Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PME Lesson Planning

Options
  • 28-04-2019 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I know it's a difficult question to answer and it probably varies from lesson to lesson, but roughly how long should a Primary PME student be spending on writing each of their lesson plans during teaching practice?

I am currently in the middle of placement and am concerned at how long it is taking me to actually write lesson plans never mind putting resources together. I am finding myself up half the night by the time I finish writing the lesson plans and putting resources together (not ideal when you have to go in and teach a bunch of energetic 8 year olds the next day!)

Maybe some recent PME grads could give me some feedback on this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

When I was on placement in college (Mary I) I used to be up late most nights doing lesson plans and making resources as well. Most people in the year were in the same boat. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you're not up so late that it affects your ability to teach the next day you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Farney19 wrote: »
    I know it's a difficult question to answer and it probably varies from lesson to lesson, but roughly how long should a Primary PME student be spending on writing each of their lesson plans during teaching practice?

I am currently in the middle of placement and am concerned at how long it is taking me to actually write lesson plans never mind putting resources together. I am finding myself up half the night by the time I finish writing the lesson plans and putting resources together (not ideal when you have to go in and teach a bunch of energetic 8 year olds the next day!)

Maybe some recent PME grads could give me some feedback on this?

Thanks

I am in the same boat as yourself at the minute on teaching practice and it is taking me forever to do the lesson plans/think of ideas. I would say every evening I am doing them from around 4pm-10pm (and that is for only 3 lessons!). I feel I must be doing something wrong because surely if it was taking every teacher that long nobody would want to become a teacher!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I am in the same boat as yourself at the minute on teaching practice and it is taking me forever to do the lesson plans/think of ideas. I would say every evening I am doing them from around 4pm-10pm (and that is for only 3 lessons!). I feel I must be doing something wrong because surely if it was taking every teacher that long nobody would want to become a teacher!

I think you are over thinking. When I did my dip, this is the method I used (if it's any use to you, I still use this method today).

Topic
    Previous learning/prior knowledge
    If new topic - ask students what they knew about x
    Teach lesson
    Any active learning activities (not needed in every lesson but would be a good idea for your inspector)
    Think, pair share
    Homework

Don't spend so long on your lesson plans... no one reads them and I have never looked at mine since my dip.

Now just to note, I'm post primary but you mentioned periods so I'm assuming you are aswell. It may be different for primary.

Best of luck with your dip.

Advertisement