Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ARE you going to vote

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I will vote and always have done since I could vote. I mean in cork city this time we’ve got four different things to vote on Election Day which I can see leading to problem with spoiled votes with people mixing up preferences with an X for yes or no. But I think it’s very important to vote if you have the right to do it.

I know who I won’t vote for(and never have) but it’s a case of me deciding how many of the candidates I could vote for that I will vote for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

I will. I have two - one in Dublin, and one down the home place. So I’ll vote in Dublin in the morning, and head down home in the evening for a vote and a tray of pints afterwards.

Vote early and vote often, as the shinners say. Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I always vote in a referendum.
    I may vote in the two gombeen elections while I'm there in the polling booth.

Need your help understanding voting as I never get it straight in my head.

I have 2 candidates in local election that I’m voting for. One of them is a definite to get in but the second one is new to the game and not from the area so I’m not sure how they will do.

Do I give my No1 to the person who is definite to get in and No2 to the other. I’m thinking that the definite one will win on 1st count and then their surplus will transfer to the number 2. Have I got that right?

Oh, how does surplus work? Do they take all the ballot papers of whomever got in at first count and count their no2s or do they just look at ballot papers after they’ve reached quota?

Thanks in advance.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

i AM not going TO vote

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Last time I voted i was called for jury duty twice within a very short timeframe, it really put me off voting so i doubt i will actually vote,plus none of the candidates seem like good choices to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I have 2 candidates in local election that I’m voting for. One of them is a definite to get in but the second one is new to the game and not from the area so I’m not sure how they will do.

Do I give my No1 to the person who is definite to get in and No2 to the other. I’m thinking that the definite one will win on 1st count and then their surplus will transfer to the number 2. Have I got that right?

Oh, how does surplus work? Do they take all the ballot papers of whomever got in at first count and count their no2s or do they just look at ballot papers after they’ve reached quota?

Thanks in advance.
    If you want both then give the second one your first preference. I've found this link which should help you with the system.
    Transfers and surplus distribution come from who voters chose next.

https://spunout.ie/opinion/article/our-voting-system1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Thanks in advance.
    Vote for the new guy.
    If you vote for the main guy, your vote might not be one of the transfers. It might stay with him. Then somebody else's vote gets transferred, but maybe to a guy you don't like.

If you vote for the new guy No.1, then even if he gets eliminated your vote moves on to the main guy anyway. Unless he's already elected at that stage, then it moves on to your No.3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I always vote.

In my experience the people least likely to vote are those I'm most happy aren't voting.

It's why I would never support any kind of compulsory measures to make people vote, similar to what they have in Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

I'm going to vote, even though I think it might trigger a jury summons like I suspected it did once.

When my husband had got one not long after moving to Ireland, I checked our eligibility for jury service carefully on the form, as we were still UK citizens (as we still are). It said all citizens were eligible, which I took to mean of voting age and not a prisoner etc, so it went ahead. It might have been an interesting experience, but the jury was dismissed for some reason before they got to the court.

By the time I got my summons, I'd learned how ambiguous Irish official info could be, so rang to check, and discovered only Irish citizens were eligible. I don't know how that leaves the legality of my husband's little adventure, but 'not eligible' wasn't included in the boxes to tick on my form for reasons not to attend, so I added an explanatory note, adding that it might be helpful to insert the word 'Irish' on the website. A reply duly arrived saying that they'd considered the matter, and I was 'excused', 'on this occasion'. (No mention of anything else).

So if we get another jury summons, it'll only be of interest re whether the form's still the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

I'm in Midlands North West, going to vote #1 for Luke Ming Flanagan because he's done very well in the European Parliament for a first term MEP. Previously I would have voted for Marian Harkin and given Ming 2, but Harkin's not running this time. She has however endorsed Ming which was great to see as they worked well together over the last 5 years.

Will be voting independent in the locals and yes in the referendum.

What I'll do in a GE has become a significant headache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭satguy

FF are hoping they get lots of votes, the more votes they get, the more confidence and supply they can give FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

I'll probably vote but feel zero enthusiasm about it.
    If it turns out that I don't, it won't bother me in the least.
    As time goes on I find it increasingly difficult to give a shìt.

Advertisement