Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reputable sites for booking flights/how to book flights?

• 28-04-2019 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi,

I'd like to book some tickets for a flight. I'd like to know some reputable sites to book the plane tickets, or even better if somebody with experience could explain to me how you do it that would be great. I just have absolutely zero experience with anything like this, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll be going to Turkey, probably for between 2 to 5 days. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Use the airline directly to book flights, you can search for flights on a site like sky scanner to see the multiple options available.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Use the airline directly to book flights, you can search for flights on a site like sky scanner to see the multiple options available.

What he said- research using skyscanner but book direct with the airline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I use google flights search to find the best routes and prices and just book them direct on the airline’s website.

Google flights is a much better way of finding flights than Skyscanner or kayak or any of those type search sites (I take 80/100 flights a year).

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Disposable1

This is all great stuff, thanks very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    I use google flights search to find the best routes and prices and just book them direct on the airline’s website.

Google flights is a much better way of finding flights than Skyscanner or kayak or any of those type search sites (I take 80/100 flights a year).

Agreed, I find Google Flights the best for searching hands down, pretty sure they don't link to dodgy third party travel agents either like Skyscanner.

As others have said booking direct with the airline is your best bet. If you're looking for a sun holiday TUI is also worth a look. They only sell flights as part of a package so I don't think they will come up on searches through the likes of Google Flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

The consensus seems to be to book directly with the airline. Out of curiosity, why? Have people had bad experiences with third parties? Are third parties unable to guarantee they can sort you out if something goes wrong?

I fly to South America every other year. I always opt for the cheapest option or the option with the least amount of changes. Most of the time, this means booking via third party. Never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

fxotoole wrote: »
    The consensus seems to be to book directly with the airline. Out of curiosity, why? Have people had bad experiences with third parties? Are third parties unable to guarantee they can sort you out if something goes wrong?

I fly to South America every other year. I always opt for the cheapest option or the option with the least amount of changes. Most of the time, this means booking via third party. Never had any problems.

The reason I book directly are:

- the price is often lower
    - better control of check in and options like seat selection, priority, etc
    - if you travel the same airlines or alliance, you can gain loyalty points/air miles
    - I am a solo traveller and when you have booked directly and joined their loyalty program, I have had quite a few upgrades offered to me at check in (even when I just joined). I have travelled business class and/or received lounge access a number of times
    - you will receive better updates in case of delays and such

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

bigar wrote: »
    The reason I book directly are:

- the price is often lower
    - better control of check in and options like seat selection, priority, etc
    - if you travel the same airlines or alliance, you can gain loyalty points/air miles
    - I am a solo traveller and when you have booked directly and joined their loyalty program, I have had quite a few upgrades offered to me at check in (even when I just joined). I have travelled business class and/or received lounge access a number of times
    - you will receive better updates in case of delays and such

1. Often lower / often dearer
    2. Depends on airline, generally I find the only drawback is making changes. But the travel agents do this without hassle.
    3. You get points the same points regardless who you book through
    4. I often get upgrades as solo traveller, most my flights are booked through the companies travel agent.
    5. You receive the sane updates. When you check in online or manage your booking just add your contact details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If you book with a third party and there's a problem there is often a lot of to and fro to work out who's actually responsible for looking after you. After one particularly stressful incident I switched to only booking flights with airlines but use itasoftware to work out routings and prices. I use third party sites mostly for hotels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Similar here, if there’s an issue then it’s much easier to fix if you’ve booked a flight direct.

With hotels I search online for what I want then ring the hotel, they’ll match or improve an internet price most of the time and as with the flights, if there’s an issue it’s much easier to sort if you booked direct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Disposable1

This is great thanks. I didn’t even know google flights existed

Advertisement