Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids cycling Dublin area

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Rechuchote wrote: »
    show them the very stone that Oisín moved off the road being built there
    the people of kerry will not be happy about this, as this supposedly happened on the ballaghisheen pass (bealach oisin) on the iveragh peninsula.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

work wrote: »
    Folks thank you all for the suggestions I really appreciate it. I invested in decent bikes for the kids and they are loving the trips.
    On another note most cyclists are very accommodating to kids and smile and encourage them. But there is that 1 in 100 wanker that acts like nothing should exist within their cycle. I had a guy be very very nasty to my then 4 year old on the cycle track in the Blackrock park. Really grated on me for many reasons.

Hope you had words with him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

No no no, Oisín arrived back to Ireland there, then went to the Hill of Allen to find Fionn, and failing to find him there tried various other places before going "Aha! If the Fianna are anywhere to be found, it'll be in Glenasmole, their favourite hunting place!"

Here's a little genealogical story to tell https://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/ift/ift01.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

On his return to Lough Leane, Oisin came across a group of men trying to clear a boulder from the path, along what is now known locally as the Bealach Oisin Pass - Oisin's Path in the mountains close to Killarney. As one of the mighty Fianna, Oisin claimed he could move it with one hand and took up the challenge from the men.
    https://www.activeme.ie/guides/bealach-oisin-ballaghisheen-scenic-drive-and-cycle-route-kerry/

i suspect half the counties in ireland will lay claim to this honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

http://www.irelandsmythsandlegends.com/oisin-and-tir-na-nog
    There was no trace of his father or the fianna. As he passed through Gleann na Smol, the valley of the thrushes, he saw a group of men trying to move a large stone. “I will help you” he said. The mighty Oisín stooped down in his saddle, and with one hand, lifted the stone. But as he did so, the saddle strap broke and he tumble to the ground. Immediately the fairy horse galloped away and a great change came over Oisín. In the blink of an eye the great hero of the Fianna became a withered old man.

Poor old Oisín; like Sugar Kane, he always gets the fuzzy end of the lollipop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Theres a path from Chapelizod down the Liffey to Island bridge, we did that in a loop through the phoenix park, you might have to walk across the liffey in Chapelizod and back in island bridge,

Theres Tolka Valley Park at Ashtown, with cycle tracks all the way down to the Derry road/N2 opposite Glasnevin cemetary

The Grand Canal from Hazel hatch west, and from Portobello east

Newbridge park in Donabate

Theres cycle lanes in the park at Palmerstown, but its very hilly

Castletown Demense at Celbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭positron

I went for a jog at Malahide Castle earlier today and there were literally dozens of kids on all sorts of bikes, looked like a safe place for kids, if a tiny bit crowded.

My daughters (5 & 7 year olds) are pretty good on bikes but I have never taken them to proper road sharing space with cars and trucks. I take them on the footpath time to time (with me jogging and them on bikes) and that's manageable but sometimes scary. This is all here in Drogheda. Getting them thru the busy Dublin road all the way to the otherside of town to the playground is a challenge that I haven't tackled yet, but I hope to do that this year. Once there, there's a beautiful canal path to Oldbridge house where they have cafe/icecream as motivation, playground to Oldbridge house is about 5k. Up and down (10k) is about perfect distance for 5-8 year olds from my experience so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

positron wrote: »
    I went for a jog at Malahide Castle earlier today and there were literally dozens of kids on all sorts of bikes, looked like a safe place for kids, if a tiny bit crowded.

My daughters (5 & 7 year olds) are pretty good on bikes but I have never taken them to proper road sharing space with cars and trucks. I take them on the footpath time to time (with me jogging and them on bikes) and that's manageable but sometimes scary. This is all here in Drogheda. Getting them thru the busy Dublin road all the way to the otherside of town to the playground is a challenge that I haven't tackled yet, but I hope to do that this year. Once there, there's a beautiful canal path to Oldbridge house where they have cafe/icecream as motivation, playground to Oldbridge house is about 5k. Up and down (10k) is about perfect distance for 5-8 year olds from my experience so far.

I brought my son cycling with me yesterday - like you say, he is pretty good on a bike. He's 10.

But he just doesnt get the idea of traffic yet.

The idea that for example - we are coming up to a roundabout, that means I need to stop yapping on about Fifa19 and need to focus on that truck thats coming from the right...... no way is he ready for that.

Advertisement