Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Who was the last over-rated Ulster prop?

Homegrown? Probably Paddy Mac..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

bayern wrote: »
    Homegrown? Probably Paddy Mac..

So a guy that's now 31? That's quite a long time between over-ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

He's 21 and a prop. He needs some time.

Appreciate that, just don’t think peeps can say he will leap frog McCall when he hasn’t played a minute of senior rugby yet and his first minutes might be on loan.

In other news McCann & Johnson added to 7s squad for Saturday.

Ulster: Cormac Izuchukwu, Azur Allison, Ben Carson, Marcus Rea, Greg Jones, David McCann, Hayden Hyde, Conor Rankin, Bruce Houston, Lewis Finlay, Aaron Sexton, Bill Johnston.

Not looking like much youth getting game time this week either with seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Who was the last over-rated Ulster prop?

Bryan Young, who in fairness did play for Ireland a few times, Adam Macklin never quite made it either. But we're going back a fair while.

Don't think either Kyle McCall or Ross Kane were ever expected to superstars.

A lot is expected of Tom O'Toole, and he hasn't been found wanting yet. I'm told Callum Reid had O'Toole in his pocket at schools level, but I can't independently verify that claim!!

launish116 wrote: »
    Appreciate that, just don’t think peeps can say he will leap frog McCall when he hasn’t played a minute of senior rugby yet and his first minutes might be on loan.

In other news McCann & Johnson added to 7s squad for Saturday.

Ulster: Cormac Izuchukwu, Azur Allison, Ben Carson, Marcus Rea, Greg Jones, David McCann, Hayden Hyde, Conor Rankin, Bruce Houston, Lewis Finlay, Aaron Sexton, Bill Johnston.

Not looking like much youth getting game time this week either with seniors.

Pretty disappointing as we can now say that Rea, McCann and Allison will not be involved on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

So a guy that's now 31? That's quite a long time between over-ratings.

well who else have ulster produced that were good enough to be overhyped?

bilston wrote: »
    Pretty disappointing as we can now say that Rea, McCann and Allison will not be involved on Monday.

Indeed, had high hopes going forward we’d see more academy integration.

I dunno - you tell me. You're the over-rated Ulster props font of all knowledge.

Ah here folks - we're playing the top team in the other conference away from home. The Dragons at home was the time to give the youngsters a crack - the Blues away isn't.

Ah here folks - we're playing the top team in the other conference away from home. The Dragons at home was the time to give the youngsters a crack - the Blues away isn't.

Munster beat them on Monday with a young starting side. We’re not expecting radical team changes, even 20 mins off the bench for the odd academy player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Bryan Young, who in fairness did play for Ireland a few times, Adam Macklin never quite made it either. But we're going back a fair while.

Don't think either Kyle McCall or Ross Kane were ever expected to superstars.

A lot is expected of Tom O'Toole, and he hasn't been found wanting yet. I'm told Callum Reid had O'Toole in his pocket at schools level, but I can't independently verify that claim!!

Reid played in a much better team though, don't think there was that much between them but it was hard not to be excited about Reid. He then took a gap year whereas O'Toole has gone from strength to strength, and it's now hard not be excited about him!

Don't think anybody thought Kane would be a world beater but I expected a lot more than what he's shown. He has the occasional great game but he's inconsistent and injured a lot.

launish116 wrote: »
    Munster beat them on Monday with a young starting side. We’re not expecting radical team changes, even 20 mins off the bench for the odd academy player.

McCann's already had that. ReaJea started a game. It should have been factored into last game as well, I thought. But this is the best non-Irish side, apart from maybe Treviso, who have been unlucky in having us and Leinster in their first three games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Mccann really should be getting gametime for Ulster the same way Penny is for Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You've obviously never watched Ulster's homegrown props....in no way have any of them been overhyped. Why have we brought in so many front rows the last few years? I'll tell you why....because the majority of our local props haven't been particularly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You've obviously never watched Ulster's homegrown props....in no way have any of them been overhyped. Why have we brought in so many front rows the last few years? I'll tell you why....because the majority of our local props haven't been particularly good.

No 7s results yet. Presumably they're waiting for Leinster to win a game before they start tweeting.

No 7s results yet. Presumably they're waiting for Leinster to win a game before they start tweeting.

given its leinsters first day at the 7s its unlikely they will win any, might beat connacht

given its leinsters first day at the 7s its unlikely they will win any, might beat connacht

We'll never hear anything then. The Sevens Tournament That History Forgot.

We'll never hear anything then. The Sevens Tournament That History Forgot.

