Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband reliability comparrison

Options
  • 30-04-2019 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi All,

Does anyone know a website that shows a comparison of Broadband reliability in Ireland?
    All the comparison websites seem to compare price and speed with no mention of reliability.

I currently have FTTH with Eir and the speeds are great, but their modem is terrible and we keep having to restart it (even after having it replaced). I work from home 2-3 days per week with lots of phone calls (VoIP) so I need a reliable connection. I regularly get dropped mid call with Eir and have to reconnect, which I can do immediately, so not a "real" connection problem. Eventually, it happens so frequently that I need to restart the modem.

Vodafone are apparently now using Eir's FTTH infrastructure to offer up to 1Gbps speeds. I told them my concerns about Eir's moden and asked them what their reliability was like and was told that they use their modem for their television service, so it has to be reliable! But they could not give me any specifics.

So I'd appreciate if anyone has any experience with Vodafone's FTTH too?

Thanks,
    Brendan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If your F2000 is dropping the ball and the optical link is good (you can determine this by looking at the ONT when its down) then you could simply replace the F2000 with a decent 3rd party unit and be done with.

For VOIP applications etc the low jitter on FTTH should be perfect, there really isnt a better offering right now in the residential space.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jtf_ie

ED E wrote: »
    If your F2000 is dropping the ball and the optical link is good (you can determine this by looking at the ONT when its down) then you could simply replace the F2000 with a decent 3rd party unit and be done with.

For VOIP applications etc the low jitter on FTTH should be perfect, there really isnt a better offering right now in the residential space.

Thanks. Excuse my ignorance, but what is ONT? and how to I look at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The ONT is the box your router connects to using a network cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jtf_ie

CoBo55 wrote: »
    The ONT is the box your router connects to using a network cable.

Thanks! I'll check this when it happens again.

One other interesting point is that sometimes the connection will be unusable on some devices, but working fine on others and, again, a reboot of the router solves it.
    For example, I got kicked out of the same phone call 4 times in the space of 10 mins yesterday, but my wife was browsing on her phone at the same time with no issue. A reboot of the modem fixed my issue and the connection was fine for the rest of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 rebelArt2018

jtf_ie wrote: »
    Hi All,

Does anyone know a website that shows a comparison of Broadband reliability in Ireland?
    All the comparison websites seem to compare price and speed with no mention of reliability.

I currently have FTTH with Eir and the speeds are great, but their modem is terrible and we keep having to restart it (even after having it replaced). I work from home 2-3 days per week with lots of phone calls (VoIP) so I need a reliable connection. I regularly get dropped mid call with Eir and have to reconnect, which I can do immediately, so not a "real" connection problem. Eventually, it happens so frequently that I need to restart the modem.

Vodafone are apparently now using Eir's FTTH infrastructure to offer up to 1Gbps speeds. I told them my concerns about Eir's moden and asked them what their reliability was like and was told that they use their modem for their television service, so it has to be reliable! But they could not give me any specifics.

So I'd appreciate if anyone has any experience with Vodafone's FTTH too?

Thanks,
    Brendan.

Hi, best AVM Fritz modems are used by Digiweb, they use 7530 for all FTTH connections, difference is, it's always easy to get through to them, great support and very transparent pricing. Settings on fritz are easy and modems are very reliable,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Do you have any WiFi extenders? Phones will tend to cling onto a weak WiFi signal from an access point, even when a stronger one becomes available. If you have established the connection at one access point (eg in a bedroom) and then move to another (eg the living room), the phone may still cling onto the connection where the initial session started. This may not be a problem for browsing, but phone calls are pretty unforgiving and require good quality uplink capacity on WiFi at all times. It is best not to use WiFi extenders for WiFi calling. Better to use WiFi devices that incorporate the WiFi roaming feature (eg mesh or enterprise WiFi devices), which guarantees seamless sessions as you move from one access point to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Both the Eir and the Vodafone router are pretty crummy.

But you have lots of choice, who to order from. Here's a list of providers: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

The providers of that list, that do FTTH for sure are Airwire, BBnet, Digiweb, Eir, Fastcom, Lightnet, Net1, Pure Telecom, Sky, Vodafone and Westnet.

Of those Airwire, BBnet, Digiweb, Fastcom, Lightnet, Net1 and Westnet are using the Fritz!Box routers, which is probably the best device around.

Sky are using their own router, which is completely locked down.

Vodafone are using their Gigarouter, which works ok, but they seem to have all sorts of issues with their phone service on that router.

Either way .. lots of choice around.

/M

Advertisement