Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling clothes that don't look like cycling clothes

Options
  • 28-04-2019 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi.
    I've got some of the typical gear but want to find cycling clothing that isn't lycra; something that I could in theory, go straight into the office in (getting the bike converted to an ebike to help with the sweat).

My saddle is a killer!! So should I wear cycling shorts/underwear under normal clothes?

What do others do. I'm clueless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

on the saddle cannot recommend a brooks saddle enough. its changed my cycling to work! no more sore arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

I have a few pairs of Endura Hummvees with the inner lining. Look like normal cargo shorts.
    It does depend of course on what work is as to if you'd wear them for the day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭aldark

Hmm, I'm probably out on my own here, but if your commute is a reasonable distance, why do you need specific cycle clothes? as long as your normal clothes have enough mobility just wear them. If you need to wear formal stuff in work, wear tracksuit bottoms and change in work?

If your saddle is uncomfortable, I don't think clothes will fix it - have a think about your position on the bike - what would make it easier - saddle forward, saddle back, bars forward, bars back etc. If you havn't cycled in a while, then it might take a bit of time to build up the muscles that support your position on the bike.

Mind you, having said that, I've gone through a good few saddles trying to find a good one - but apart from the ones that actually did me an injury, I reckon that each would be as comfortable as the other!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Seanieke wrote: »
    I have a few pairs of Endura Hummvees with the inner lining. Look like normal cargo shorts.
    It does depend of course on what work is as to if you'd wear them for the day though.

Keep an eye on Aldi - they usually have similar casual style shorts with a removable inner padding.

I've used the inner padding a few times under casual combat trousers if I'm doing a casual cycle on a greenway or something along those lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

You can spend a fortune on casual cycling clothes...

The Rapha City store:
    https://www.rapha.cc/nl/en/collections/city/category/cityriding

This is another great website too:
    https://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/cycling-clothing/mens/casual.html

Loads of brands like Chrome, Muxu, PedalEd, Swrve, Resolute, etc... would have some nice "urban" cycling gear... Google is your friend!
    Remember though that to finish the look you will also need to grow a beard and wear skinny jeans :)

Alternatively, you can buy a saddle pack, stick in a change of clothes and spend the money on a good saddle, maybe after a sizing with a good biomechanic.

Happy selling

Advertisement