I think you’re reaching a bit mate

I think you’re reaching a bit mate

I stand by my biting satire

• Advertisement

Dread to think what the Ireland match thread is saying about Stockdale...poor performance from him no doubt...and I'd say he will be getting lynched on Boards...nothing like a poor performance by an Ulsterman to cover the cracks on a generally poor Irish performance!

I see Ruaridhi O'Connor has kindly set the ball rolling on Twitter as well.

Anyway...more importantly...I assume the Ulster team will be announced tomorrow.

Be interesting to see if McCloskey or Cooney are involved. Will Burns be back?

Dread to think what the Ireland match thread is saying about Stockdale...poor performance from him no doubt...and I'd say he will be getting lynched on Boards...nothing like a poor performance by an Ulsterman to cover the cracks on a generally poor Irish performance!

I see Ruaridhi O'Connor has kindly set the ball rolling on Twitter as well.

Anyway...more importantly...I assume the Ulster team will be announced tomorrow.

Be interesting to see if McCloskey or Cooney are involved. Will Burns be back?

Yeah. I thought he made some obvious blunders but also showed why he's worth persisting with..

I thought if Hendo had called those lineouts, folk would have been calling for his head. Three times at least we were turned over going through the phases off lineouts. One lineout maul was eviscerated, one lineout Ryan caught and spiked straight into the ground. Sexton started the ball rolling for the first French try by shooting and not nailing his tackle. He and Byrne missed at least one kick to touch each. Doris and O'Connor were AWOL (thought Beirne had his best game yet at international level, and Stander was fantastic.) But I've no doubt we lost because of Stockdale.

One of these days Stockdale isn't going to get selected, and I wonder who they're going to blame then. The old truism "forwards win games" doesn't seem to occur to anyone when our pack is getting minced but Stockdale's on hand to take the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Didn’t catch the match - is the stockdale criticism coming from his defence? I’ve been a big advocate of his positives outweighing his negatives, but even I’m finding it difficult to defend him. No improvement in that area whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Stockdale has all the physical attributes but to me he always looks a little frightened and indecisive when defending.

Attacking he is generally fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Can players turn down requests to join the Ireland squad? I honestly believe Cooney and Stu should refuse. It's quite clear at this point they will never get another cap unless there is a total injury crisis. We lose them for a few weeks and they miss important Ulster games. They have played their best ever rugby in the past 18months but still don't get selected.

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Can players turn down requests to join the Ireland squad? I honestly believe Cooney and Stu should refuse. It's quite clear at this point they will never get another cap unless there is a total injury crisis. We lose them for a few weeks and they miss important Ulster games. They have played their best ever rugby in the past 18months but still don't get selected.

Not how Irish rugby works.

McCloskey is very unlucky, but the fact he only plays 12 is probably the biggest reason he hasn't had more caps rather than anything to do with his ability. He is never likely to make the bench, which means its harder for him to show how useful he can be in 20 minute cameos.

For example Farrell was quite effective last night when he came on and was able to showcase that. I don't think Farrell is better than McCloskey...there is nothing between them...but the fact Farrell can play 12 or 13 gives him a big advantage over McCloskey.

The only frustration I have with Farrell is that he plays for Munster and not Ulster!

Cooney was punished for 2 or 3 indifferent performances in a way that other players wouldn't be. But that in itself shows where he sits in the mind of Andy Farrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Stockdale has all the physical attributes but to me he always looks a little frightened and indecisive when defending.

Attacking he is generally fine.
    He's now 24 and still no great progress on defence. He's starting to look like a very good club player but is being found out far too regularly now at international level. His attacking flair puts him in line for a cap every time but how many defensive nights like last night will Farrell put up with?

Academy 7s results:

W 15-10 v Leinster
    W 26-10 v Munster
    L 27-19 v Ireland
    W 19-17 v Connacht

Team at 12ish? Presumably full strength, maybe with Burns back?

Would like EOS to start again - he's better than McGrath. Lyttle has earned another go at 15.

• Advertisement

Ulster team to play Cardiff Blues, Guinness PRO14 Round 4, Monday 2 November 2020, at Rodney Parade (kick-off 6pm, live on Premier Sports):

(15-9) Michael Lowry, Craig Gilroy, Stewart Moore, Stuart McCloskey, Louis Ludik, Billy Burns (Capt.), John Cooney;

(1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, Adam McBurney, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor, Kieran Treadwell, Matty Rea, Jordi Murphy, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: John Andrew, Jack McGrath, Ross Kane, Sam Carter, Sean Reidy, Alby Mathewson, Luke Marshall, Ethan McIlroy.

Advertisement