Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Irish Gigs (Rumoured & Confirmed events)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Its Dermot Kennedy for Malahide Castle and Irish Independent Park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

bennyl10 wrote: »
    all her europe dates seem to be festivals?

She wants a festival vibe
    So for anywhere that doesnt already have festivals in place shes making a "loverfest"

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Duffy98

Dermot Kennedy 26th Malahide and 27th June Independent park... the gigs announced for both venues have been farily underwhelming compared to last summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

dragonfly! wrote: »
    She’s playing small venues across Europe.....
    So people will have to pay to see her. Awhhh.

Theres going to be another announcement today for Independent park at 12pm , hopefully its an act thats not a "safe bet" for a change altough im not at all hopeful of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Duffy98 wrote: »
    Dermot Kennedy 26th Malahide and 27th June Independent park... the gigs announced for both venues have been farily underwhelming compared to last summer

Same dates as Picture This ?

Wouldn't make much sense, same kind of fan base ? (tweenagers+ Winey Wives + ****** )

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

The Script are coming to Cork so i can imagine thats the next announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

dragonfly! wrote: »
    She wants a festival vibe
    So for anywhere that doesnt already have festivals in place shes making a "loverfest"
    she's not doing any LoverFest events in Europe.
    in the US the LoverFest events are multiple nights in 60,000+ stadiums.

she's not playing small venues anywhere.

she's not playing in Independent Park.

greenspurs wrote: »
    Same dates as Picture This ?

Wouldn't make much sense, same kind of fan base ? (tweenagers+ Winey Wives + ****** )
    Picture this are 26th Cork and 27th Malahide yeah they really played it safe this year.. it was nice having a proper act like Liam Gallagher but its all teeny bopper acts they are putting in this year

Script Independent Park June 23rd 2020.
    Thats 4/5 gigs announced so there will be another one announced at a later date or who knows they might get given two dates arent they playing the 3arena and the SSE as well why give them another gig?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

she's not doing any LoverFest events in Europe.
    in the US the LoverFest events are multiple nights in 60,000+ stadiums.

she's not playing small venues anywhere.

she's not playing in Independent Park.

Is that a direct quote from TayTay ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Script Independent Park June 23rd 2020.
    Thats 4/5 gigs announced so there will be another one announced at a later date or who knows they might get given two dates arent they playing the 3arena and the SSE as well why give them another gig?

They won’t be playing the marquee so next year....every cloud ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

greenspurs wrote: »
    Is that a direct quote from TayTay ?

taylorswift.gif

Rfrip wrote: »
    They won’t be playing the marquee so next year....every cloud ;)
    Yeah they were quick enough to avoid the marquee 😂😂 , but honestly like independent park / malahide gigs for next year are farily uninspiring compared to last year how can you go from getting acts like The cure,Liam gallagher, Mumford and sons , Noel Gallagher , Lana del rey etc to picture this , capaldi , kennedy and the script? Whoever is in charge of booking the acts has dull taste 😂😂 i know as well that its about making as much money as possible but a lot of these acts are already playing sold out shows in the three so why dont they book other acts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Picture this are 26th Cork and 27th Malahide yeah they really played it safe this year.. it was nice having a proper act like Liam Gallagher but its all teeny bopper acts they are putting in this year

I'd love to know what constitutes "a proper act". I'd imagine it means "an act that I like"...

I'm no fan of Dermot Kennedy, Lewis Capaldi or Walking on Cars, for e.g., but what makes them less "proper" than Liam?

Hoping for a few surprises from the Marquee next summer as I've nothing lined up for Cork yet. Bon Iver, Nick Cave and Caribou in Dublin though so it's not all bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,562 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dermot Kennedy had a No. 1 album in the UK charts which from an Irish act is great, also doing well in US

I'd love to know what constitutes "a proper act". I'd imagine it means "an act that I like"...

I'm no fan of Dermot Kennedy, Lewis Capaldi or Walking on Cars, for e.g., but what makes them less "proper" than Liam?

Hoping for a few surprises from the Marquee next summer as I've nothing lined up for Cork yet. Bon Iver, Nick Cave and Caribou in Dublin though so it's not all bad!
    I was using Liam as an example but you can clearly see that Capaldi and the likes are constantly booked to make money hes playing here what like 8 times between now and july next year don't you think hes been here enough. yeah it would be nice to have a proper act like , I want an act who are/is talented , large enough discography not a vanilla act like what theyve booked it's not a lot to ask for i'd have even taken Sam Fender now that would be ambitious for a 12k arena but a least he has something about him can't say a lot for some acts i know musics subjective but it's not hard to see some acts are just all hype and fairly bland

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

I think it's pretty clear what he's saying. Dermot Kennedy, Lewis Capaldi, Walking on Cars and The Script are all pop acts geared towards the teen market.

I was using Liam as an example but you can clearly see that Capaldi and the likes are constantly booked to make money hes playing here what like 8 times between now and july next year don't you think hes been here enough. yeah it would be nice to have a proper act like , I want an act who are/is talented , large enough discography not a vanilla act like what theyve booked it's not a lot to ask for i'd have even taken Sam Fender now that would be ambitious for a 12k arena but a least he has something about him can't say a lot for some acts i know musics subjective but it's not hard to see some acts are just all hype and fairly bland

This is my point - I think Liam is garbage and wouldn't cross the street to see him.

