Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kids cycling Dublin area

• 29-04-2019 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Looking for routes to take the kids on near Dublin. Something like the Blessington Greenway.
    I have a 5 and 7 year old and they loved doing this small cycle with me. Can anyone else suggest other routes that would suit kids within an hour of Dublin. Blessington was mostly off-road and decent gravel/boardwalk with a bit of mud. I was very impressed with it, great for young cyclists.

If already done apologies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

work wrote: »
    Looking for routes to take the kids on near Dublin. Something like the Blessington Greenway.
    I have a 5 and 7 year old and they loved doing this small cycle with me. Can anyone else suggest other routes that would suit kids within an hour of Dublin. Blessington was mostly off-road and decent gravel/boardwalk with a bit of mud. I was very impressed with it, great for young cyclists.

Howth to Sutton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We used to loop Marlay as kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Glenasmole reservoir.
    Corkagh Park
    Phoenix Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Royal Canal West of Clonsilla to avoid the deep sinking. Good thread on it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Glenasmole reservoir.
    Corkagh Park
    Phoenix Park

Would avoid Phoenix Park. Alot of the faster cyclists seem to frown or have a go at the kids on the cycle lane. Had to stop bringing the kids there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭3DataModem

The cycle path from Clontarf to Sutton is continuous, but there are stretches where there is a drop to the sea on one side (so careful with smaller kids).

TBH my favourite place to take the bikes is St Anne's where we can just trundle around for a couple of hours, keeping away from pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Missus Doubtfire

Join the Royal Canal at Carton House and head west.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Would avoid Phoenix Park. Alot of the faster cyclists seem to frown or have a go at the kids on the cycle lane. Had to stop bringing the kids there
    there are plenty of other cycle lanes, around the playing pitches and along the road to the south of them (which has been closed to motorised traffic).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

there are plenty of other cycle lanes, around the playing pitches and along the road to the south of them (which has been closed to motorised traffic).

It happened in more than one location in the park. Kids don't want to cycle there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

+1 for St Annes Park . No friction with other cyclists or pedestrians.

Clontarf cycle path always seems to have a few ' outta my way ' riders / groups of cyclists inappropriately taking up both lanes/ dog walkers/ joggers/ people waiting at the bus stop in the middle of the cycle path/ etc etc..

Nightmare with young kids tbh (according to my sister)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Along the Dodder from Butterfield to Old Bawn?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Clontarf cycle path always seems to have a few ' outta my way ' riders / groups of cyclists inappropriately taking up both lanes
    yeah, i've shouted at other riders twice on the cycle path, and don't even use it all that often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

OleRodrigo wrote: »

Clontarf cycle path always seems to have a few ' outta my way ' riders / groups of cyclists inappropriately taking up both lanes/ dog walkers/ joggers/ people waiting at the bus stop in the middle of the cycle path/ etc etc..

What type of individual doesn't make way for kids btw?

I see families using the Clontarf-sutton Cycleway a good bit, I always make sure to slow down etc. Its great to see and needs to be accommodated - people who threaten this with their behavior do not imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The paths around the Vartry Reservoir in Roundwood. It can be busy with walkers though, especially on a Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Ferris wrote: »
    What type of individual doesn't make way for kids btw?

I see families using the Clontarf-sutton Cycleway a good bit, I always make sure to slow down etc. Its great to see and needs to be accommodated - people who threaten this with their behavior do not imo.

Agreed. It would be ideal if anyone riding above 18 kmph during the good weather peak hours would use the road instead, leaving the path to young families.

My sister complained about having to look out for roadie groups riding too fast, but it was their dismissive attitudes of the youngest getting in their way that p**sed her off. She has since started bringing them to St Annes which everyone enjoys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The paths around the Vartry Reservoir in Roundwood. It can be busy with walkers though, especially on a Sunday.

Only discovered the Vartry paths last Saturday and that was while walking with some friends. The full circuit of both reservoirs is about 15km but it can be done as a series of three shorter routes or just out and back on a shorter section. The main entrance and car park is about a km from Roundwood on the Newtownmountkennedy road.
    It was quite enough on Saturday but I can imagine it being a lot busier on a sunny weekend.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2322634458

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Folks thank you all for the suggestions I really appreciate it. I invested in decent bikes for the kids and they are loving the trips.
    On another note most cyclists are very accommodating to kids and smile and encourage them. But there is that 1 in 100 wanker that acts like nothing should exist within their cycle. I had a guy be very very nasty to my then 4 year old on the cycle track in the Blackrock park. Really grated on me for many reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Couple of things

- Howth to Sutton is not a Cycle Path to the best of my knowledge. Not off road anyways...

Sutton to Clontarf is an off road cycle path - however i would agree that there are just too many assholes cycling on it, at speeds that are far too high. Also - the bike path is very narrow (i.e. the gap between the lines of paint) as you move out towards Sutton and what I particularly dont like about it is that the part on the left going out to Sutton is very close to a low wall that has a circa 4ft drop on the other side. I havent heard of any accidents there, but it strikes me as a bit of a hazard. I dont think I'd bring kids on it. Not age 5 and 7 anyway. Maybe a 12 year old.

