Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Local Elections 24th May 2019

• 30-04-2019 6:46pm

Has anyone got details of which candidates are running in each electoral area? Or isn't that how it works?

Ballymote-Tubbercurry 7 members to be elected
    Sligo-Drumcliff 5 members to be elected
    Sligo-Strandhill 6 members to be elected

32 candidates running in total, with a total of 18 to be elected.

I'm interested to see if there will be any surprises.

Ocean FM always have exceptionally good coverage of the counts and so I'm looking forward to that.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Off the top of my head for Sligo-Cliffoney

Tom Fox FG
    Donal Gilroy FF
    Marie Casserley IND
    Nigel Gallagher PBP

• Thanks, I'm intrigued to see if any of the newcomers will knock out their running partners. For example, I think Blaine Gaffney might squeeze a seat, he seems to have a solid town and younger vote base. And if doing so, at whose expense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Nominations don't close until Saturday :
    There is a week for nominating candidates to stand at local election - this takes place 4 weeks before the polling day. The 2019 period for nominating local election candidates begins at 10am on Saturday, 27 April 2019 and ends at 12pm on Saturday, 4 May 2019.

• Thanks for that. I presume candidates have to formally declare which area they are running in. Is it after May 4th that is announced?

• Advertisement

• Nice one thanks. Without looking at previous tallies, and just focussing on Sligo-Strandhill for now it seems to me that O'Grady, O'Boyle, MacManus, McSharry, and Bree will hold their seats whilst the FG seat will be either Gaffney or Maguire?

And of course I could be way off the mark.

Thanks for that. I presume candidates have to formally declare which area they are running in. Is it after May 4th that is announced?

I would assume the council/returning officer will publish a final list of candidates after the weekend.

• I would assume the council/returning officer will publish a final list of candidates after the weekend.

I see Jimmy McGarry posters going up today, but not on the Ocean FM listing.

One of the candidates was in our estate last night at around 9.30 in Ballisodare, on voting day! What’s that about, he was knocking on doors , I didn’t answer mine though!

• Advertisement

• It's seriously close with Gaffney and Maguire at end of first count. Gaffney 891 and Maguire 890! I think Gaffney will pick up more votes from the left candidates.

The story so far in Sligo Drumcliffe.

Thomas Healy Sinn Fein looks like taking the first seat.

Lik to Ocean FM figures

When are the posters supposed to be taken down by? Still a few of one particular candidate in Ballisodare, don't know if I'm allowed to name them or not?

• zorro2566 wrote: »
    When are the posters supposed to be taken down by? Still a few of one particular candidate in Ballisodare, don't know if I'm allowed to name them or not?

I think they have 10 days to take them down, if they haven't by that time they lose their seat, (that is if they had won one). Nah only kiddin! I think its 10 day or face a fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I think they have 10 days to take them down, if they haven't by that time they lose their seat, (that is if they had won one). Nah only kiddin! I think its 10 day or face a fine.
    its 7 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Posters should all be down by this weekend. But in case any are missed, let the candidate know so they can get them down.
    As someone who helped put a few up, it can be hard to remember where everyone one of them are. :)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Class of 82

Thanks, I'm intrigued to see if any of the newcomers will knock out their running partners. For example, I think Blaine Gaffney might squeeze a seat, he seems to have a solid town and younger vote base. And if doing so, at whose expense?

Disappointed he didn't get elected. Was following him on social media and in the papers and he came across as a very impressive young man.

• Disappointed he didn't get elected. Was following him on social media and in the papers and he came across as a very impressive young man.

Yes I would agree with that. Politics can be a rough and sometimes cruel game. He done exceptionally well for a new comer and built up what I would consider to be a genuinely hard earned and well deserved vote. I hope he has the tenacity to stick with it. He should do well in the future as he seems to be a genuine fella.

Advertisement