Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixing Vaccinated and unVaccinated Lambs?

• 30-04-2019 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I follow a vaccination programme with Heptavac P Plus to cover the ewes prelambing and then their offspring.

Ewes started lambing around mid March,so will be injecting the lambs on Saturday coming as was chatting the vet one day and advice was to treat the lambs at 6 weeks of age,ewes lambed in good tight pattern.

Had around 20 hoggetts that a ram must have broke into.Last week spotted a few with udders.....6 lambed safely already.
    My question is can I continue to let these sheep with the baby lambs graze with the ewes and older lambs when they are not vaccinated?.......
    It would suit me to leave all the sheep together iykwim.

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Hi Folks,
    I follow a vaccination programme with Heptavac P Plus to cover the ewes prelambing and then their offspring.

Ewes started lambing around mid March,so will be injecting the lambs on Saturday coming as was chatting the vet one day and advice was to treat the lambs at 6 weeks of age,ewes lambed in good tight pattern.

Had around 20 hoggetts that a ram must have broke into.Last week spotted a few with udders.....6 lambed safely already.
    My question is can I continue to let these sheep with the baby lambs graze with the ewes and older lambs when they are not vaccinated?.......
    It would suit me to leave all the sheep together iykwim.

Thanks for any replies.

Any views folks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Any views folks?

You should ask your vet,
    Putting young lambs with older lambs leave younger lambs more prone to coccidiosis so it's not advisable to mix lambs with a big age gap when they're young.
    As I say ask your vet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Don't see much off a problem but you will have till give those young lambs 2 shots off heptavac 4 till 6 weeks apart. Wrangler is right in what he's saying aswell.

Chatted the vet,advice was that its fine to continue to graze the young lambs [who wont be vaccinated at wkd] with the mature lambs who will be.

I forgot to mention cocci to vet but don't usually suffer from that in this part of the world [Lovely Leitrim]......

will prob give the 6 week old lambs a white dose on Saturday.....any suggestions for a cheap and cheerful one that does the job?.Have less than 100 lambs this year so dont want to buy a big White dose can that might go out of date by this time next year iykwim,

Lambman wrote: »
    Don't see much off a problem but you will have till give those young lambs 2 shots off heptavac 4 till 6 weeks apart. Wrangler is right in what he's saying aswell.

Hi Lambman,
    when you say that the 'Young lambs' will need two shots of Heptavac 4 to 6 weeks apart do you mean all the lambs or just the week old lambs the hoggetts have?

• Advertisement

Had busy enough morning,worm dosed all lambs with Zerofen,gave them a mineral drench and injected them with Hep P Plus.
    Had around 10 lambs injected with automatic syringe and Hep P Plus before I realized it was only set to around 1 and a half ml rather than 2ml.

Would hope the ten lambs have enough cover got from half a ml less than recommended amount.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Enjoy the Bank Hol wkd everyone,was a sunny but cold day here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Had busy enough morning,worm dosed all lambs with Zerofen,gave them a mineral drench and injected them with Hep P Plus.
    Had around 10 lambs injected with automatic syringe and Hep P Plus before I realized it was only set to around 1 and a half ml rather than 2ml.

Would hope the ten lambs have enough cover got from half a ml less than recommended amount.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Enjoy the Bank Hol wkd everyone,was a sunny but cold day here.

It'll work fine
    Half a ml less won't make any difference, I know farmers that only give a ml
    The minimum age for heptavac is three weeks, just in case you didn't know

wrangler wrote: »
    It'll work fine
    Half a ml less won't make any difference, I know farmers that only give a ml
    The minimum age for heptavac is three weeks, just in case you didn't know

Thanks that’s reassuring,yeah they are all around 6 weeks of age.

Advertisement