Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time limit to make claim?

Options
  • 28-04-2019 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone clarify a situation I haven't come across before.

My fiance contacted me a few days ago from her workplace to tell me an unoccupied car had rolled down the carpark and went head on with her car causing visible damage to the front bumper, luckily no one was walking between the cars at the time!!

Anyway, the fiance recognized the car as belonging to one of her work colleagues. She found her, explained the situation and the other party was apologetic and offered to pay from her own pocket.

So the car is booked in tomorrow at my local mechanic to asses the car properly, he'll then provide an estimate that we would forward to the fiance's work colleague. But one thing we did notice.. there are only a few days left on the work colleagues insurance disk.

So I'm wondering if the work colleague stalls for a few days then refuses to cover the repair bill are we left unable to claim if we didn't submit the claim until after the expiry date?

Questions welcome if things need clarified

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

The car rolled into your partners car right? Were both cars empty?

If both cars were empty (your partners car parked up & the other car rolling into it) then it's a fault with the car that rolled so I wouldn't be offering to pay a cent to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

If both cars were empty (your partners car parked up & the other car rolling into it) then it's a fault with the car that rolled so I wouldn't be offering to pay a cent to be honest.

Well obviously.

Op the incident happened at a certain date you have two years to claim from that date.

Let the other party pay, if they don’t then report them. Is there any camera footage you can get to make yourselves more confident.

Local mechanic sounds like you are doing the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Yes, both cars were empty & locked as both drivers where in work. But my partners work colleague had just arrived in a few minutes before the incident happened. So it looks like she got out without applying handbrake and headed straight into work! We have loads of photos inc some showing her car still locked & unmoved but with handbrake down and out of gear.

So to be clear, its the owner of the car that rolled into ours that apologized & admitted fault when she realized what had happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Well obviously.

Op the incident happened at a certain date you have two years to claim from that date.

Let the other party pay, if they don’t then report them. Is there any camera footage you can get to make yourselves more confident.

Local mechanic sounds like you are doing the right thing.

Ok cheers, so the fact that their insurance policy runs out in a few days has no bearing on our ability to put in a claim against them! That's pretty much what I needed to know, thanks for that.

We do have loads of photos, but no cctv. Will try to do this through local mechanic and hope all goes smoothly regarding them picking up the tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You have 6 years, believe it or not, to make a claim against a 3rd party for damage to property. It is 2 years for injury

• Advertisement
Advertisement