Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais - closing account - tried to take money from me!

Options
  • 29-04-2019 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Sorry this is more of a rant than a question.

I recently changed electricity supplier as Bord Gais were taking 300 euros by direct debit when my account was already in credit by 400 euros......:eek:

So with my last bill period starting 4th February I still had nearly 300 euros in credit, they took direct debits of 50 euros in February, and 80 euros in March. I closed my account with them 12th April.

Since I had complained about them having 700 euros of credit from me, and still not correcting their automated level pay system, they gave me 60 euros compensation. :rolleyes:

The bill I got sent on the 9th April for the time period from 4th Feb, said 436 euros owed, so leaving me with 13.64 credit left on my account.

The final bill dated 26th Apr, for the same time period (plus one week) said 430 euros owed, but a bill for 336 euros !!!:mad:

They took the level of credit on the account as the 13.64, rather than the 300+50+80 euros!!!!! So my closing bill was going to be taken from me by direct debit for 336 euros on 10th May!!!!!!!

Confusing huh! The reality is that they owe me money!!!!!!

I have rung and pointed it out to them, but wonder how many people are caught in the middle of moving house and don't double check their bills.

What do you think are my chances of
    a) getting the 130 euros they currently owe me in 10 days time?
    and
    b) them NOT trying to take 336 via direct debit in 12 days time?

I certainly hope they don't try to fleece me again, I certainly won't be a Bord Gais customer ever again.

Sorry rant over, I need to go and lay down to recover!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I have also recently left Bord Gais. I don't think I'm exactly thick, but I found their level pay and billing system complicated and difficult to comprehend.

However, I changed in March and cancelled my direct debit. I had to ask them for my refund and provide details they already had more than once, but my account was credited correctly (AFAIK) in the end.

First thing to do is cancel your DD to prevent any more payments and then apply for the balance to be refunded. I doubt if 10 days will see it clear your account, but it will eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭boarduser01

Just updating: They did repay the money on 7th May and did charge not charge me on the 10th. So at least it eventually worked out.

Advertisement