Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbing Croagh Patrick

Options
  • 30-04-2019 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭

I'm going to climb the Reek in the next few weeks - along with three others.
    Two of the others would not be particularly fit, so I'm thinking about going up from 'behind' to shorten the trip. I've driven past a car park on the south side and I believe the Mountain Rescue base is around there.

My first question is, is it ok to park there and trek up from there, or is this area reserved for the Mountain Rescue?

Secondly, does it shorten the trek significantly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Never went up on south side, but it is said to be easier and quicker.
    Used by food and tea vendors on pilgrimage days over the years.
    Don't know about the MR car park.
    Suggest you contact Martin Keating at Mayo Co Council Westport

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

megadodge wrote: »
    I'm going to climb the Reek in the next few weeks - along with three others.
    Two of the others would not be particularly fit, so I'm thinking about going up from 'behind' to shorten the trip. I've driven past a car park on the south side and I believe the Mountain Rescue base is around there.

My first question is, is it ok to park there and trek up from there, or is this area reserved for the Mountain Rescue?

Secondly, does it shorten the trek significantly?

I was up there last weekend. Its used as part of Gaelforce.
    Its definitely shorter, I took my 7 yr up and a scatter of kids up. The cone is part of it from both sides.
    You can park there no problem.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,236 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The cone is hardest part and the most dangerous (on the way down) so apart from shortening the trip a little it won't really make that much difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

megadodge wrote: »

It's OK to park there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭megadodge

Thanks for the replies.

I've been up before and am aware of the dangers of the cone, but I think the shorter route will certainly suit two of the party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Shorty69664

Thinking of using the shorter distance for climbing myself later in the year. Where exactly in the MR car park and is it easy to find the trail up?

Have climbed it many times from the Murrisk side but would like to do it from the other side.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thinking of using the shorter distance for climbing myself later in the year. Where exactly in the MR car park and is it easy to find the trail up?

Have climbed it many times from the Murrisk side but would like to do it from the other side.

https://goo.gl/maps/9VommEQ2cgw3pVeG8

Out the Leenaun road from Westport. Taking a right then for Brackloon after the filling station in Knappagh.
    Keep left on that road and then you go about 5k up to the rescue base.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Gally05

yop wrote: »
    https://goo.gl/maps/9VommEQ2cgw3pVeG8

Out the Leenaun road from Westport. Taking a right then for Brackloon after the filling station in Knappagh.
    Keep left on that road and then you go about 5k up to the rescue base.

Keep left on that road and then just before the bridge you need to hang a right , go right in pretty much as far as the road takes you and the mountain rescue cabins will be on your right . plenty place to park there !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The cone is hardest part and the most dangerous (on the way down) so apart from shortening the trip a little it won't really make that much difference.

I'm planning on going up this summer, hopefully in July or Aug. Being a member of the defence forces it won't be my first time on a hill lol but I'll be going up with my son (he's an adult) but wouldn't be particularly fit.

What is 'the cone' and what makes it hard and dangerous?.

I don't mind taking the longer way if it lessens the risk of injury.

And what's the main cause of injury?.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

The cone is rocks/pebbles so the main risk when descending is stones sliding from beneath you.
    It's also quite steep and if its wet that just adds to the risk of falling.

image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Great picture, Biko. Just looking at it makes the ould leg muscles sore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭hopeso

Another first timer thinking of climbing it....Some questions: What clothing/footwear is advisable to wear? Is there a good time of day to start the climb, or do people just wander up and down at all times? And, is the weather likely to dictate if you can climb or not on the day you arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭plodder

hopeso wrote: »
    Another first timer thinking of climbing it....Some questions: What clothing/footwear is advisable to wear? Is there a good time of day to start the climb, or do people just wander up and down at all times? And, is the weather likely to dictate if you can climb or not on the day you arrive?
    Walking shoes/boots ideal but you often see people doing it in runners. If the weather is dry when I do it, I'd wear shorts and light top on way up, and then a few additional layers including rain/wind jacket for way down. So, bring a light back pack to store the extra gear, plus water and snacks. I wouldn't attempt it unless the weather is going to be mostly dry. If you're lucky enough to get a really good day, then I'd do it as early as possible, as there will be lots of people throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭hopeso

plodder wrote: »
    Walking shoes/boots ideal but you often see people doing it in runners. If the weather is dry when I do it, I'd wear shorts and light top on way up, and then a few additional layers including rain/wind jacket for way down. So, bring a light back pack to store the extra gear, plus water and snacks. I wouldn't attempt it unless the weather is going to be mostly dry. If you're lucky enough to get a really good day, then I'd do it as early as possible, as there will be lots of people throughout the day.

Excellent, thank you....

Advertisement