As I said, I don't like Walking on Cars, Lewis Capaldi or Dermot Kennedy but they will sell. Of course they are booking them to make money - why else would they put these gigs on?

These acts will sell in Cork - it might be primarily teenagers and young people that go but what's wrong with that?

That's what happens with big outdoor events and festivals; they target people that are popular and will sell.

Booking Sam Fender (or Gerry Cinnamon, who is another often mooted for these shows) is no different to booking Dermot Kennedy - they are young, exciting acts with large fan bases and small discographies. The only difference is you like one and you don't like the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Would I be mad to think Caribou could play the marquee? I mean he played the big top in Galway and that’s similar looking tent in fairness ......clutching at straws :)

• Advertisement

This is my point - I think Liam is garbage and wouldn't cross the street to see him.

As I said, I don't like Walking on Cars, Lewis Capaldi or Dermot Kennedy but they will sell. Of course they are booking them to make money - why else would they put these gigs on?

These acts will sell in Cork - it might be primarily teenagers and young people that go but what's wrong with that?

That's what happens with big outdoor events and festivals; they target people that are popular and will sell.

Booking Sam Fender (or Gerry Cinnamon, who is another often mooted for these shows) is no different to booking Dermot Kennedy - they are young, exciting acts with large fan bases and small discographies. The only difference is you like one and you don't like the other.
    Yeah fair enough , one point id make is that they said the idea behind independent park was to bring a large range of acts to cork , they havent really done that if anything they've alienated a portion of people from going to a gig there by just constantly adding pop/vanilla acts there , im sure theres people in Cork who would go see a rock/rap/alternative act there and MCD have the monopoly on booking those acts thats all im saying. Like last year we had two irish acts , George Ezra , rock act in Gallagher and Lauryn Hill for a different set of fans who don't have an interest in the other acts now by all accounts that gig was a disaster so thats why maybe it's all safe this year thats my point there should be an act for everyone not a bunch of act for one demographic

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Yeah fair enough , one point id make is that they said the idea behind independent park was to bring a large range of acts to cork , they havent really done that if anything they've alienated a portion of people from going to a gig there by just constantly adding pop/vanilla acts there , im sure theres people in Cork who would go see a rock/rap/alternative act there and MCD have the monopoly on booking those acts thats all im saying. Like last year we had two irish acts , George Ezra , rock act in Gallagher and Lauryn Hill for a different set of fans who don't have an interest in the other acts now by all accounts that gig was a disaster so thats why maybe it's all safe this year thats my point there should be an act for everyone not a bunch of act for one demographic
    Yeah they may have gone for too much of the same in the one year. All 4 acts attract the same people this year. Will these kids be able to go 4 gigs in the one week?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I think it's pretty clear what he's saying. Dermot Kennedy, Lewis Capaldi, Walking on Cars and The Script are all pop acts geared towards the teen market.

Whereas people 3 or 4 years older than that like Liam Gallagher.

(Makes all the difference :D).

Sure - but I think it's a silly point to crib about them not being "proper" music. They will sell. Last year, George Ezra and Walking on Cars sold out the venue; proper acts Liam Gallagher and Lauryn Hill had tickets available on the day.
    Would I be mad to think Caribou could play the marquee? I mean he played the big top in Galway and that’s similar looking tent in fairness ......clutching at straws :)

I'd love it - I just reckon they'd have announced it on the same day as the Dublin show so not holding out any hope.

100% agree here - it's not an interesting line-up, but neither was last year's IMO. It was more varied but maybe they'll add 2 or 3 more shows that might tick that box as they go along.

MCD don't care about variety; they care about shifting tickets. Like I said above, on the day of Liam Gallagher and Lauryn Hill, tickets were still available. I don't know how many or anything, but that wasn't the case for the pop acts and it won't be the case for some of the pop acts they've announced whereas it might have been if they got, say, Foals or something.

I don't want to seem like I'm picking on you - so apologies if it came across that way. I just didn't expect any different for these gigs.

If it runs like the Marquee, you'll get the occasional interesting show mixed in with plenty of safe bets to ensure the long-term future of the series. It might just be a case that the interesting shows might not be until 2021 this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

What do ye think of the Santana gig? I'd be concerned at the view from the 60/70 euro tickets. They're a very visual act, so I'm thinking of the 90 euro tickets, but that's bloody expensive! I saw him in Marley park about 20 years ago and he was unreal. Arghhhhhh! Please someone tell me what to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

blue note wrote: »
    What do ye think of the Santana gig? I'd be concerned at the view from the 60/70 euro tickets. They're a very visual act, so I'm thinking of the 90 euro tickets, but that's bloody expensive! I saw him in Marley park about 20 years ago and he was unreal. Arghhhhhh! Please someone tell me what to do!

196 quid for 2 standing tickets.

Nah.

blue note wrote: »
    Yeah was tempted myself until I saw the 90 euro for standing. If you really want to go you should go youll be kicking yourself otherwise , sure it's been 10 years hasnt it since hes last been here might be one of his last gigs here as well he puts on a good show anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

LG a proper act?? He cant write a song or sing in any tone or time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

LG a proper act?? He cant write a song or sing in any tone or time.

Little James is the GOAT

You live for your toys, even though they make noise
    Have you ever played with plastercine
    Or even tried a trampoline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Was astonished at the price for Caribou at GIAF last year. €50 or €60.love them but thought they had a fairly niche following. How wrong I was.

Advertisement