Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U-turns

Options
  • 28-04-2019 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

What's the law on U-turns when driving? Apparently the Rules of the Road say it's ok if you do it carefully.

I notice more and more drivers hanging a Uey on big main roads, without a notion that there might be someone on a bicycle in their way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It's definitely an issue when passing stalled traffic on the high side on a bike, that someone will get impatient and swing out into the "empty" lane to do a u-turn, without checking behind.

I think it's legal except where it's specifically prohibited with a sign something like this:
    No_U-Turns.gif

But the usual rules about careful driving still apply, so you can't just throw your car around and expect nobody to be in your way on a bike or walking. Mind you, when it it goes to court, the "but for the grace of God" mindset would probably absolve the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

When I learned to drive, back in the antediluvian, it was illegal to do a U-turn on any street; you were supposed to do the safer 3-point turn.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Rechuchote wrote: »
    When I learned to drive, back in the antediluvian, it was illegal to do a U-turn on any street; you were supposed to do the safer 3-point turn.

Don't know how a 3 point turn could be considered automatically safer. In some circumstances yes, but that's where you need to make extra manoeuvers to turn in the space available. If the lane(s) you are turning into(/across) is clear and wide enough and there is no unbroken white line I really cannot see an issue with doing it as a U-turn

Just to add the mere fact there is a no U-turn sign suggests it is generally allowable where the sign is not displayed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do i recall reading now that '3 point turns' are now referred to as 'multi point turns' because 3 turns is sometimes not possible/ideal?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Apart from signs indicating you can't do one, I think the rule about driving over a solid white line may also apply.

• Advertisement

do i recall reading now that '3 point turns' are now referred to as 'multi point turns' because 3 turns is sometimes not possible/ideal?

When I took lessons before getting a license about 5 years ago (kids arriving meant I finally had to drive) the instructor still called it a 3 point turn but did tell me that meant nothing as I was allowed as many as it takes in the test so long as I didn't hit the kerb and it could be impossible to only do 3 in a lot of situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

A lot of roads are now 5 instead of the old 6 meter widths hence the change.
    Mostly in estates though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

moonshadow wrote: »
    A lot of roads are now 5 instead of the old 6 meter widths hence the change.
    Mostly in estates though.
    The popularity of front wheel drive cars over the past 30 years has also made a difference. Rear wheel drive cars generally have a much better 'lock' and therefore tighter turning circle

In driving test, it was always officially called the 'turnabout' even though most people referred to it as the '3 point turn'. Similarly, many people refer to 'reversing around a corner' on a test even though it is officially called a 'reversing manoeuvre'.

"Turning the car in the road, using forward and reverse gears, to face the opposite direction."

How can I remember that from thirty years ago, yet I forget my wife's name :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

The legalities of doing a u turn, As with the legalities of just about everything else on Irish roads are pretty irrelevant.

People will do them anyway because "I can" and it's all about "ME". Plus the chances of having to face consequences for their selfish action is virtually non existent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement