Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angle Grinder: What do you use?

Options
  • 29-04-2019 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

I need a small mid-size angle grinder and have a few dumb questions:

1) 240V or 110V ? Since Ireland has 230V sockets, will 110V even work? So, why are they selling 110V grinders on Amazon.co.uk? I also see some with 230V...

2) How much power for the occasional light job? I would assume that 700-800 Watt is plenty but I might be wrong. What are your thoughts?

What do you use and where do you buy it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

ampleforth wrote: »

1) 240V or 110V ? Since Ireland has 230V sockets, will 110V even work? So, why are they selling 110V grinders on Amazon.co.uk? I also see some with 230V...

2) How much power for the occasional light job? I would assume that 700-800 Watt is plenty but I might be wrong. What are your thoughts?

110volt are for building sites. They are used plenty over here probably more so than 240 volt ones. Generally the higher the wattage the more powerful but really it’s sll down to what you plan to use it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have an 840W Makita corded angle grinder and I've never thought "I wish I had more power".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

For the occasional light job....

220V inch from lidl/aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

For the occasional light job....

220V inch from lidl/aldi.

These any good for car clamps?

:D

Somebody has to ask... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

salmocab wrote: »
    110volt are for building sites. They are used plenty over here probably more so than 240 volt ones. Generally the higher the wattage the more powerful but really it’s sll down to what you plan to use it on.

I know it will be a very occasional tool. I will cut a down a metal bars up to 1/2 inch thick, tin roof, thick garden fencing (1/2 inch x 2 inch approx), metal garden gates, nails, large screw heads etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

If it's not for anything too major then I'd pay the extra for battery powered. So handy.

Fieldog wrote: »
    These any good for car clamps?

:D

Somebody has to ask... :P

For that you would need the cordless version ;) Makes parking in Dublin a lot easier... :D but only if you never return...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

Buy a good one it will last forever. Pay the extra dollar you won't regret it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If it's not for anything too major then I'd pay the extra for battery powered. So handy.

I wouldn't . I have a battery grinder and it's Superbly handy.

But also ****e.

They eat power they eat a battery ridiculously quickly. You'd want to spend big money and have multiple batteries for it to be worthwhile.

If you chopping up random bits constantly then get a corded one steer well clear of cordless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

This one...
    https://www.ie.screwfix.com/makita-m9502-4-angle-grinder-240v.html
    ....is pretty good value for a Makita. Although most of their tools are blue they often use Red for stuff they are phasing out, etc.
    Other than that, don't buy the cheapest Angle Grinder in Argos, B&Q etc. You would have to be one of the 1% who never have a problem with their's ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

what is the need?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

listermint wrote: »
    I wouldn't . I have a battery grinder and it's Superbly handy.

But also ****e.

They eat power they eat a battery ridiculously quickly. You'd want to spend big money and have multiple batteries for it to be worthwhile.

If you chopping up random bits constantly then get a corded one steer well clear of cordless.

I've three 5Ah batteries for mine so I'm never stuck but yeah, it gets pricey then. There's still no subsititute for not having to faff around finding sockets and not being hindered by cables though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The Bosch one Linked on the last page is good value.

what is the need?

More like want:

"Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.” ... “Or the one.” ... where is an angle grinder when you need one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I bought a cordless bosch angle grinder (bare unit) as I already had some spare batteries for my drill and impact driver etc. Great tool, very handy, but as others have said it eats batteries! A 4ah battery will do a lot of work in a drill/ driver but run time is very short in the angle grinder. Corded grinder is the way to go if you're going to be doing any volume of cutting or grinding I think.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    This one...
    https://www.ie.screwfix.com/makita-m9502-4-angle-grinder-240v.html
    ....is pretty good value for a Makita. Although most of their tools are blue they often use Red for stuff they are phasing out, etc.
    Other than that, don't buy the cheapest Angle Grinder in Argos, B&Q etc. You would have to be one of the 1% who never have a problem with their's ;).

Interesting. Now a bit underpowered with 500ish watt?

I bought a cordless bosch angle grinder (bare unit) as I already had some spare batteries for my drill and impact driver etc. Great tool, very handy, but as others have said it eats batteries! A 4ah battery will do a lot of work in a drill/ driver but run time is very short in the angle grinder. Corded grinder is the way to go if you're going to be doing any volume of cutting or grinding I think.

Totally agree, especially if you do have an extension cord drum already and you don't move around a lot with it...

Interesting. Now a bit underpowered with 500ish watt?
    The lower power just means you will go a bit slower when cutting.
    The Blue Bosch linked to earlier is a good choice BTW. Just remember that with Bosch Green is DIY, while Blue is usually better quality....for not much more money.

• Advertisement

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    The lower power just means you will go a bit slower when cutting.
    The Blue Bosch linked to earlier is a good choice BTW. Just remember that with Bosch Green is DIY, while Blue is usually better quality....for not much more money.

I think I will go for that Bosch, 900W is plenty and its small and light. Too bad ScrewFix does not have it in stock right now (like every time I want (or need?) something)... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭cletus

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I have this 115mm Ryobi for light work, I find it great, and I particularly love the space in the handle to hold the spanner that invariably gets lost

https://www.handyhardware.ie/product/74243/Ryobi-RAG800-115mm-Angle-Grinder-800-Watt-240-Volt-5133002519?gclid=CjwKCAjwwZrmBRA7EiwA4iMzBJD_Y-jX7ojlcv7NkDAzejJc6RR6dDXDJjvvD3oMVA_pujXijrUz9hoCDh0QAvD_BwE

For bigger heavier work I have this DeWalt, but in fairness, it's a bit of a monster, and overkill for 90% of the jobs I need an angle grinder for.

https://www.topline.ie/tools-hardware/power-tools/sanders-grinders/grinders-polishers/dewalt/d28492k-230mm-angle-grinder-2200w-kit-box-110v

As for the poster who asked what's the need, what sort of a question is that to ask anyone? It's a tool, the correct amount you should own is n+1, just like bikes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

cletus wrote: »
    As for the poster who asked what's the need, what sort of a question is that to ask anyone? It's a tool, the correct amount you should own is n+1, just like bikes :D
    n in my case is 3 :D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭cletus

n in my case is 3 :D

Regardless, apply the rule. You need another angle grinder

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01D9QAG9G/ref=twister_B073WCYXM1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Less power (but still a Bosch Pro Range) for around €67 ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

mgbgt1978 wrote:
    Less power (but still a Bosch Pro Range) for around €67 ???

I have one of those, works great. Aldo have a makita one about 8 years ald and a cheapo B&Q one I bought to put a big ass wire brush on and expected to die in a week. Its running at least 8 years now, rattles like f**k but working fine. Have an old Dewalt cordless 18v that's has had done light use (old battery style) and a new(ish) dewalt battery one that runs on the new batteries. Normally fitted with a flap disk for quick clean up after a weld (light welding like car body rust repair etc) or a thin cutting disk.. It gets quite a bit of use but its relatively light. Heavy on batteries so for serious work I use one of the corded ones. Also have large 9" grinder that I rarely use..

Wow, if you hang all of those on your tool belt, they will pull you right into the ground if the weather is wet :O

• Registered Users Posts: 18,544 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If your using the grinder regularly buy a decent make, they are lighter, quieter and less vibrations.

If it’s just occasional use Lidl/Aldi or Argos stuff is fine.
    I’ve an Argos Challenge brand for 5-6 years now and never any trouble, used weekly.

You don’t need 110v, it’s designed to be safer for commercial use on sites and requires using a transformer costing probably €50 and weighing 20kg, total pain to use but safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have burned out a few Mini grinders 4.5" and 4" I bought a cheapish Maktec 4.5" many years ago and it hasn't missed a beat even with some serious abuse.
    They are Makita industrial line and a pink in colour.
    Metabo are also good but you need to size it to what you are trying to do with it.
    I have a 9" Hitachi for bigger jobs and that has nearly run its last race.

• Advertisement
Advertisement