan wants our forwards to be fast and comfortable with the ball.)

I think the thing that's got us all scratching our heads is that Dan is not a conservative coach. Already this season ReaJea and Moore have first starts, McCann's featured off the bench.

It could be that McF thinks this is the game where we can afford rust from Timoney, McCall, Kane, Shanahan etc. They can look like they haven't played in six or seven months and we can still win. Rather than have them come on and look poor against a rejuvenated Blues, and lose.

I'm not too worried about mirroring precisely how Leinster incorporate thei youngsters. It's apples and oranges and, frankly, I think Dan has done a great job bringing through youth. I saw on Planet Rugby some guy looking at the Leinster Vs Zebre team and proclaiming "when was the last time another province had four debutants in one team?" And someone else posted "last December. The Ulster team that played Leinster". So overall, I'm not worried about seeing how we stack up against Leinster. We're' doing well, where there is the talent there. This just feels like a bit if an odd one. Also, hopefully this is Sam Carter playing being afforded a last chance to impress.

Dragons have improved - maybe the coaches don't want to underestimate them. Maybe they reckon Glasgow and Cardiff will be more weakened by international call-ups. (Even with the likes of Jones Glasgow last night did not look convincing.)

I think the thing that's got us all scratching our heads is that Dan is not a conservative coach. Already this season ReaJea and Moore have first starts, McCann's featured off the bench.

It could be that McF thinks this is the game where we can afford rust from Timoney, McCall, Kane, Shanahan etc. They can look like they haven't played in six or seven months and we can still win. Rather than have them come on and look poor against a rejuvenated Blues, and lose.

I'm not too worried about mirroring precisely how Leinster incorporate thei youngsters. It's apples and oranges and, frankly, I think Dan has done a great job bringing through youth. I saw on Planet Rugby some guy looking at the Leinster Vs Zebre team and proclaiming "when was the last time another province had four debutants in one team?" And someone else posted "last December. The Ulster team that played Leinster". So overall, I'm not worried about seeing how we stack up against Leinster. We're' doing well, where there is the talent there. This just feels like a bit if an odd one. Also, hopefully this is Sam Carter playing being afforded a last chance to impress.

Guess we’ll never know the game plan/reasoning etc. It just seems unreal that Dan is happy to further blood Rea Jnr against a seasoned Ospreys though won’t even throw one academy backrow in from the bench against a Dragons side. Dragons have improved yes, though even with there internationals have hardly been convincing.

As for the Leinster v Ulster academy comparison wouldn’t waste my time debating. It your completely right apples & oranges. The only difference in 4 debutants for Ulster v Leinster being, Ulster dropped 4 debutants into fill gaps by resting squad players. Leinster drop 4 debutants into a strong side and everyone is well drilled and singing off same hymn sheet (something to be jealous about).

Really hope Sam Carter does come good! But he is running out of chances! Do feel for Treadwell!

Andrew, Reidy and Moore showing up well.

TBP on half hour

Andrew, Reidy and Moore showing up well.

Reidy really is under rated!

Might be confirmation bias, but Carter ha been the weakest Ulster player on the pitch.

Might be confirmation bias, but Carter ha been the weakest Ulster player on the pitch.

Sadly agree, really want him to come good! But just looks like he’s running through a training drill! In his line out work hasn’t been to bad!

Faddes hasn’t been going to bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Best I've seen Murphy play in a while.
    Dragons are awful. Score line could be humiliating

Best I've seen Murphy play in a while.
    Dragons are awful. Score line could be humiliating

The bench will be used early, Coetzee be off and will make a difference.

This is where it's a shame we can't have McCann or Allison off the bench, or even O'Connor Jr off the bench, even if it does mean the team momentum is lost slightly.

• Advertisement

In fairness, the lineout, mail and scrum have looked good, and Carter may have something to do with that.

Just as I say that...

This is where it's a shame we can't have McCann or Allison off the bench, or even O'Connor Jr off the bench, even if it does mean the team momentum is lost slightly.

Completely agree! Really is annoyingly, must be frustrating for them as well. Weeks between games with no domestic league either.

Another penalty from Carter. Get himnoff

Another penalty from Carter. Get himnoff

His tackling has been poor too.

But as you say, his set piece work has been top drawer pretty much.

Completely mental five minutes there

Ah Faddes you eejit.

Ah Faddes you eejit.

Bit harsh! He just can’t seem to get a break!

Bit harsh! He just can’t seem to get a break!

Ah no - I understand yer man's descending on him, but you have to keep the elbows down.

• Advertisement

Need to settle

Advertisement