Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking at Dublin Mater Private Hospital

Options
  • 30-04-2019 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Hi I've got to drive from Waterford to Dublin Mater Private hospital next week to drop my Dad off for surgery. I've never driven in Dublin before, so I am very nervous. What is the parking like at the Mater, we will be arriving around 06.30 hrs, so I'm hoping parking will be possible. Will getting out from there and onto the M50 be crazy busy around 07.30 am?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ekimiam

mater parking is expensive but you will get a space . at 630 the roads around still should be quiet enough, and for your exit too, head straight up towards the airport and you will be on M50 in no time
    Eccles Street is the enterance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

RubyK wrote: »
    Hi I've got to drive from Waterford to Dublin Mater Private hospital next week to drop my Dad off for surgery. I've never driven in Dublin before, so I am very nervous. What is the parking like at the Mater, we will be arriving around 06.30 hrs, so I'm hoping parking will be possible. Will getting out from there and onto the M50 be crazy busy around 07.30 am?

You should get parking either on the street or in the car park no problem at that hour. You'll be grand going out the N3 to the M50, it will be busy but you're only going two exits to get to the N7/N9.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

ekimiam wrote: »
    mater parking is expensive but you will get a space . at 630 the roads around still should be quiet enough, and for your exit too, head straight up towards the airport and you will be on M50 in no time
    Eccles Street is the enterance

Thank you so much ekimiam!!

Caranica wrote: »
    You should get parking either on the street or in the car park no problem at that hour. You'll be grand going out the N3 to the M50, it will be busy but you're only going two exits to get to the N7/N9.

Cheers Caranica, I've myself in a panic, but your replies have eased my mind a bit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

As stated there's on street parking including right across the road from the Hospital front entrance on Eccle's Street that should be free at that time. From memory it's paid parking from 07:00 so you'll need a ticket to cover you for the last 30 minutes or so.

N3 out to M50 at 07:30 should be fine and will leave you with a relatively short stretch on the M50 to the M7/M9 exit. If you're really worried about traffic google maps does good real-time routing by sending you on the fastest current route to avoid traffic that you can use, but for most that would be overthinking it for marginal time saved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

You can always stop right outside the Mater Private to drop someone off. See image here

mater.jpg

It can be a fair walk from the carpark to the hospital for someone, depending on their age\condition. So can always drop off at hospital door and go park on your own. The car park is not that expensive, see charges here https://www.easytrip.ie/mater-eccles-car-park/

At 6:30am in the morning you probably will get parking on the street.

Thanks a mill CrankyHaus and metricspaces, that's great information. I will hopefully drop Dad at the main entrance and park up. I'm hoping it will be early Sunday morning when I have to collect him, so it should be quiet enough then also. I'll have google map lady with me also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ekimiam

best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Don't forget your m50 tolls if you're travelling north from M7 direction along the m50 beyond the n4. They're well signposted though so you can't miss them.
    And safe motoring :-)

Thanks for all the advice, I made it through Dublin yesterday morning, parked at the spot you pointed out metricspaces, all went fairly well and I didn't end up featuring in the AA Roadwatch bulletin :D

Two more questions

1) I have to go back up tomorrow, will be arriving at around 8.30am, is there likely to be parking on Eccles Street at that time of the morning? I know there is a Eurocar park beside the Mater Private, but the online reviews say that the spaces are very tight, and as I won't be driving my own car, I'd be afraid to take a chance with parking there.

2) When I left the Mater Private, I went to the end of Eccles Street, and took a right at the lights (sat nav told me). I ended up going right into the centre of Dublin and onto the quays. If I took a left at the lights instead, would it take me out towards the M50? We will be leaving the hospital around 11.00am tomorrow, and would be nervous the centre/quays would be very busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Thanks for all the advice, I made it through Dublin yesterday morning, parked at the spot you pointed out metricspaces, all went fairly well and I didn't end up featuring in the AA Roadwatch bulletin :D

Two more questions

1) I have to go back up tomorrow, will be arriving at around 8.30am, is there likely to be parking on Eccles Street at that time of the morning? I know there is a Eurocar park beside the Mater Private, but the online reviews say that the spaces are very tight, and as I won't be driving my own car, I'd be afraid to take a chance with parking there.

2) When I left the Mater Private, I went to the end of Eccles Street, and took a right at the lights (sat nav told me). I ended up going right into the centre of Dublin and onto the quays. If I took a left at the lights instead, would it take me out towards the M50? We will be leaving the hospital around 11.00am tomorrow, and would be nervous the centre/quays would be very busy.

1) Unlikely to be street spaces at 8:30; the car park spaces are no tighter than any other spaces (I actually think they're probably some of the wider spaces in the City) either way, just keep going down to the bottom level, at 8:30 you'll get a space by yourself.

2) Which end of Eccles Street? If Dorset St. then a right turn would absolutely be the wrong direction. Left on Dorset St. and then keep going straight until it turns into the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Two more questions

Left at the city end of eccles st will bring you out to the north side of the city and the M1. You will eventually meet the m50 and it will I think be signposted in Drumcondra.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'd be more inclined to go the other way on Eccles Street past the mater public, turn right then straight out to the N3 and join the M50 there. A much easier drive and shorter time on the M50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

830 on a Saturday should be fine for on-street parking in that area. I'd expect the car park to be ok too.

I would probably do circular road, keep left at the church, down infirmary road, right at the bottom, left through islandbridge and then onto the N4. It'll avoid the toll and city centre, be about the same as N3 navan road and is more straightforward then the above sounds.

1) Unlikely to be street spaces at 8:30; the car park spaces are no tighter than any other spaces (I actually think they're probably some of the wider spaces in the City) either way, just keep going down to the bottom level, at 8:30 you'll get a space by yourself.

I'd agree. Same room, or more, compared to other city center car parks. Go down the bottom level, but check out the top level also for the two points below...

There are some spots at the edge. So you'll only have one car beside you and you can park right up to the side opposite that car which will leave you with more space between you and car.

There's also some spots, I think, in between two pillars. So no car directly beside you.

Thanks a mill for the replies, I appreciate all the advice and suggestions. I have to drive my fathers car, and it's bigger than my own. I'll be praying for on street parking, as I could see the multi-storey being a disaster for me!!

If you're dead set on street parking I would search in the areas I've marked red. Where I have the yellow star, there is actually a back entrance into the Mater Private (I assume it is for staff only and you really aren't meant to be able to get in that way, but I have a few times).

parking.png

Thanks a mill for that metricspaces, very kind of you, and extremely helpful!! Fingers crossed :-)

Caranica wrote: »
    I'd be more inclined to go the other way on Eccles Street past the mater public, turn right then straight out to the N3 and join the M50 there. A much easier drive and shorter time on the M50
    Not necessarily around that time in the morning though.

Also, if you're going for on-street parking I'd recommend the PayZone Parking Tag app as it's extremely handy for paying for parking on the street.

• Advertisement

Thank you all for your help, I got a parking space just outside the Mater Private at 08.20 hrs on Saturday, so I was delighted. Thanks for all the advice and pictures, which were of great help, I was dreading the journeys, had visions of myself causing chaos on the roads in the city, but apart from a couple of wrong turns, it ran smoothly. Dads surgery went very well, hopefully that will be it now :-) :-)

Advertisement