Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel Sheds (Composite panel insulation or DIY job with Kingspan boards)

Options
  • 28-04-2019 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi There,

Cant make a decision!

Ordering a steel workshop 25m2 to work from home full-time, and torn between going for the pre-assembled 40mm Composite insulation wall and roof panels most company's now offer,... or going for an uninsulated building and fitting it out with sheets of kingspan myself with ply over.

There can be up to 25% savings going with option B, and perhaps its more flexible in terms of choice of insulation thicknesses available, But will it produce the same results? or cause problems?

Advice on this much appreciated! Thinking of a 50/50 option too, ordering a building with a composite roof but self insulate the walls.

Also any thoughts on this will be extremely helpful,.... Do the double skin clearlight panels, provided with most 40mm Composite steel shed roofs compromise the insulation of the building?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Mrfool35 wrote: »
    Hi There,

Cant make a decision!

Ordering a steel workshop 25m2 to work from home full-time, and torn between going for the pre-assembled 40mm Composite insulation wall and roof panels most company's now offer,... or going for an uninsulated building and fitting it out with sheets of kingspan myself with ply over.

There can be up to 25% savings going with option B, and perhaps its more flexible in terms of choice of insulation thicknesses available, But will it produce the same results? or cause problems?

Advice on this much appreciated! Thinking of a 50/50 option too, ordering a building with a composite roof but self insulate the walls.

Also any thoughts on this will be extremely helpful,.... Do the double skin clearlight panels, provided with most 40mm Composite steel shed roofs compromise the insulation of the building?

Thanks in advance.

Does the savings of 25% account for additional labour costs?

It doesn't sound like a big saving unless it includes fairly strong plywood.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mrfool35

Does the savings of 25% account for additional labour costs?

It doesn't sound like a big saving unless it includes fairly strong plywood.

Sorry i should of been more clear, by 25% I mean just the difference between ordering composite insulated panel building or non insulated building. varies from company to company. Probably closer to 15% savings factoring in the cost of the insulation boards, and timber panels and installing those myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Mrfool35 wrote: »
    Sorry i should of been more clear, by 25% I mean just the difference between ordering composite insulated panel building or non insulated building. varies from company to company. Probably closer to 15% savings factoring in the cost of the insulation boards, and timber panels and installing those myself.

those pre fabbed ones always go into the corrugation of the steel, are fully suited, sealed for gaps and thermal bridges , they actually do a much better job than just slapping up a few sheets of insulation. Well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Links? thinking of something similar...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mrfool35

AmberGold wrote: »
    Links? thinking of something similar...

For example a quick comparison

At adman sheds, acording to website; https://www.admansteelsheds.ie/

Plan A

You can get 6x4m thermastor range, 40mm composit insulation panel building for €6250. Job done!

Or alternatively

The Same size non insulated building in their durastore range costs. €3750
    +
    And for the DIY bit, A quick quote on Brooke’s building supplies says for 30 boards of 40mmkingspan (which should kit out all the walls and ceiling, + 30 - 18mm MFD panels to timer it off would be a total of€ 1400.

So total for plan B The DIY bits and building is €5150. That was just a quick search on brooks for insulation materials so maybe cheaper stuff if u shop around a bit bring the price down further.

And it’s a difference of €1150! Between the two choices, That would me sooo nice for me. But , still wondering though could this process provide similar results to the compost panel in terms of insulation and comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I looked at doing this when I got my shed 4 years ago. I decided against the uninsulated option as there is a risk of condensation if adequate controls aren't in place to control moisture build up in the construction. As it happened I went for a fully insulated shed (60mm kingspan panel) but I also ply lined the interior afterwards (for a home workshop). Don't underestimate the cost of materials or the labour involved. Timber and other materials cost alone for my 22m2 shed (1/2" pine shuttering ply, rough sawn battens, panel adhesive, screws and fixings etc) came to close to €1000 if I recall. It took many hours of labour to line the walls out, boxing around windows, doors etc. Based on the labour alone I wouldn't go down this route if you think you're going to save money- any money saved will be hard won by your own labour! At least with the insulated panel option you are guaranteed a sealed, weathertight building envelope which you can use straight away without fear of condensation. As for the clearlights- I hand some initial problems with very minor condensation (under certain conditions). If you will be using the space a lot you will need background heating coupled with good ventilation (as you would in any building).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Sorry to drag up an old thread, how did you attach the battens to the steel?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Bogwoppit wrote: »

They are attached to the steel frame so use self tappers
    https://www.screwfix.ie/c/screws-nails-fixings/self-tapping-drilling-screws/cat840058
    While in theory they don't need any pre-drilling, for the bigger ones I aways do drill a pilot hole

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Bogwoppit wrote: »

It's old alright! I ply lined the shed back in the summer of 2015. I used a mix of panel adhesive and the minimum number of Tek screws I could get away with, typically 3 screws per batten/ bay length. My reasoning behind this was to reduce the number of holes in the galvanised cladding rails- holes and damage to the factory galvanised finish is where rust starts. Panel adhesive is doing most of the work, mechanical fixings are there to clamp the wood until the adhesive cures. I did also clamp the battens in place while I waited for the adhesive to go off- using clamps and offcuts of batten wedged into place. Slow, steady work but the result was a good one in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Thanks for the replies guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

for a steeltech shed, the standard is 40 mm composite panels in the wall and roof. I see you can also get 60mm, 80mm, 90mm, 120mm and 150mm thickness if you wish. Short of the obvious answer (more insulation!) how much insulation does one need for a garden room.

Home office, pool table, tv and couch maybe for a chill out area for kids etc. Also, what sort of floor insulation should I go for? I'm going to get a professional to do the concrete base, but unsure (despite googling) how much insulation for walls / roof / floor one should go for.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement