Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High End Build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1920X 3.5 GHz 12-Core Processor (£349.39 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 33 TR (Black/White) CPU Cooler (£33.04 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - X399 AORUS PRO ATX TR4 Motherboard (£254.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£363.59 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: ADATA - XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£153.68 @ CCL Computers)
    Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon VII 16 GB Video Card (£625.47 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Lian-Li - PC-O11 Dynamic (Black) ATX Full Tower Case (£126.65 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Power Supply: Corsair - HX Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£112.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £2019.80
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-29 12:44 BST+0100

More cores, 64Gb RAM, Vega VII (similar performance as 2080 in everything except ray-tracing, 16Gb VRAM).
    CPU will "only" hit 4GHz overclocked but again, 50% more threads.
    Platinum-certified PSU with 10yr warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Depends on the balance of work/gaming really. The 1920X is inferior to the 9900K in games. The 9900K will also OC better furthering the gap. If your monitor is 60hz, will make zero difference though.

The Vega 7 is broadly similar to the 1080Ti/RTX2080, but the Nvidia cards are much more consistent in performance. I chose the 2080 over the Vega for that reason.

Hard to give exact answers without knowing which is more important, games v work, and what sort of monitor you have or hope to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

its going to be 50/50 in terms of work/games as i work from home.
    I currently have an AMD card and tend not to go with them again as had problems with drivers and issues with playing games. This is with reference that i had 2 nvidia cards prior to that and had no issue with them ever till end of life.

Monitor i am open for suggestions but budget running tight hence contemplating dropping to 2070 or 2060 to accommodate that purchase which will probably a 28". Will then think of going big on the next gen cards in 2/3 years.

Also included RGB, well it can't be justified but will match by rgb keyboard :D.
    Just want a sanity check to see if my build is decent or stupid, i did try an see if any recent high build but nothing in 2k+ recently so at least others if thinking big will give food for thought.

RTX 2060 is decent for 1440p gaming & can reach RTX 2070 levels; alternatively find a cheap GTX 1070/1080 used.

AMD cards may have issues but RTX cards are seeing a fair amount of DOA cards so... up to you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

An alternative build for you. Going for more of a value approach. The 2080's have a lot of issues with overheating without going for the ultra high end models that cost a fortune. You would want to pair it with a 9900k then as well ideally which pushes the price up even more. The 2070's don't have this issue.

The 2700x will give you slightly lower frames in some games but you will have the option of upgrading cheaply to a 16 core with better ipc, clock speeds and memory controller in a few months with the Ryzen 3000 series. I find it hard to support intel at this stage when AMD is about to wipe the floor with them in a few months time.

I managed to include a very nice 2560x1440 G-Sync monitor as well. Still room in the budget to upgrade a part or 2 if you want.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor (£274.29 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair - H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£134.99 @ AWD-IT)
    Motherboard: Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£155.58 @ Aria PC)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£142.38 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Western Digital - Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£86.49 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card (£469.79 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Case: Lian-Li - PC-O11 Dynamic (Black) ATX Full Tower Case (£115.00 @ PC World)
    Power Supply: Corsair - HX Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£112.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Monitor: Acer - XB271HU bmiprz 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor (£498.99 @ PC World Business)
    Total: £1990.50
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-29 16:59 BST+0100

• Advertisement

Wouldn't put the WD Blue SSD in a machine like this though, it's a SATA SSD.

Definitely a higher-end PCIe one like ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro needed in this.

Ah my bad. It's still a fantastic ssd for the price but I guess the VM's might make use of higher bandwidth.

You probably want something durable as well if the VM's are going to be writing a lot.

Budget is there to go for some better parts anyway.

yup - cheers chaps
    food for thought, intending to buy for June as away in May so is it worth considering waiting for Ryzen 3000 series as its due to be released in June/July? I'm leaning towards the amd CPU and nvidia GPU combo, just so i squeeze in the monitor and a few other perks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

We don't have a firm date on Zen2/Ryzen3000 so it would be better not to plan around it for now. If we do get more information, just ask again closer to the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

I can never understand why people who see someone clearly going Intel/NVIDIA, choose to link AMD as an "alternative". I myself started out with AMD, used nothing but, after numerous issues with dual monitor setups, drivers, game performance, I switched to Intel/NVIDIA and will never go back. I don't care if its more expensive, if they are ripping me off, they work at the end of the day, and have always done so for me, unlike AMD.