St Annes is great, just not very big but yes a good shout definitely, probably perfect for that age.

The place I would really really recommend is the Royal Canal. You could go pretty much from the Liffey all the way out.

However the stretch between the Docks and Croke Park is a little bit grotty. I wouldnt say dangerous but there can be a lot of litter, lads leaving cans behing, and a very bad stink of piss when you go under the bridges.

Drumcondra Road to Phibsboro is where it starts to get nice. The only caveat is that you have to cross the traffic road at Phibsboro, there is a pedestrian crossing.

Then from Phibsboro it is completely off road all the way to the 12th lock which is about 6 kilometres. There is good wildlife along the way. Baby swans should be out any time now. There are two otters also, if you are lucky.

The scenery changes a lot as you go along, parts of it feel completely rural. Halfway along - which would be say half an hour for a 5 year old - there is a decent playground in Ashtown, and there is a nice cafe in Ashtown also.

Its completely offroad, no cars visible or audible. Some cyclists, but more pedestrians.

The only issue is the occasional headbanger teenager on a Moped or scrambler. You hear them before you see them. There used to be way more of them, but they are less frequent these days.

Dont mean to be pedantic but Vartry is not in Dublin.

From (the part of Dublin city) where I live - I'd be in Dundalk quicker than Vartry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Probably just outside the hour from Dublin, but the Royal Canal from Ballinabrackey harbour towards Longford is nice.

• Advertisement

i'll certainly put my hand up and say i have motored along the clontarf cycle path at 30km/h and more. but i'd always give priority to families, etc. who woudln't appreciate me bombing past at close quarters.
    one of the times i did shout at cyclists was at a bunch of about 8 cycling two abreast on the section between the causeway road and howth road - where it's narrow - and even though they saw me coming, did not make any attempt to slow or accomodate me. they were taking up the entire width of the cycle path, and basically forced me into the footpath side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Dont mean to be pedantic but Vartry is not in Dublin.

From (the part of Dublin city) where I live - I'd be in Dundalk quicker than Vartry.
    "Dublin Area" is in the thread title, "near dublin" is in the opening post.

Seems to be close enough for loads of dubs to clog up the roads in cars, and on motorbikes and bicycles every weekend! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Dun Laoghaire could be an option. Start in the car park behind the west pier. Or up at sea point. Follow the path along the DART line towards Dun Laoighre, when you get to the roundabout cross over and follow the path “The Metals” as far as Dalkey. And either get the DART back to the start or cycle back

You could include a trip to sandy cove along the promenade and get an ice cream in teddy’s and the playground in the people’s park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

i'll certainly put my hand up and say i have motored along the clontarf cycle path at 30km/h and more. but i'd always give priority to families, etc. who woudln't appreciate me bombing past at close quarters.
    one of the times i did shout at cyclists was at a bunch of about 8 cycling two abreast on the section between the causeway road and howth road - where it's narrow - and even though they saw me coming, did not make any attempt to slow or accomodate me. they were taking up the entire width of the cycle path, and basically forced me into the footpath side.

Hands up for fast riding here too, but fast riders must remember that they're the ones riding above the average speed, and need to act accordingly - I never comment on others' use of the path, except where they are more-than-casual cyclists who should know better (like the group of 8 above), or are putting themselves in danger (stopped in the middle of the path on a busy Sunday morning, checking their phones) - even then, I suggested that it "would be safer on the grass", rather than just giving out to them.

+1 for St Annes Park with under 10's.

PS: The Clontarf path is much less busy during the week and during afternoons every day, if that would fit your schedule.

that's usually when i'd be on it, i'd sometimes take a lunchtime spin up over howth. my boss is quite forgiving on such matters.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Glenasmole reservoir.

Glenasmole is great for kids, bit of tarmac, some nice off-road, lovely scenery and no cars for miles. For those who haven't been there, entrance is here and the loop around the second reservoir is probably the nicest bit. Only been into it once, but kiltipper park directly opposite also looks like a decent spot for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

I second Glenasmole reservoirs. Great spot for kids. No cars. No commuters. Nice views,
    The chance of seeing a red squirrel. There’s tar and Gravel. The kids would be well entertained there.
    It’s a great spot for an adult too on the hybrid or mtb on a quiet summer evening tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭G-Man

Corkagh park. Lots of paths with various diversions.. Fairy park, animal farm, bridges, trout pond, big playground. Easy acecss from m50 or city side.

ALSO HAS A DEDICATED BIKE TRAINING PATH. thats not what I am talking about, but maybe its available as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

I've met stupids in Blackrock Park too; it's one place where my polite hi-there-fellow-cyclist wiggle of a finger is never returned. I get the impression with some of the people speeding through that their brain has gradually drained away into muscle during their intensive training.

Glenasmole is the best place in the world, and you can also tell the kids the story of Oisín's trip to Tír na nÓg, and show them the very stone that Oisín moved off the road being built there (at the Castlekelly end, behind a gate, on the left), and mention that the reason he came there was that he knew he'd find the Fianna in Glenasmole even if he could find them nowhere else, because this was Fionn and the Fianna's favourite hunting place.

