Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your fantasy cycling road

Options
  • 28-04-2019 9:59pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭

and i'm not talking about boring infrastructure for commuters.

you've just won the euromillions. where have you been/what have you seen that you've thought 'what that place needs is a decent road/cycle track for me to be able to experience it/banjax myself on'?

i've only been there a couple of times (on foot) but fraughan rock glen is crying out for a pass. it'd be insane to build one there, but that's kinda the point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

They're trying hard to get funding but the old trainline from I think Killarney that used to run to Caherciveen along the coast. That would be lovely to have as a dedicated cycle route.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I think I'd pay for fresh tarmac from the Viewing Point to Laragh every year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd like to redo the roads up to Mt. Leinster and Kippure and have them so they are longer, but with more turns/switchbacks. Going up them and similar roads doesn't bother me (in theory at least). Descending them however, puts me off. A more gradual climb and descent would be my preference.

It's what I liked about Girona. The climbs were similar in ascent to some around Wicklow, albeit there were more of them, but they were not just straight up like the are here in many places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

There is circa 80k km of non national & regional road in the country.

We have enough roads(more than probably anywhere else) and not near enough curiosity to find the best of them

https://www.thejournal.ie/national-road-network-pq-1784448-Nov2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Bollards at laragh, blessington, viewing point,glencree etc to block sunny day sunday afternoon drivers, balance to install a buttery smooth tarmac surface

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

I haven't cycled in year's but thinking of the bike to work scheme.

Living in the Burren there's amazing green roads and tracks formed by the herds of goats.

Ill definitely give it a go

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There is circa 80k km of non national & regional road in the country.

We have enough roads(more than probably anywhere else) and not near enough curiosity to find the best of them

https://www.thejournal.ie/national-road-network-pq-1784448-Nov2014/
    don't drag this back to cold hard reality! this is about what you'd do, money not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭patmahe

A couple of loops in the alps, one where its all at one altitude and you can just go for the loop admiring the views, oh and while we're talking fantasy, I'd somehow have ground level - levels of oxygen too.

I'd also have an optional uphill loop and a downhill loop and a ski/bike lift to get me around.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

id be happy if they could just put a decent surface from Offington to past Howth Golf Club at the start of the climb up to Howth Summit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sweeping slightly downhill bends (where you bearely need to brake) with a french road surface

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

my fantasy road would be all downhill!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Phase 1: I'd buy *all the roads*. And then ban all motorised vehicles from them. I'd make it just like those fantasy empty roads in car ads, but replace the solitary car with my solitary bike (might allow other cyclists on them, I haven't decided yet, I may have to operate a nice/naughty list). It'd be nice being the one screaming "GET OFF MY ROADS!" at drivers, but with actual justification 'cos they are actually my roads. :)

Phase 2: Bribe the weather gods.

Phase 3: Taunt the RSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

My fantasy road

One where nutjobs don’t overtake me on downhill approaches to blind corners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Lot of hairpins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Basically take everyone's ideas, and add 24/7 supporters lining the roads like you're in Le Tour (and Spanish police to tackle eejits out of the way, like La Vuelta)

A service crew with spare bikes would be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Picture this: A long, narrow rat-run road through a residential area, with painted on cycle tracks that are somehow on the road itself, yet still lose priority every 150m for side streets, allowing you the pleasure of yielding to traffic from ahead, behind, and to your side. Sprinkle in a few parked cars, motorists nosing out of each side road, as each motorist veers ever so gently into the cycletrack as they text and scroll through twitter. And the pièce de résistance, a sauntering cyclist going half your speed to repeatedly overtake, only to be shoaled just before the every-150m-traffic-lights go green. Bliss.

Advertisement