Those who preach AMD have possibly had issues with NVIDIA, and never with AMD, thats ok, but stop using "Better bang for your buck" as a reason, because its really not anymore.

• Advertisement

gibgodsman wrote: »
    I can never understand why people who see someone clearly going Intel/NVIDIA, choose to link AMD as an "alternative". I myself started out with AMD, used nothing but, after numerous issues with dual monitor setups, drivers, game performance, I switched to Intel/NVIDIA and will never go back. I don't care if its more expensive, if they are ripping me off, they work at the end of the day, and have always done so for me, unlike AMD.

Those who preach AMD have possibly had issues with NVIDIA, and never with AMD, thats ok, but stop using "Better bang for your buck" as a reason, because its really not anymore.

Um, no.
    I'm linking AMD CPUs because they are, objectively, probably more suited to a multi-VM setup since they offer more cores/threads for the same price.

And the Vega VII is a good GPU, especially at higher resolutions where it usually beats the RTX 2070 & pulls even/beats the RTX 2080.
    Either is fine though.

if both were priced the same i would go Intel and NVIDIA,

In saying that with my prior experience with AMD graphics cards i would never go back again due to the compatibility issues i have experienced regardless of price difference. This is probably down to NVIDIA exclusivity with games development especially with the AAA titles, updates for AMD cards do come but not as fast.

I am entertaining a AMD CPU and NVIDIA combo, is just a cost factor due to the fact i need a new monitor as well and just can't get everything if i go Intel/NVIDIA. Plus games primarily rely on graphics card updates so going AMD/NVIDIA shouldn't repeat my past problems.

gibgodsman wrote: »

Probably because most of us in here are more knowledgeable than you. There's no room for fanboy bull**** in here. If the op wants me to back it up with benchmarks and information I can do that.

I've built over 30 PC's using hardware from both over the last 15 years or so. There's very good reasons to go with AMD on the CPU front right now.

Their 8 core/ 16 thread is nearly half the price of intels and only performs in the region of 5% worse in games at 1440p.

The next gen is coming in July which is supported by current boards which increases the clock speeds, IPC and core count to 16/32 in the normal desktop market for less than the price of intels current 8/16 and at that point they pass intel and crush them. Amd are at 7nm when intel are struggling to get to 10m.

Sure you can make an argument on the gpu front but I've used AMD gpu's in many builds without any issues. They have dominated the lower and mid range market for the majority of the last 10 years. It's the high end they have struggled with in recent times. Radeon 7 is a good gpu though. It's a great card for those that can make use of the 16gb of vram for modding or development. Nvidia is still the way to go for a purely gaming point of view in the high end though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I only ever recommend Intel CPU's on 144hz builds because it makes a difference there. But even that depends on your build budget. Eg. a 144hz monitor with a 9900K is totally pointless unless you also have the cash for a RTX2080 or 2080Ti. A 2700X + a 2080Ti is a way better balanced 144hz machine versus say, a 9900K and an RTX2060.

In the OPs case there is a budget in play, work is involved, and 144hz doesn't even seem to be a consideration, so the 2700X + better GPU makes the most sense.

I do like to think that there are no fanboys here for the most part, just realists. On the GPU front I wanted to get a Vega 7 over the 2080 but I was disappointed by the inconsistency relatively speaking compared to the 2080. On the plus side it's cheaper and has double the vram.

Exactly. Imo the 9900k should only be considered for a 2080ti build. You will run into a gpu bottleneck long before cpu most of the time at 2560x1440 / 144hz. The op still has some money at play here which I would put into a gpu like the 2080/1080ti before getting a 9900k still.

If you're not buying until June op might as well wait and see what Ryzen 3000 info we have by then. The new boards will have PCIe Gen 4 support as well which will make a difference for SSD's. Maybe Navi gpu's will be worth a look at as well. If nothing else they might get Nvidia to drop their prices a bit.

Advertisement