Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

bayern wrote: »
    nowhere to watch it though.

Just noticed that, big shame one of the best games of rugby I’ve seen this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby/ulster-rugby/dan-mcfarland-toasts-bonus-in-ulsters-perfect-start-39666488.html

Billy Burns likely available for next week. That would make a difference. Think it was Trimble on the coverage last night said that Burn's kicking might have helped in the second half on Sunday.

Also - interesting titbit in another article that Lyttle asked if he could play at 15.

Still don't know how good he is - the Dragons didn't really test him overly - but I like that ambition.

Also - interesting titbit in another article that Lyttle asked if he could play at 15.

Still don't know how good he is - the Dragons didn't really test him overly - but I like that ambition.

Might be a case of adding a few strings to the bow? Show he can do more than wing.

Be a bit like Stockdale, 15 is there to lockdown and he would hopefully get a few more touches of the ball to show what he can offer!

When Addison/Baloucoune are back and fit, gonna be some serious selection dilemmas in the back line.

launish116 wrote: »
    Might be a case of adding a few strings to the bow? Show he can do more than wing.

Be a bit like Stockdale, 15 is there to lockdown and he would hopefully get a few more touches of the ball to show what he can offer!

When Addison/Baloucoune are back and fit, gonna be some serious selection dilemmas in the back line.

A bit of versatility goes a long way, especially if you want to be considered for the bench when Addison, Stockdale and Baloucoune are back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

A bit of versatility goes a long way, especially if you want to be considered for the bench when Addison, Stockdale and Baloucoune are back.
    He's played at fullback for us before I think, and he's always struck me as someone who could play there easily enough - he's got a surprisingly big boot, he's excellent in space but isn't afraid of contact, decent in the air, and can't be any worse at tackling than Stockdale. Shows some forward thinking in any case with Addison likely to be out for long periods, Stockdale being away with Ireland, and Ludik and Gilroy not setting the world alight. Baloucoune and Sexton strike me as a pure wingers, but Lyttle would be smart to put his hand up before McIlroy or Rankin are given the minutes that will be available at fullback.

UAFC making a good point on lineout, (appreciate dragons didn’t compete). Carter is maybe having more of an impact on set piece than we realise. If he could just up the open play.

Some very interesting stats on show, well worth a nosey! https://www.pro14.rugby/statistics

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

UAFC making a good point on lineout, (appreciate dragons didn’t compete). Carter is maybe having more of an impact on set piece than we realise. If he could just up the open play.

Some very interesting stats on show, well worth a nosey! https://www.pro14.rugby/statistics

If you have other players like Henderson or Treadwell strong in the loose then he doesn't need to be.

But he needs to stop giving away silly penalties.

Those stats make for very interesting reading.

Now, admittedly two of the three teams we've played have been the weaker Welsh teams (although Ospreys showed something against Glasgow). But even with that proviso, there's a lot there that's promising.

First for offloads is no surprise. Light, fast forwards + Dan McF's gameplan + Dan Soper = offload city.
    The lineout is a massive, pleasant surprise. I don't know if Sam Carter is at the heart of it's improvement. He wasn't in the squad against the Ospreys (where Treadwell stole at least two LOs himself), and was off for the last half an hour against Benetton. But it looks to be motoring. And our maul off a lineout is a potent weapon these days.
    Our restarts. We used to be woeful at receiving the ball. I thought I still saw a bit of that against Treviso, but generally it seems to be so much better.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,488 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Those stats make for very interesting reading.

Now, admittedly two of the three teams we've played have been the weaker Welsh teams (although Ospreys showed something against Glasgow). But even with that proviso, there's a lot there that's promising.

First for offloads is no surprise. Light, fast forwards + Dan McF's gameplan + Dan Soper = offload city.
    The lineout is a massive, pleasant surprise. I don't know if Sam Carter is at the heart of it's improvement. He wasn't in the squad against the Ospreys (where Treadwell stole at least two LOs himself), and was off for the last half an hour against Benetton. But it looks to be motoring. And our maul off a lineout is a potent weapon these days.
    Our restarts. We used to be woeful at receiving the ball. I thought I still saw a bit of that against Treviso, but generally it seems to be so much better.

another telling stat is 1 pen from 2 attempts... easily the lowest of the comp.

that says they have very high confidence in their lineout and maul work

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    another telling stat is 1 pen from 2 attempts... easily the lowest of the comp.

that says they have very high confidence in their lineout and maul work

Yeah I was quite taken aback by that one. Two attempts? Really?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,488 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah I was quite taken aback by that one. Two attempts? Really?

probably a reflection of how far ahead youve been from teams in the games so far. Once your typically 10 points ahead, the TBP becomes a realistic goal rather than worrying about building points through pens... especially when lineouts and mauls are going so well.

Would it be a case of most of our penalties are in first half and we’re trying to build a lead? We tend to fall off in second half.

Would it be a case of most of our penalties are in first half and we’re trying to build a lead? We tend to fall off in second half.

No - I think it's the mentality. See our final against Leinster as an example. Should have been building a lead, just kept going for the corner, paid the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Toulouse and Glaws.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Toulouse and Glaws.

Hard enough games.

It's difficult to know how many points are needed for the Q/Fs. We should be aiming for 12-14 points from those four games. But it will be very tough.

Callum Reid gone to Munster for 6 weeks as an emergency loan.

Could be a good move for all sides...but we better not lose him permanently!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ulster Rugby: A Great Bunch of Lads.

bilston wrote: »
    Callum Reid gone to Munster for 6 weeks as an emergency loan.

Could be a good move for all sides...but we better not lose him permanently!

Be nice to see him get some game time, risk free for us.

Losing him permanently be a big concern!

Be nice to see him get some game time, risk free for us.

Losing him permanently be a big concern!

I can't see it. He'll leapfrog McCall easily enough and could be back-up to EOS in a season or so with McGrath on the wane.

• Advertisement

I can't see it. He'll leapfrog McCall easily enough and could be back-up to EOS in a season or so with McGrath on the wane.

Needs game time and to show that for seniors yet though. Hopefully gets game time at Munster to at least highlight why he should be leapfrogging McCall

• Administrators Posts: 53,749 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It wouldn't be hard to leapfrog McCall. Doubt McCall will get another contract.

awec wrote: »
    It wouldn't be hard to leapfrog McCall. Doubt McCall will get another contract.

We keep hearing that, then why hasn’t he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Reid could easily be overrated, wouldn't be the first ulster prop

Reid could easily be overrated, wouldn't be the first ulster prop

Not sure what his province has to do with it. Young players from all provinces get touted as the next big thing all the time...Jack Kelly and Billy Dardis were meant to be superstars in the making...Kelly may yet make it, hope he does, but overeating young players isn't an affliction exclusive to Ulster!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Not sure what his province has to do with it. Young players from all provinces get touted as the next big thing all the time...Jack Kelly and Billy Dardis were meant to be superstars in the making...Kelly may yet make it, hope he does, but overeating young players isn't an affliction exclusive to Ulster!

who said it was?

He's 21 and a prop. He needs some time.

who said it was?

You were having a wee dig at Ulster and you know you were!!

You were having a wee dig at Ulster and you know you were!!

Who was the last over-rated Ulster prop?

• Advertisement

Who was the last over-rated Ulster prop?

Probably Jack McGrath.

Advertisement