Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding cards being lost and tapped by non card holders.

Options
  • 28-04-2019 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi BOI
    Just wondering if debit card, tapping service can be removed from direct debit card. Worrird if card was lost or stolen would someone be able to use it without my knowledge.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hi BOI
    Just wondering if debit card, tapping service can be removed from direct debit card. Worrird if card was lost or stolen would someone be able to use it without my knowledge.

You contact the bank straight away to get it locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭edunne2010

also invest in a RFID wallet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

The thief will only get away with tapping a minimum number of times, before being forced to enter a pin. They can't do unlimited tapping. And don't worry. If you report the card stolen, you'll get the tapped amounts refunded too. Remember this is riskier for the bank than the customer

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SandyMac1234

Thanks for replys. In a conversion with shop owner told you can tap up to three times a day. Could really add up if you didn't notice. But didn't know it could be refunded by bank due to fraudulent use.

Btw I haven't lost card or this hasn't happened to me, just wondered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi SandyMac1234,

Thanks for your post.

As correctly mentioned, if the card is lost you just need to call us on Freephone 1800946764 and we'll cancel the card. This will mean you're not liable for any fraudulent use after that.

Thanks
    Tara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 SandyMac1234

Hi Tara, thanks for reply.

It's the "After That" that is my concern. I would not look at my account every week therefore would not see fraudulent use.

How many taps could be done per day, and are you ever asked for pin, I've never been asked.

Original Question 'Can this service be removed from card?"

Sandy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Tara, thanks for reply.

It's the "After That" that is my concern. I would not look at my account every week therefore would not see fraudulent use.

How many taps could be done per day, and are you ever asked for pin, I've never been asked.

Original Question 'Can this service be removed from card?"

Sandy.

We'd always recommend that a customer calls us as soon as possible if their card goes missing. From time to time you are required to enter the card pin to reset the contactless function, this can vary and is not related to how many times you use the function. You can request a card without this feature by calling 0818365365 or through Ask a Question in the 365 Service Desk.

Thanks
    Tara

Advertisement