Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diarrhoea for 2 weeks

• 01-05-2019 4:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

Hey guys

Wondering has anyone any experience of this? I have a 5 month old who has had it for 2 weeks now. No other symptoms only 7 - 10 watery nappies a day where he would have only had 1 usually. He was checked out by the doc but they said it was a bug that was going and could last for weeks?! And as long as they are drinking bottles and no temperature they are fine. I've no experience of diarrhoea lasting that long...and its started to wake him a few times at night. Anyone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Go back to your doctor.
    Are you using powdered milk?
    Are the bottles sterile? Are they freshly made up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Has he lost any weight? If so, doctor, immediately, and direct to A&E if he starts to show actual symptoms of dehydration. Symptoms of dehydration in babies

Dehydration is a real danger for babies when the diarrhoea lasts any length of time, I'm amazed that they seemed so unconcerned about it possibly lasting weeks. Even if he is drinking, can he really drink enough to compensate for that amount of water loss?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It can last to a week or ten days in my experience anyway, but really, I'd take him back to a doctor at this point.He's so small still too.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Bottles are sterilised and all that yes. Well he was just at the doctor on Friday so im not sure what else they will say.. I'm trying to give dioralyte too but its a struggle to get him to drink that. He so happy otherwise its just so strange to just have diarrhoea..Thanks for all your replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

What water are you using to mix milk ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

After having it for so long I would try him on lactose free milk for afew weeks.

The lactose free formula is much easier to digest and gives their intestines time to recover from such a long bout of diarrhoea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Bottles are sterilised and all that yes. Well he was just at the doctor on Friday so im not sure what else they will say.. I'm trying to give dioralyte too but its a struggle to get him to drink that. He so happy otherwise its just so strange to just have diarrhoea..Thanks for all your replies.

It was always a battle to get mine to take that dioralyte stuff too, and TBF to them it is absolutely vile.

I suppose if he's been on Friday then fair enough, but still, 5 months is very small.
    The poster who suggested introducing lactose-free formula milk for a while has a good point, their little intestines can stay fragile for a while after the infection is gone.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Could also be related to the start of teething but still 7-10 a day does seem excessive.

I’d agree with bringing him back to GP even if only for a second opinion.

Advertisement