Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Storage

Options
  • 29-04-2019 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

Hi, newbie question.

Do I need a ‘gun storage locker’ for an air rifle?

I will be applying for a ‘licence’ soon but can’t see a clear answer online.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Yes you do

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭JohnFitz2332

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Hi, newbie question.

Do I need a ‘gun storage locker’ for an air rifle?

I will be applying for a ‘licence’ soon but can’t see a clear answer online.

Thanks

And you'll need to fix it to a wall or floor as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

So if it was 1 shotgun I could break the shotgun and store pieces separately without a locked gun store?

But as it is an air rifle I have to get a gun storage locker?

How much at lower end for storage, I guess any gun store has them?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Have a look online. Outdoor sports will deliver them for free. It saves you having transport the safe in your car and destroying it.

https://outdoorsports.ie/collections/hunting-accessories/gun-storage

Thanks for all replies.

Out of interest I attached regulations. Only a non restricted shotgun can vibe stored without cabinet.

What is a non restricted shotgun?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Only a non restricted shotgun can vibe stored without cabinet.
    Those are minimum conditions. Meaning it's the absolute lowest level of security you can have when applying. If successful in your application the Superintendent may ask you to get a safe for the shotgun even if its only the shotgun. It's his/her right under the firearm act/SI to demand a higher level than indicated on the legislation if they deem it necessary.

Just so you know, and are not caught off guard.
    What is a non restricted shotgun?
    A non restricted shotgun is any of the following:
    1. A single barrel shotgun
    2. A double barrel shotgun (side by side or over/under)
    3. A semi auto shotgun than cannot hold more than three cartridges

What makes a shogun restricted:
    1. A pistol grip
    2. Folding stock
    3. The capability (whether used or not) to hold more than 3 cartridges.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Perfect thanks again

Another question please.

Do I need to have gun cabinet in place at time of licence application or can I wait until licence is granted?

Do guards come out to house to inspect storage as part of application?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

They usually want to see it in place.
    Also you are ticking the box to say you have complied with the security arrangements. You cant tick that if you havent a safe fitted. Even if its just a shotgun I would always fit a safe. Its a costly thing to replace a gun.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As said above by Solarwind, you must have any security requirements in place before applying as the FCA1 form asks if you have complied with the secure storage accommodations SI.

The thing with this, and as i said above, the minimum standard for a single unrestricted shotgun is to break the gun up and store it separately, with a trigger lock. So legally speaking you can tick the box without a safe and you have met the minimum conditions.

However i'd go with Solarwinds recommendation and get a safe regardless. It's safer, and besides meeting the conditions for a license application the other benefit is knowing your firearm is secure. I mean i have a higher level of security than what is listed in level four security. I do it not to "impress" An Gardaí, but to make sure my stuff is secure and will be there when i return home.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. I’ll purchase gun safe this weekend ahead of my application.

You help is appreciated :)

Advertisement