Another lovely place in Dublin is along the Dodder in a series of linked parks; you can basically go from Ringsend to Terenure and further, though you'll have to cross busy roads in a couple of places, and there's an on-road section at Beaver Row (or on-path for kids). Stop and look for kingfishers at Ashton's, at the Dropping Well, at the Packhorse Bridge, at Dodder Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Rechuchote wrote:
    Glenasmole is the best place in the world,

I knew none of this desite living here the last few years and heading up there most weekend. I've spent all morning googling and reading up on this, and marking the spots on Google maps, Fionns rock, St Ann's graveyard, the 'rock to the top' project.
    Cheers!!

Rechuchote wrote: »
    show them the very stone that Oisín moved off the road being built there
    the people of kerry will not be happy about this, as this supposedly happened on the ballaghisheen pass (bealach oisin) on the iveragh peninsula.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Folks thank you all for the suggestions I really appreciate it. I invested in decent bikes for the kids and they are loving the trips.
    On another note most cyclists are very accommodating to kids and smile and encourage them. But there is that 1 in 100 wanker that acts like nothing should exist within their cycle. I had a guy be very very nasty to my then 4 year old on the cycle track in the Blackrock park. Really grated on me for many reasons.

Hope you had words with him

No no no, Oisín arrived back to Ireland there, then went to the Hill of Allen to find Fionn, and failing to find him there tried various other places before going "Aha! If the Fianna are anywhere to be found, it'll be in Glenasmole, their favourite hunting place!"

Here's a little genealogical story to tell https://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/ift/ift01.htm

On his return to Lough Leane, Oisin came across a group of men trying to clear a boulder from the path, along what is now known locally as the Bealach Oisin Pass - Oisin's Path in the mountains close to Killarney. As one of the mighty Fianna, Oisin claimed he could move it with one hand and took up the challenge from the men.
    https://www.activeme.ie/guides/bealach-oisin-ballaghisheen-scenic-drive-and-cycle-route-kerry/

i suspect half the counties in ireland will lay claim to this honour.

http://www.irelandsmythsandlegends.com/oisin-and-tir-na-nog
    There was no trace of his father or the fianna. As he passed through Gleann na Smol, the valley of the thrushes, he saw a group of men trying to move a large stone. “I will help you” he said. The mighty Oisín stooped down in his saddle, and with one hand, lifted the stone. But as he did so, the saddle strap broke and he tumble to the ground. Immediately the fairy horse galloped away and a great change came over Oisín. In the blink of an eye the great hero of the Fianna became a withered old man.

Poor old Oisín; like Sugar Kane, he always gets the fuzzy end of the lollipop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Theres a path from Chapelizod down the Liffey to Island bridge, we did that in a loop through the phoenix park, you might have to walk across the liffey in Chapelizod and back in island bridge,

Theres Tolka Valley Park at Ashtown, with cycle tracks all the way down to the Derry road/N2 opposite Glasnevin cemetary

The Grand Canal from Hazel hatch west, and from Portobello east

Newbridge park in Donabate

Theres cycle lanes in the park at Palmerstown, but its very hilly

Castletown Demense at Celbridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

I went for a jog at Malahide Castle earlier today and there were literally dozens of kids on all sorts of bikes, looked like a safe place for kids, if a tiny bit crowded.

My daughters (5 & 7 year olds) are pretty good on bikes but I have never taken them to proper road sharing space with cars and trucks. I take them on the footpath time to time (with me jogging and them on bikes) and that's manageable but sometimes scary. This is all here in Drogheda. Getting them thru the busy Dublin road all the way to the otherside of town to the playground is a challenge that I haven't tackled yet, but I hope to do that this year. Once there, there's a beautiful canal path to Oldbridge house where they have cafe/icecream as motivation, playground to Oldbridge house is about 5k. Up and down (10k) is about perfect distance for 5-8 year olds from my experience so far.

positron wrote: »
    I went for a jog at Malahide Castle earlier today and there were literally dozens of kids on all sorts of bikes, looked like a safe place for kids, if a tiny bit crowded.

My daughters (5 & 7 year olds) are pretty good on bikes but I have never taken them to proper road sharing space with cars and trucks. I take them on the footpath time to time (with me jogging and them on bikes) and that's manageable but sometimes scary. This is all here in Drogheda. Getting them thru the busy Dublin road all the way to the otherside of town to the playground is a challenge that I haven't tackled yet, but I hope to do that this year. Once there, there's a beautiful canal path to Oldbridge house where they have cafe/icecream as motivation, playground to Oldbridge house is about 5k. Up and down (10k) is about perfect distance for 5-8 year olds from my experience so far.

I brought my son cycling with me yesterday - like you say, he is pretty good on a bike. He's 10.

But he just doesnt get the idea of traffic yet.

The idea that for example - we are coming up to a roundabout, that means I need to stop yapping on about Fifa19 and need to focus on that truck thats coming from the right...... no way is he ready for that.

Advertisement