Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant connect to vm wifree

Options
  • 28-04-2019 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Im trying to connect to vm wifree but its not working. It seems to just hang on connecting. Im not sure what im missing and i cant actually find any instructions on the vm website other than generic text telling me how easy it is.

Ive put my vm username into the identity box.
    Ive put my wifree pw into the pw box.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You know that you can't use that login on your own box? It's for guest use only so the subscriber's userid and passpword will not be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kingcrisps1234

coylemj wrote: »
    You know that you can't use that login on your own box? It's for guest use only so the subscriber's userid and passpword will not be accepted.

Thanks. I am trying on a friends box

Thanks. I am trying on a friends box

If you're in a friend's house, just ask him for the general password. Connecting using Horizon Wi-Free gets you a lower connection speed.

The issue I find with this facility is that if you're parked outside the house of a complete stranger who is a VM customer and you want to connect to his wi-fi, the signal is usually too weak - in a lot of cases, the local 4G signal is better. And if you're a guest inside the house, you might as well ask your host for the password.

coylemj wrote: »
    If you're in a friend's house, just ask him for the general password. Connecting using Horizon Wi-Free gets you a lower connection speed.

The issue I find with this facility is that if you're parked outside the house of a complete stranger who is a VM customer and you want to connect to his wi-fi, the signal is usually too weak - in a lot of cases, the local 4G signal is better. And if you're a guest inside the house, you might as well ask your host for the password.

Appreciate your replies. Its bothering me that i cant get it to even connect though.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

Are you registered for Wi-free? You can check on your Virginmedia.ie profile page.

• Advertisement

markest wrote: »
    Are you registered for Wi-free? You can check on your Virginmedia.ie profile page.

Fair point.

OP, do you have this feature activated on your VM account? It's not on by default. Just in case the 'Horizon Wi-Free' SSID you can see is your neighbour's box and the signal is too weak to get a decent connection.

i have it enabled on my vm account and even tried to change the password to "refresh" it

i have it enabled on my vm account and even tried to change the password to "refresh" it

Been there, done that, got nowhere. Life is too short, use the 3G/4G network.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What device/OS?

10.png

Responses from UPC in PL (Virgin Media) back up my hunch, their RADIUS server (the "password" server) is expecting MSCHAPv2. Set it in that dropdown. On android theres a similar option, iOS probably too.

Advertisement