Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My ESTA expires 5 days before I travel, what can I do?

Options
  • 30-04-2019 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

I'm planning on travelling to America on 26th November for two weeks. The current ESTA form I have expires on 21st November.
    Do I need to wait for the current one to expire before applying for a second or can I have two at the same time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

98-00 wrote: »
    I'm planning on travelling to America on 26th November for two weeks. The current ESTA form I have expires on 21st November.
    Do I need to wait for the current one to expire before applying for a second or can I have two at the same time?

I'd ring them and ask tbh. Their number is at the bottom of the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

U.S. Customs and Border Protection Website:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1197/~/esta--general-esta-renewal
    You do not need to wait until your ESTA expires to re-apply. You may do so at any time before, on or after the expiration date of your existing ESTA. Should you receive the message "A valid, approved application with more than 30 days remaining has been found for this passport. Submitting this application will require payment for this application and will then cancel the existing application." you will simply continue with the application to begin your new application. Your prior ESTA will be cancelled and replaced with your new application.

It seems you can apply for a new one at any time, pay the fee and it will cancel and replace the existing ESTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭98-00

Thanks, exactly what I needed to know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Just make sure you go through https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/ and not some random phishing agency on Google. There are endless 'agents' out there trying take a cut or worse, steal your data.

Really needs to be cracked down hard on.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭98-00

Yes, I've seen them. I've used the site several times before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

You can reapply. I had to do it two days before I left

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, when you applied for the current ESTA, it was probably approved immediately. This is a 'heads up' to let you know that they have changed the system and nobody gets instant approval any more. So don't panic when there's a delay and don't leave it until the day before you travel, do it a few days out.

Advertisement