Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Add extension, create new dwelling - Limerick

• 28-04-2019 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Friend has a semi d in Limerick City. She has a garage built at the side, she wants to knock this and put a 2 storey extension to her house.

It's a corner site so space is comfortable.

She's thinking of living in the extension and letting the main house. I think she won't be able to create a new dwelling, doubt she'd be given planning permission.

Anybody have any experience of this, and what might she do to maybe get planning?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Friend has a semi d in Limerick City. She has a garage built at the side, she wants to knock this and put a 2 storey extension to her house.

It's a corner site so space is comfortable.

She's thinking of living in the extension and letting the main house. I think she won't be able to create a new dwelling, doubt she'd be given planning permission.

Anybody have any experience of this, and what might she do to maybe get planning?

Go for pre-planning.
    Most likely be refused based on the info you have supplied due to over development of the site.

She may be able to get a granny flat but this can never be separated from the main dwelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Fatman Scoop

kceire wrote: »
    Go for pre-planning.
    Most likely be refused based on the info you have supplied due to over development of the site.

She may be able to get a granny flat but this can never be separated from the main dwelling.

When you separated from the main dwelling, do you mean physically apart, or do you mean that it must contain - say - internal doors or corridor between old and new?

When you separated from the main dwelling, do you mean physically apart, or do you mean that it must contain - say - internal doors or corridor between old and new?

It cannot be physically separate.
    It has to be built a an extension with internal doors connecting the 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A better plan might be to live in a connected part of the house with own utilities and then get in licencees under rent-a-room.

14k tax free and almost all of the normal landlord risks gone.

But would still take a few years to pay back given costs of construction.

kceire wrote: »
    It cannot be physically separate.
    It has to be built a an extension with internal doors connecting the 2.

The first part wouldn't be an issue. The second is what I expected to hear.

I don't know how open she might be to this internal door, it might put a halt to the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

essentially she is creating 2 dwellings if she does that.

so unless all the requirements for a one bed unit are available to fit on the site, then its unlikely that permisison would be granted.

Where would I find all the requirements for a 1 bed unit?
    It may be feasible to satisfy these.

sydthebeat wrote: »

Thanks Syd.

Would the development be considered an apartment in this instance? Presumably yes if that's what you are linking to.

Thanks.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thanks Syd.

Would the development be considered an apartment in this instance? Presumably yes if that's what you are linking to.

Thanks.

much the same requirements ie car parking, open space, room sizes, over all sizes etc

more here:
    http://www.ciarrai.ie/en/allservices/planning/planningguides/guidelinesforplanningauthorities/thefile,411,en.pdf

• Advertisement

Where would I find all the requirements for a 1 bed unit?
    It may be feasible to satisfy these.

Get your councils development plan and search for infill development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,951 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm not a planning expert or familiar with Limerick's development plan.

I do however live there and I know on the northside of the city in particular fairly well.
    There are a number of Semi-D on corner sites that have built second houses within their curtilage, and I know of one very recent example where the garden was split into 2 folios and a new house built.

Within 1km of thomond park, I can think of at least 5 examples of this, whilst it may be against the development plan as it stands would existing precedent allow an opportunity to do similar?

banie01 wrote: »
    I'm not a planning expert or familiar with Limerick's development plan.

I do however live there and I know on the northside of the city in particular fairly well.
    There are a number of Semi-D on corner sites that have built second houses within their curtilage, and I know of one very recent example where the garden was split into 2 folios and a new house built.

Within 1km of thomond park, I can think of at least 5 examples of this, whilst it may be against the development plan as it stands would existing precedent allow an opportunity to do similar?

That's exactly what I posted just above you.
    Its called infill development.

If the OP can meet those requirements, then Planning has a chance.

Advertisement