Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving into Portobello - Advice

Options
  • 30-04-2019 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Moving into a house in Portobello tomorrow.
    • Which bin collection company would you recommend (from Belfast so this is new to me)?
    • Any internet provider advice?
    • Cheapest place to stock up on cleaning products and essentials? Thinking centz?
    • Any recommendations for cheapish furniture shops nearby?

I have a car, registered in the North. Had it a long time. I looked at DCC website and to get your parking permit you need to have an insurance certificate matching the address. In order to get that I would need to go through the whole importation process, is that right?

And finally, where's my nearest Celtic bar? I mean a bar that will show Celtic no matter which EPL side is playing :D

Cheer for the help folks,

Fitz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Peadar Bawns on Clanbrassil street claim to be a celtic pub.
    Wouldn't go near the place myself though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The_Fitz wrote: »

And finally, where's my nearest Celtic bar? I mean a bar that will show Celtic no matter which EPL side is playing :D

Newry. :pac:

As for the car, unless you plan on heading back to Belfast every week and still being primarily resident in the North then you will need to import the car anyway. It won't cost you much to do as you'll be VRT exempt (providing you own it more than 6 months and hold onto it for 6 months after import) and will save you getting stopped the whole time.

It took me a few weeks to get a parking permit sorted when I moved to D8.
    Had to get a few utility bills and get my car insurance address changed.
    It was a hassle paying for parking most of the evenings when I got home after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Portabello is a great spot, youll love it

[*]Which bin collection company would you recommend (from Belfast so this is new to me)?

City Bin, Thorntons, greyhound are some of the main companies generally much of a muchness in terms of price but have google

[*]Any internet provider advice?

Vigrin or sky if you want a tv/internet combo. after that eir maybe for internet but I hear bad things about their customer service.

[*]Cheapest place to stock up on cleaning products and essentials? Thinking centz?

Centz yeah, lidl aldi in rathmines...usual places really

[*]Any recommendations for cheapish furniture shops nearby?

Seeing as you have a car Ikea is probably your best bet, or their is a couple of charity shops on camden st which could be of use..

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The_Fitz

Peadar Bawns on Clanbrassil street claim to be a celtic pub.
    Wouldn't go near the place myself though :o

Right round the corner from me.

Why what's up with it, rough shop?

• Advertisement

Newry. :pac:

As for the car, unless you plan on heading back to Belfast every week and still being primarily resident in the North then you will need to import the car anyway. It won't cost you much to do as you'll be VRT exempt (providing you own it more than 6 months and hold onto it for 6 months after import) and will save you getting stopped the whole time.

I know support has dwindled but not by that much :p

Aye I'll have to, sounds like a melt though bringing it for an NCT. Has to be done I suppose.

It took me a few weeks to get a parking permit sorted when I moved to D8.
    Had to get a few utility bills and get my car insurance address changed.
    It was a hassle paying for parking most of the evenings when I got home after work.

I'd say so. Had a look on google maps and you can park for free from 00.00 to 07.00 on my street.

Might put a "Permit in Post" notice up on the wagon. Delboy style.

Doop wrote: »
    Portabello is a great spot, youll love it

[*]Which bin collection company would you recommend (from Belfast so this is new to me)?

City Bin, Thorntons, greyhound are some of the main companies generally much of a muchness in terms of price but have google

[*]Any internet provider advice?

Vigrin or sky if you want a tv/internet combo. after that eir maybe for internet but I hear bad things about their customer service.

[*]Cheapest place to stock up on cleaning products and essentials? Thinking centz?

Centz yeah, lidl aldi in rathmines...usual places really

[*]Any recommendations for cheapish furniture shops nearby?

Seeing as you have a car Ikea is probably your best bet, or their is a couple of charity shops on camden st which could be of use..

Tremendous - thank you very much for the info.

Right round the corner from me.

Why what's up with it, rough shop?

Ah it's probably fine. I'd prefer the Headline or Leesons Corner for my pint.

What's peoples opinions on paying for each lift? I feel like collecting the bin once a week is a bit much for 2 people but then the bin might be stinking if you do it once a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

What's peoples opinions on paying for each lift? I feel like collecting the bin once a week is a bit much for 2 people but then the bin might be stinking if you do it once a month.

For DCC, I found City Bin has the best deal, fixed price for whole year irrespective of number of lifts although extra charge if black bin is especially heavy. In 3 years i’ve Only had an extra charge once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

I'd say so. Had a look on google maps and you can park for free from 00.00 to 07.00 on my street.

I lived in Portobello for a good few years and the clampers are lethal around there - they were always in the area - you might find parking a few streets away (depending on where in Portobello you are) but some of the smaller lane ways are free parking

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Once you have proof of address, you can apply for visitors permits assuming your residence qualifies. You then use these until you sort your ref plate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ah it's probably fine. I'd prefer the Headline or Leesons Corner for my pint.

You mean Leonards Corner! :) Headline don't show sport bar the Six Nations...

Peadar Browns is a Celtic bar, would be always busy for games and they'll always have the games on over anything. Naomh Padraig CSC used to drink there sometimes but they're in Bad Ass Cafe in Temple Bar now.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Once you have proof of address, you can apply for visitors permits assuming your residence qualifies. You then use these until you sort your ref plate change.

That's the ticket right there.

I'll do that until I can get my head around the import.

Advertisement