Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation of shrub or plant

Options
  • 30-04-2019 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I've attached a photo of my back garden which we're looking to spruce up with something. On the right of the grass in the photo (about 5ft X 12 ft) , we will be clearing this of weeds and hoping to plant a few small trees or shrubs to bring a bit of colour to that side of the garden. We're open to any suggestions but we're hoping to fit 2 or three things in there and something that wouldn't be more than 3 or 4 feet high.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

They will need trimming however, golden privet hedges and buddleia would be nice. It's probably not the ideal time to plant privet though based on other threads recently about hedges so maybe look into that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Will depend on how much sun it might get but look at Pieris, Hydrangea and Euronymus Alatus if it's colour you're after. Spring/Summer/Autumn colour between those three.

Otherwise consider a heather border. Mix and match each season's flowering heathers for all year around colour that only needs basic maintenance. Also doubles up as a weed barrier when bedded in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I really like the Euronymus Alatus, never heard of it before but it looks really striking. The backgarden gets great sun all day from mid spring to late autumn. In the winter it gets a bit of sun but not a lot.
    Any other suggestions would be great too!

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

That is a great backdrop- it looks too step to be developed in future so you are very lucky. I would go with two or three native trees at most- I would suggest spindle, birch and rowan, with some lower clippable hedging like holly in between.

Given the backdrop, if I were you I would be keen to get some of the wildlife into the garden so a couple of feeders once you have some established hedging for the birds to use as an escape from predators would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Pieris, Hydrangea and Euronymus Alatus
    I'd maybe swap out the Hydrangea for a Fatsia japonica. It's a nice architectural plant that doesn't get too big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ceanothus is a nice splash of colour, Cistus very reliable and no trouble.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

How about forsythias? And fuchsias?

I like some of the new suggestions, that cistus looks pretty nice and manageable too. The plan is to go to a few garden centres around Cork this weekend and hopefully see some of the above in the flesh.

So after visiting a few place I think we're going to go with a small Japanese Maple "Bloodgood". We'll probably put another couple of smaller shrubs either side of it. Thanks again for the recommendations on here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Huge potential in that garden. Climbers on the walls. stream flowing down the slope into a pond. Sorry getting carried away. Acer brilliantissimum spring colour,(might get to big) Pieris forest flame is a beauty, Japanese maple (loads to choose from) and maybe some grasses again loads to choose. Is that a pampas grass I see over your back wall?

• Advertisement

I'm looking at either star jasmine or clematis on the opposite wall, along with some bedding flowers. Forest flame is a good idea for either side of the tree.
    We do have to keep some of the wall free for a climbing wall I've been working on for my smallies :D

Advertisement