Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling home insurance cooling period aviva

• 29-04-2019 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,773 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Bit annoying this one - took out an insurance policy with Aviva Friday - next day got a cheaper quote so phoned them today to cancel and get a refund. They said they can't cancel until the policy start date which is 26th of May? So I have to be out of pocket (paid in full) until end of May?

This sounds a little unreasonable? Anything I can do to get my money back sooner?

Cheers,
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This sounds a little unreasonable?

What sounds 'unreasonable' is that you took out a policy a whole month early, continued to seek quotes, got a better quote and then went to cancel the original policy.

Look at it from their perspective, they clearly regard you as a complete time-waster. Which probably explains why they're not co-operating and giving you your money back straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,773 ✭✭✭micks_address

coylemj wrote: »
    What sounds 'unreasonable' is that you took out a policy a whole month early, continued to seek quotes, got a better quote and then went to cancel the original policy.

Look at it from their perspective, they clearly regard you as a complete time-waster. Which probably explains why they're not co-operating and giving you your money back straight away.

Ah hello... Is that not what cooling off periods are for :) the even more ridiculous is that the cheaper price is from postinsurance who are you guessed it underwritten by aviva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Ah hello... Is that not what cooling off periods are for a

No that's not what a cooling off period is for. It's to allow you fully digest the terms and conditions of the policy, having been provided with them when the policy goes live.

Agree with the other poster, you could have avoided all of this by waiting for all the quotes to come in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,773 ✭✭✭micks_address

No that's not what a cooling off period is for. It's to allow you fully digest the terms and conditions of the policy, having been provided with them when the policy goes live.

Agree with the other poster, you could have avoided all of this by waiting for all the quotes to come in

Respectfully disagree with you both. If I'm allowed cancel something within 14 days of purchase then I should get my refund immediately. Having to wait for a policy to start shouldn't have to come into it. Either way I'll get my refund just feels like a nuisance to wait. The bigger concern I have is that they won't actually refund me when the time comes as I'm away for the summer and it will be a pain contacting them. If the cooling off period was 14 days from policy start date I'd understand.. it should be easier process

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Problem is all of your making at the end of the day

• Advertisement
Advertisement