Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No mention of €300 Euro deposit until i receive a letter about it.

Options
  • 30-04-2019 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I took over an account when I moved into my current house a few weeks ago. signed up on the phone with no issues. I asked is there any deposit or charge for setting up account and paying my bill at the post office etc. I was told no there is no charge, just use the easy-pay cards I receive to pay the bill.

I then receive a letter asking for direct debit details, PAYG or 300 deposit. as it is a house share we don't want to use direct debit and the PAYG works out more expensive I understand. I feel I was mis-sold your product. is there anyway to proceed without the 300 deposit?

Comments

etxp wrote: »
    Hi,
    I took over an account when I moved into my current house a few weeks ago. signed up on the phone with no issues. I asked is there any deposit or charge for setting up account and paying my bill at the post office etc. I was told no there is no charge, just use the easy-pay cards I receive to pay the bill.

I then receive a letter asking for direct debit details, PAYG or 300 deposit. as it is a house share we don't want to use direct debit and the PAYG works out more expensive I understand. I feel I was mis-sold your product. is there anyway to proceed without the 300 deposit?

Change over to eirtricity. Especially if you know you'll be there for 12 months

There's no way to stop the letters. I spoke to one of the customer reps on the phone, and they told me they've never cut someone off for not paying the 300 deposit, as long as the bill is paid. But the stress of seeing that letter every month made me switch.

I hated the idea of giving them 300 for nothing, and I honestly didn't have it at the time. Also DD is grand if you've a steady income, but for me as a freelancer, sometimes I need to spread the payments over a few weeks.

I find the idea of the 300 quid deposit incredibly infantilising tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Hi,

Change over to eirtricity. Especially if you know you'll be there for 12 months

There's no way to stop the letters. I spoke to one of the customer reps on the phone, and they told me they've never cut someone off for not paying the 300 deposit, as long as the bill is paid. But the stress of seeing that letter every month made me switch.

I hated the idea of giving them 300 for nothing, and I honestly didn't have it at the time. Also DD is grand if you've a steady income, but for me as a freelancer, sometimes I need to spread the payments over a few weeks.

I find the idea of the 300 quid deposit incredibly infantilising tbh.
    Thanks for the reply, If I change suppliers do I just get a bill out for the amount currently owed to EI or does the new supplier take that cost on?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭shane b

I assume this is the ESB. If you have ever had a bill with them in your name before even if its for another property they may waiver it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I set up the direct debit but I pay into the account weekly, then when it's time for the direct debit to come out the bill is already cleared or else there's only a small amount to come out. Works for me as I'm paid weekly and larger monthly sums don't suit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi etxp,

We are very sorry to read of this error.

For a new customer (and those who were last registered with Electric Ireland at least two years ago) there is a requirement to pay the €300 security deposit (returned after 14 months) if not paying by direct debit or pay as you go (PAYG) meter.

There is a €135 bonus credit for paying by direct debit though, and a 5% saving off the units used on every bill. You can put credit into the account between bills also (as suggested by IvoryTower) by paying with bank card in order to reduce the balance. You can make one further payment as soon as the bill issues, and then allow the remainder to be collected by direct debit (we can defer a direct debit to a later date if the customer requires it, once they contact us immediately, so as to give the bank sufficient notice).

If you are interested in availing of the €135 credit and bill saving, contact Electric Ireland Sales on 1850 30 50 90 (this is a 12-month contract).

Or, if there is someone in the property who was an Electric Ireland customer recently, we recommend that they reopen their Electric Ireland account (closing your new account).

If you wish, private message me the relevant Electric Ireland account number, stating that you are the account-holder and confirming your address and date of birth, for us to look into the matter further for you.
    If I change suppliers do I just get a bill out for the amount currently owed to EI or does the new supplier take that cost on?
    If you change electricity provider, you will receive a bill from Electric Ireland for the balance accrued while an Electric Ireland customer (from your opening meter-reading to your meter-reading that you use to switch away).

Best regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
Advertisement