Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Implants

• 30-04-2019 7:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭

I don't really know where to start with this.

I've had issues with my teeth for years, some treatment caused the roots to resorb and long story short I've ended up needing implants.

I was taken on as a trial patient by a clinic who were starting to use a new to them system, with various promises made, at a reduced cost to me (how much I don't actually know because I was never given a full costing or treatment plan despite asking for them), but over a year later I'm feeling really disillusioned, that I'm not better off than I was before starting this only now I have very few of my teeth left. I'm in chronic pain, and starting to feel like I've made a huge mistake and been taken for a fool, and am down thousands of €€€.

I don't know whether I was maybe not quite a straightforward enough case for them, as I have a misaligned jaw which has been getting progressively worse, or whether they were just misleading about their experience with the system they were using previously? The communication has been absolutely dire.

I feel like I'm trapped with this clinic because of the point in treatment I am at- surgery done, 4 implants placed, waiting on a permanent bridge for what feels like forever-, and because I wouldn't have gotten treatment for the foreseeable because of the cost if I was paying full whack. I think.

I don't know what to do here. I'm in pain, I'm upset, and feeling incredibly foolish even though I tried to be really careful.

Do I go to another dentist/ periodontist? Would another dentist even want to touch my mouth after someone else has done this work? Do I have any come back for where I've been attending, does being a trial patient mean I have to accept compromises in the standard of treatment?

I'd really appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Dianthus

It sounds very upsetting & disheartening.
    I'm guessing you've tried communicating your concerns with the clinic?
    Sometimes people get so waylaid with the physical treatment that they forget to talk. It would probably be worth booking in for a "consultation appointment" so you can outline everything in detail, ask questions(write a list beforehand so nothing is omitted), get answers.
    Ideally follow this up in writing to ensure everyone is - literally- on the same page .

The DCRS (Dental Complaints Resolution Service) is an excellent resource& you might consider phoning them for advice.

You definitely won't be left stranded ; there will always be someone with a solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

Also to add that you are entitled to your notes which should include your treatment plan and also you are entitled to a cost of treatment plan.

Pain is a treatment priority.
    Try and get out of pain if you can.

Irregardless of trial running a new technique the dentist owes you a duty of care and treatment provided shouldn't fall short of the standard of care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

If you at the stage where the final bridge is to be made you should no be in pain, what is causing the pain? The fact your paying less or on a "trial" does not mean you have to put up with pain, lack of communication or a poor result. Seek a second opinion if you have major reservations is a good idea.

Advertisement