Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Safe

Options
  • 01-05-2019 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Posted this on biker.ie also just wondering will the responses be similar.

Garda one Day training (Bike Safe)

Whatever happened to that?

Remember the traffic core bike lads woukd take a group out and give you a few pointers on your riding.

Bad form they stopped that. Not even a garda presence at the bike show this year. I mean they got lovely new R1200RT-Ps that people would only love to come over and have a chat about and look at.

The RSA chap at the show was a gent and really loved his bikes, loved showing off his flash new bike too, Stephen his name was. Said they were getting a fleet BMW F850gs in for their instructors to test people on.

There is always a police stand up the north or over in the English bike shows.

Some thing the RSA and Garda should get up and running again even if it cost €40 Or €50 to take part in.

I see there is a group from the south heading up to do a one with the PSNI In June or July this year.

Sad state of affairs isn't it.

Come on RSA/Gardai get your act together if you really want to change attitudes and save lives and not just be mouthing off about it and putting stupid adverts on TV.

Get out there on the ground and talk to bikers and attend a few biker meets like they do in NI, the UK and other country's.

Prevention is better the cure/death amazing the difference a few little pointers might make to your riding.

Advice from professional riders is always welcome in my book.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭GBX

One thing to consider about the bike safe is that it was done on a voluntary basis by the Gardai in their free time. It was initiative run by the organisation but basically done by the traffic corps. Likely the numbers of lads offering to do it dropped so much that it wasn't worth their while running it anymore.

I'd contact the local superintendent or even direct to Garda HQ to see what they say about starting it up again - whilst there may be Garda posting on here, top brass won't likely see your complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

2shea wrote: »

Remember the traffic core bike lads woukd take a group out and give you a few pointers on your riding.

Bad form they stopped that. Not even a garda presence at the bike show this year. I mean they got lovely new R1200RT-Ps that people would only love to come over and have a chat about and look at.

The RSA chap at the show was a gent and really loved his bikes, loved showing off his flash new bike too, Stephen his name was. Said they were getting a fleet BMW F850gs in for their instructors to test people on.

Some thing the RSA and Garda should get up and running again even if it cost €40 Or €50 to take part in.

I see there is a group from the south heading up to do a one with the PSNI In June or July this year.

Come on RSA/Gardai get your act together if you really want to change attitudes and save lives and not just be mouthing off about it and putting stupid adverts on TV.

Get out there on the ground and talk to bikers and attend a few biker meets like they do in NI, the UK and other country's.

Prevention is better the cure/death amazing the difference a few little pointers might make to your riding.

There used to be lots of advanced Garda bikers in Dublin Castle. Cutting of funds and failure to buy enough new bikes have whittled away at the numbers which in turn leads to lack of bikes and manpower to run bike safe. So I've been told by a friend of mine who works there and used to do bike safe. Always comes down to money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Last time I got pulled over (2018) the Garda took my details to sign me up for bike safe when the season starts again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Stop attacking the people on the ground: its' not the practicing officers at fault here.

...they had to discontinue it due to insurance reasons iirc. Something about the State being exposed to claims out of it.

Which is bonkers. And stupid. And maddening.

I did it before I did my RoSPA and found it useful.

It's a PC-world, civil-service-safe, bureaucratic problem: the officers were happy to do it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

galwaytt wrote: »
    Stop attacking the people on the ground: its' not the practicing officers at fault here.

...they had to discontinue it due to insurance reasons iirc. Something about the State being exposed to claims out of it.

Which is bonkers. And stupid. And maddening.

I did it before I did my RoSPA and found it useful.

It's a PC-world, civil-service-safe, bureaucratic problem: the officers were happy to do it.

Wasn't "attacking" anyone on the ground, when I say Garda I thought it was pretty obvious I meant the organisation/top brass that would have the say.

The lads that were doing it sometimes on their days off to accommodate people.

RSA should be doing alot more as regards offering training days and raising awareness about bikers with the general public/car drivers.

There was some lady one RTE radio from the RSA talking about bikers and the bank holiday weekend and her attitude towards and way she spoke about them was just awful. Couldn't believe what I was hearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

I noticed there werea few ones with BikeSafe written on the back of their jackets at the RSA launch a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Not even a garda presence at the bike show this year. I mean they got lovely new R1200RT-Ps that people would only love to come over and have a chat about and look at.

They had them at the Young Scientists Exhibition, go figure.

Costs multiples of that to have even the smallest stand at the RDS, never mind one you could fit a couple of bikes and 3-4 officers into

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Advertisement