Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAR Scheme - Prospective licensee works 30-40 Hrs & gets govt top ups (more rights?)

Options
  • 28-04-2019 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Interviewing people for RAR rent a room scheme, Im owner occupier

One person seems very good to chat to but Ive a concern.

She doesnt have a full tine contract, working 30 - 40 hours per week. The employer may be availing of cheaper tax this way.

She says the govt tops up if the hours drop below a certain amt or hours / pay level. She said I need to conf with a letter that she is living here, and a utility bill.

Im declaring income here to the revenue, so it a legit rental.

I dont know the name of this payment is, but does it confer additional rights to the licencee and perhaps pave the way to HAP if she becomes unemployed?

She seems like a nice person, but Ive to think of my family if she turns rogue at any stage in the future and I find out she has to be given months notice and is treated more like a tenant than a licencee.

I realise I cant discriminate on HAP, but its my home and she is not the only contender here and I need to weigh all angles up.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Sounds like unemployment benefit, if she doesn't work a day, she gets unemployment for it.

As a licensee, the only rights/ obligations will come by way of contract, so just read anything you sign carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Accepting HAP for rent a room doesn't extend the renter's rights in itself.

They may be on a casual docket or similar which provides fill in payments for those who are only able to find casual / part time work

Advertisement